dcsimg

Bosch ROS20 pad problem

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

So I bought a ROS20 sander a while ago, and a RS35 hard pad together with it. Unfortunately both the pad on sander and the extra pad suffers from the concaved center problem, which seems to be quite prevalent from the amount of complaints on Amazon.

One of the reviews mentioned Bosch now has a new batch that no longer suffers from the problem so I contacted them, Bosch confirm it’s been fixed and sent me two new pads quickly. I just received the pads sent from their Canadian warehouse, but both are date coded either the same or even earlier than the two I already have and suffer from the same problem. All of them are from around mid 2014.

So now I have 4 pads that only sand with 3/4″ wide rim on the paper. I’d really hate to bother then again, but even if I do I don’t know if I’d get two flat pads, or another two duds.

Has anyone suffered the same problem and gotten good replacement? What’s the date code on the good one?

So I bought a ROS20 sander a while ago, and a RS35 hard pad together with it. Unfortunately both the pad on sander and the extra pad suffers from the concaved center problem, which seems to be quite prevalent from the amount of complaints on Amazon.

One of the reviews mentioned Bosch now has a new batch that no longer suffers from the problem so I contacted them, Bosch confirm it’s been fixed and sent me two new pads quickly. I just received the pads sent from their Canadian warehouse, but both are date coded either the same or even earlier than the two I already have and suffer from the same problem. All of them are from around mid 2014.

So now I have 4 pads that only sand with 3/4″ wide rim on the paper. I’d really hate to bother then again, but even if I do I don’t know if I’d get two flat pads, or another two duds.

Has anyone suffered the same problem and gotten good replacement? What’s the date code on the good one?

I purchased an ROS20 this fall and I haven’t seen this issue. Is there a way to check the lot number of the pad? If so I can check it when I get home tonight.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Just remove the four torx screws and the date code is molded in the back of pad.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Here you can see how the sanding pad only wears on the outside rim, and if you put a straight edge on the pad you can see center is not touching.

That makes sense on the date code. I’ll check mine out tonight.

What a weird quirk. They definitely should have caught this.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Here you can see how the sanding pad only wears on the outside rim, and if you put a straight edge on the pad you can see center is not touching.

First time I have ever seen that problem on a new pad. I have seen pads wear out and come apart but not be warped out of the box. Hopefully they will ship you a pad that flat.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I guess they had a bad batch, Amazon review is full of complaints about concave pads from last year and beginning of this year.

The problem I have now is the replacement pads they sent me a week ago are also concave, I’m sure they’ll sent new ones again if I contact them, but apparently their Canadian warehouse still have the warped old ones and I don’t want those. So I don’t quite know how to proceed, but want to find out first when did the new problem free pads came out.

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

I think all random orbit sanders that have hook and loop attachment system suffer from the same defect, although to a different degree. Peel and stick systems are “flatter” since there is no extra layer of hook/loop cushion.

BryanT

I hope these photos are clear enough..

I only had one old sheet of sanding paper and it definitely wasn’t showing the wear on the outer edge.

heres one more of the lot number..

Purchased on 8/20/2014 via Amazon.

Attachments:
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Same problem with mine. I’d guess that I bought the sander about 2 1/2 years ago..not sure of the production date though.

Frankly, the sander has been replaced by a Makita because the Bosch was so annoying to use. Something is wrong if the middle of the disc looks new and the outside edge is falling apart.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think all random orbit sanders that have hook and loop attachment system suffer from the same defect, although to a different degree. Peel and stick systems are “flatter” since there is no extra layer of hook/loop cushion.

I disagree. My Makita ROS wears about as evenly as possible. Id bet a Festool or Mirka would be even better.

Jon P.
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I only had one old sheet of sanding paper and it definitely wasn’t showing the wear on the outer edge.

Thanks, could you take a look at the circle on the opposite side from lot number and see what’s molded inside that?

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Same problem with mine. I’d guess that I bought the sander about 2 1/2 years ago..not sure of the production date though.

Frankly, the sander has been replaced by a Makita because the Bosch was so annoying to use. Something is wrong if the middle of the disc looks new and the outside edge is falling apart.

That’s interesting, so it’s not a one batch problem.

Since the original pad is pooched anyway, I think I’ll try to see if I can heat mold it to flat.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Bosch not using a metal plate in the pad, so the plastic back is subjected to warping. My old store brand sander use metal plate and it’s flat, I think Dewalt use it too.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Since the original pad is pooched anyway, I think I’ll try to see if I can heat mold it to flat.

I’d try to shim the disc before heating the pad…dado stack shims come to mind.

The hooks on the pad will likely melt before the backing becomes pliable enough to reshape.

Jon P.
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

We’ll see. I’m not sure shimming is possible as the attachment screws are quite near center, so even with shims they can’t pull the edge back to flatter the pad.

Thanks, could you take a look at the circle on the opposite side from lot number and see what’s molded inside that?

Is this what you are looking for?

EDIT: Nevermind.. I think I understand now. I’ll get a pic when I head home for lunch later.

Attachments:
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

We’ll see. I’m not sure shimming is possible as the attachment screws are quite near center, so even with shims they can’t pull the edge back to flatter the pad.

hmmmm. What if you cut a hole in some scrap plywood an inch smaller than the disc, center the disc, clamp across it to make it slightly convex, then use a heat gun to carefully heat the back of the pad. Leave it clamped until fully cooled. It just may relax back to being flat. Just a thought

Here you go @jzmtl – this was so tiny I didn’t even see any writing until I wiped it off and held it up close.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I actually meant trying to shim between the pad and the sandpaper. The disc will still stick just fine and hopefully it will be closer to flat.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.591 seconds