dcsimg

Bosch ROS20 pad problem

This topic contains 40 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Here you go @jzmtl – this was so tiny I didn’t even see any writing until I wiped it off and held it up close.

Thank you very much. Yours is made earlier than any of the ones I have.

Intersting that jponto07’s earliest has problem, yours doesn’t, then mine is the latest and have it again. I’m leaning toward it’s a design problem to make it without metal plate, and the plastic is just not rigid enough to retain the flatness.

We’ll see. I’m not sure shimming is possible as the attachment screws are quite near center, so even with shims they can’t pull the edge back to flatter the pad.

I actually meant trying to shim between the pad and the sandpaper. The disc will still stick just fine and hopefully it will be closer to flat.

Ah I see what you mean. I’ll try contact Bosch again tomorrow and see if they are willing to send another one, if not I’ll try it.

Here you go @jzmtl – this was so tiny I didn’t even see any writing until I wiped it off and held it up close.

Thank you very much. Yours is made earlier than any of the ones I have.

Happy to help! Good luck with Bosch.

For what it’s worth I’ve probably only put a 10-12 hours on mine. I wonder if it could be an issue that only appears after a bit more use.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Mine’s like that out of the box, and are the replacement pads. So yours will stay flat.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Was making stuff and forgot to contact Bosch, so I tried heat molding. I managed to bend it so that the center is flush with the rim of the pad, however I can still see some concavity on each of the flat surfaces which I can not fix without melting it. So now instead of an U, it looks more like UU under a straight edge. Not sure if it’s flat enough to use or if it’ll even stay in shape, but I need to sand a bunch of stuff tomorrow so I’ll find out.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I know you need your sander, that is why you bought it, but I would send that pad to Bosch corporate explaining the problem and ask them to chwck t with a straight edge to see the problem. I’d also send them a sanding disc that shows the only the edge worn. Ask them to send me a flat one.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Maybe it’s a case of proactive engineering for those that bear down instead of letting the ROS do the work?
    That way the edges wear down to where they’re supposed to be, and by then the user has figured out the right way to use the ROS.
    🙂

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I know you need your sander, that is why you bought it, but I would send that pad to Bosch corporate explaining the problem and ask them to chwck t with a straight edge to see the problem. I’d also send them a sanding disc that shows the only the edge worn. Ask them to send me a flat one.

I hope they would help in this situation. The have to be aware that there is an issue. If so a solution should be underway if not already available.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I hope they would help in this situation. The have to be aware that there is an issue. If so a solution should be underway if not already available.

They are aware of the problem actually, the rep I chatted with said the problem has been fixed. I think I just got some old stock.

Surprised that they don’t put out a recall on the bad lot of pads. If they know that there was a problem during a certain manufacturing run, they should recall, and replace those pads. Makes for good customer service and relations going forward.

They are aware of the problem actually, the rep I chatted with said the problem has been fixed. I think I just got some old stock.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I suspect it’s not a bad batch problem, but rather some in every batch end up this way given the problem has existed from over two years ago.

Bosch promised to send two flat one this time, fingers crossed. They’ve also requested the bad ones back to analysis, so I’ll send those back once I receive the replacement.

I wonder if this also pertains to pads for other models – the 6″ model for example??

I’m finding it hard to get my head around why there are bad pads in every batch. The fault in the manufacturing process isn’t there all of the time, because not all of the pads are bad.

So, at what point is the process becoming compromised? I’m curious as to how they will determine that from the pads you send back.

I suspect it’s not a bad batch problem, but rather some in every batch end up this way given the problem has existed from over two years ago.

Bosch promised to send two flat one this time, fingers crossed. They’ve also requested the bad ones back to analysis, so I’ll send those back once I receive the replacement.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It’s really strange that a percentage of the pads over a couple years time are flawed. I was turned off by mine within a few days the honest…I was quite surprised to hear the issue had t been fixed!

Are other models effected? How about the ones on the rewards list?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I wonder if this also pertains to pads for other models – the 6″ model for example??

I’m finding it hard to get my head around why there are bad pads in every batch. The fault in the manufacturing process isn’t there all of the time, because not all of the pads are bad.

So, at what point is the process becoming compromised? I’m curious as to how they will determine that from the pads you send back.

Maybe it’s something as simple as a fault with one of the molds on one of the many machines making them. I bet whatever plant is spitting them out is making huge runs of them.

You would think that QC would catch this though.

IMHO.. this is what happens when you offshore to low cost vendors/countries and don’t supervise them rigorously.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

It’s really strange that a percentage of the pads over a couple years time are flawed. I was turned off by mine within a few days the honest…I was quite surprised to hear the issue had t been fixed!

Are other models effected? How about the ones on the rewards list?

I don’t think I’ve read any negative reviews regard that other model, seems to be specific to ROS20 (and maybe ROS10).

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Surprised that they don’t put out a recall on the bad lot of pads. If they know that there was a problem during a certain manufacturing run, they should recall, and replace those pads. Makes for good customer service and relations going forward.

Right, that is why I suggested by-passing and going straight to the top to get the new upgraded pad.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Hey guys,
    I just want to clarify a few things here if I may,,,
    I’ve been having a big probkem with my bosch random orbital palm sander for years now and don’t recall seeing any information back then at all on the subject and since have packed it away so not sure of the model number but my problem is the sand paper flys off Everytime you raise it off the surface your sanding like you have to hold the paper on with pressure
    First thought was it can’t be bosch it must be this crappy paper so I bought some good quality paper and same thing!
    Same paper on my son’s sander had a hard time peeling it of the hook and loop pad, so I bought another Bosch hook and loop pad thinking for sure problem was solved I must have damaged the first one but immediately had the same problem
    But what is the solve? Are we even sure about the concave theory?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Have you tried to get and put a new pad on it? That’s the first thing I would do.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Agree with Dirty – sounds like the hook and loop pad is worn – maybe overheated and melted some. That happens with age and use. The pads are consumable items.

Orange County, CA

I wish it were that easy but from day one I’ve had the problem and bought a second pad and same thing

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Call Bosch Service and report the problem see what they say.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.526 seconds