dcsimg

Bosch router table

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 288 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Okay I was wondering has anyone used this router table and tried to edge joint on it? If it works well enough i can skip a jointer if i am doing thinner stock i guess.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Okay I was wondering has anyone used this router table and tried to edge joint on it? If it works well enough i can skip a jointer if i am doing thinner stock i guess.

Thickness of the stock is not as important as length IMO. Holding straight and true over a short length is easily done on a router table; not so easy for long lengths. Same as a jointer, the outfeed side is set flush with the bit and infeed is set a little further back. Both sides need to be parallel.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Yes, but you’d want to build extensions for the existing fence. The secret to jointing is the fence length. Imperfections in the edge are held consistent on a longer fence and can be jointed out. With a short fence, it is much harder to get a true edge.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Do you have a jointer? I hadn’t thought of using a router table as a sideways jointer, but generally I find that using one tool as a stand-in for another results in tough sledding, either result-wise or in practice. This also would only work for thinnish stock, depending on the length of the bit you’re using. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

I don’t see a problem with edge-jointing with shorter stock as long you can offset a small thickness on the out-feed fence. It is not an uncommon practice.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I don’t see a problem with edge-jointing with shorter stock as long you can offset a small thickness on the out-feed fence. It is not an uncommon practice.

I do it all the time. In fact, my router table came with jointing bars. The fence has three different slots I can insert them for various cut depths..the bars can also be rotated 90* which doubles the number of cut depths to 6.

As I mentioned above, without fence extensions, a router table is best left for jointing shorter stock.

Jon P.
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I do it all the time. In fact, my router table came with jointing bars. The fence has three different slots in can insert them for various cut depths..the bars can also be rotated 90* which doubles the number of cut depths to 6.

As I mentioned above, without fence extensions, a router table is best left for jointing shorter stock.

What is the longest stock you’ve done on the router table with stock fence? I may have to make that my next redemption.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I do it all the time. In fact, my router table came with jointing bars. The fence has three different slots in can insert them for various cut depths..the bars can also be rotated 90* which doubles the number of cut depths to 6.

What is the longest stock you’ve done on the router table with stock fence? I may have to make that my next redemption.

I think I would start shopping for a jointer and save my piggies. You will get your moneys worth on your bench build alone. I just can’t see jointing 8/4 maple on a router table.
    There are lots of good 6″ jointers available for prices that won’t break the bank

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I think I would start shopping for a jointer and save my piggies. You will get your moneys worth on your bench build alone. I just can’t see jointing 8/4 maple on a router table.
    There are lots of good 6″ jointers available for prices that won’t break the bank

I was debating between a jointer or bandsaw, lol… it was one or the other. I haven’t fully decided. I have been keeping an eye on kijiji for a decent jointer or bandsaw but nothing decent has come up so far.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I was debating between a jointer or bandsaw, lol… it was one or the other. I haven’t fully decided. I have been keeping an eye on kijiji for a decent jointer or bandsaw but nothing decent has come up so far.

trust the kijiji tool fairy. Watch what is there every day. The right tool at the right time will eventually show up. Patience, grasshopper! lol

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have a full size jointer in my shop that I never use . it is in great shape .Ill get a few pictures of it later today .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

trust the kijiji tool fairy. Watch what is there every day. The right tool at the right time will eventually show up. Patience, grasshopper! lol

Ain’t that the truth. LOL

I use to watch it every day and even then I’d either be a dollar short or a few minutes too late. 🙁

A couple of years ago I had better luck at local lawn sales.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Ain’t that the truth. LOL

I use to watch it every day and even then I’d either be a dollar short or a few minutes too late. :(

A couple of years ago I had better luck at local lawn sales.

A year ago last summer, when we moved to this home, I had a box of hand tools and an empty shop. The kijiji fairy has been very good to me since then. Lawn sales here haven’t been all that productive for me but I still go to them in hopes of scoring.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Did Bosch change the design of the RA1171 router table?
    At my local Lowes I seen that table with the flat laminated edging.
    (couple reviews are saying that edging comes off after awhile)
    did that happen to somebody so far?

And then there is the; i call it updated version with a rounded edge. (don’t judge if im wrong 😛 )
    I dont know if its made ouf of rubber/wood or plastic.

Attached 2 pictures I found on the internet.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

8 feet I would say.

Jointing something that long is totally possible on a short fence but more passes are necessary and you’ll lose a bit if the width. If the board has a long bow in it and it spans longer than the fence length, you’ll have to straighten the board in smaller sections ( you want realize this, but that’s how it works).

Jon P.
    Instagram

woodman_412

I tried jointing on my Bosch router table last year and actually made a short video about it. I took the video down though after I started the DP Shop Talk channel just because it wasn’t the video quality that I’m going for now. The router table did a good job of jointing the small piece that I tried but I wouldn’t use it for long pieces. I still don’t have my big jointer moved to my new shop so I may end up using the router table at some point for small edge jointing jobs.

Dan

danpattison.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I tried jointing on my Bosch router table last year and actually made a short video about it. I took the video down though after I started the DP Shop Talk channel just because it wasn’t the video quality that I’m going for now. The router table did a good job of jointing the small piece that I tried but I wouldn’t use it for long pieces. I still don’t have my big jointer moved to my new shop so I may end up using the router table at some point for small edge jointing jobs.

If I had a jointer, I’d certainly be using it! I can’t believe you don’t have yours moved yet!

Jon P.
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

Are you guys aware that the Festool planer, a awesome tool in its own right, has a accessory table to convert it to a joiner.

No, I don’t have one, but we demoed it in the Festool workshop that I went to.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

8 feet I would say.

Jointing something that long is totally possible on a short fence but more passes are necessary and you’ll lose a bit if the width. If the board has a long bow in it and it spans longer than the fence length, you’ll have to straighten the board in smaller sections ( you want realize this, but that’s how it works).

Jon,
    If you have a long board that does have a bow in it, are you marking it with a straight edge first to know what to remove? I guess because I have a jointer, never occurred to me to use the router table.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looking forward to when you get that video back up Dan. Sounds interesting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 288 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.822 seconds