dcsimg

Bosch PS42 is on its way.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 329 total)
  • Author
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

So, I just got my own ps42, and I don’t know how I feel about it. The handle is bulky because of the battery fitting into it, and it isn’t much smaller (maybe 1/4″?) than my 20V Max DeWalt, but it doesn’t have near the power. It’s a little shorter from the end of the handle to the top of the motor housing, but not much and I think it forfeits balance because of that. I had the opportunity to look at a Makita 12V and it’s much more ergonomic, and feels a bit lighter. I’m hoping to get a look at a DeWalt 12V soon too. The only redeeming qualities I can think of, would be the EC motor, run time on a 2.0 Ah battery, and the hope that the engineering of a Bosch tool means it’s going to last and last and last. But the whole point in my mind of having a 12V tool is that it’s supposed to be smaller and lighter.

Charlie

Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I agree with some of the 18v stuff out there especially the making they are very short. But overall they are still smaller and some people only have a 12v platform

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Alright, I think I’ve had a complete change of heart – getting the belt clip figured out (I know, it’s dumb, but sometimes those little things are huge!) and now all of a sudden I’m walking around feeling like a cowboy, haha! It doesn’t change any of the specs of the tool, but it sure makes it feel a whole lot more useful, and that little difference also makes it a nicer tool to carry around for repairs than having the whole DeWalt dangling from my pocket, jabbing into my leg every step of the way.

Attachments:

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

So, I just got my own ps42, and I don’t know how I feel about it. The handle is bulky because of the battery fitting into it, and it isn’t much smaller (maybe 1/4″?) than my 20V Max DeWalt, but it doesn’t have near the power. It’s a little shorter from the end of the handle to the top of the motor housing, but not much and I think it forfeits balance because of that. I had the opportunity to look at a Makita 12V and it’s much more ergonomic, and feels a bit lighter. I’m hoping to get a look at a DeWalt 12V soon too. The only redeeming qualities I can think of, would be the EC motor, run time on a 2.0 Ah battery, and the hope that the engineering of a Bosch tool means it’s going to last and last and last. But the whole point in my mind of having a 12V tool is that it’s supposed to be smaller and lighter.

Have you changed your opinion on this tool since you got it @cmeyer25 ?

Other than those follow up comments you made here….

Alright, I think I’ve had a complete change of heart – getting the belt clip figured out (I know, it’s dumb, but sometimes those little things are huge!) and now all of a sudden I’m walking around feeling like a cowboy, haha! It doesn’t change any of the specs of the tool, but it sure makes it feel a whole lot more useful, and that little difference also makes it a nicer tool to carry around for repairs than having the whole DeWalt dangling from my pocket, jabbing into my leg every step of the way.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@doobie Well, I’ve been using it here and there and I do really like it. The hard part is how to tell whether or not I would actually recommend for other people to buy one over another brand’s 12V…and I just don’t know. I’m using it for small, around the house kind of projects, along with a few others that require a bit more from it, and I’ve been really impressed with the longevity of the 2.0 batteries and it definitely has enough power to do anything I’ve needed it for. So really the only two complaints/ hesitations I have about it are that the chuck requires two hands to change bits (with my DeWalt impact you just press a bit in place and then when you depress the chuck, it ejects the bit) and then that the body of the impact is basically as long as any other impact. So it’s not as though there is any real amount of space savings, other than in how long the handle is. Otherwise, I think this little guy is a tank that will last me forever, with plenty of torque for most projects and it’s light enough that it makes overhead work much easier than with either of my 18V drills (Dewalt or Bosch) I also love the LEDs and that you can switch them off if you’re working in bright light and don’t need them, or if they’re washing out some fine details your trying to focus on. The two stage impact settings are nice too for light duty work like small hinge screws etc that are prone to stripping out. And another of my favorite features is having the battery life indicator on the drill. That is just so handy so that you never have to go into a project unsure of whether you’ll have enough juice to complete it or not. And I absolutely love the placement, design and orientation of the belt clip. That feels like a huge design improvement over any of the other ones I’ve ever seen. It’s nice and slim so it fits any pocket or belt without being uncomfortable, and it perfectly balances the tools so that it’s right where you want to grab it to just start using it.

I

Charlie

Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

That’s a great look at it thanks for taking the time. I still need to get one. Its still on my list just not priority.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It’s nice and slim so it fits any pocket or belt without being uncomfortable, and it perfectly balances the tools so that it’s right where you want to grab it to just start using it.

That’s what I have found as well. The PS42 is light compact and powerful for its size. Smooth running as well. To me I’d recommend it to someone looking for a good 12V driver that is well built and will last.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks for the update, Charlie, I can see myself getting a lot of use from a PS42.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

@cmeyer25 thanks for that update,
    I am still liking the IDH182 the 1/4-1/2 inch dual impact , it has a great grip,
    That being said, I will definitely put this impact on my long list to get at some point. You gave some great insight.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@Austin @theamcguy @smallerstick @boschmanbrian you’re welcome! I’m glad you found that helpful!

Charlie

Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think the PS41 is just as good as the 42. Honestly, I regret spending the money on the 42 after having used it a while.

There’s nothing wrong with it, but its basically a new iteration of the PS41! Sure the motor is brushless, but the power is the same…runtime is very comparable too.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I think the PS41 is just as good as the 42. Honestly, I regret spending the money on the 42 after having used it a while.

There’s nothing wrong with it, but its basically a new iteration of the PS41! Sure the motor is brushless, but the power is the same…runtime is very comparable too.

Thanks for telling me that. I dont much like the ps41 compared to the rest of the line and was considering the PS42 hoping it was a huge improvement. I dont need two of a tool I dont really like

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I am sure its a lot better than the ps40. I have it and it seemed like a great tool when I got it 8 or 9 years ago bit man is it a dog compared to anything today. I will probably still get the ps42 but after hearing that I may go for the 41 if the price is a huge difference

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I can’t say anything how it compares to the previous model, the PS41 because I don’t own it…
    I started with the 12V line not too long ago…got the PS22 first and then added the PS42, then PS32
    If the PS41 would be on sale somewhere, I would have purchased it.
    But great to hear that there is no significant difference.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Get one of each..can’t have to many impacts can you @Austin?

Seriously though if price is a concern the PS41 is an awesome impact! The difference in power between the two isn’t noticeable.

I can’t speak for runtime difference..I haven’t done any comparison on that.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I would love to. If I would seen one for super cheap like what I think it was Kevin got a couple for on clearance I would have gotten the 41

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@jponto That’s interesting that there isn’t a noticeable difference between the power of the 41 and 42. Is the 42 any lighter or smaller?

Charlie

Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@jponto That’s interesting that there isn’t a noticeable difference between the power of the 41 and 42. Is the 42 any lighter or smaller?

Its certainly not noticeable to me. Again, I can’t say the 42 is bad…but I’m certainly far from impressed with it compared to the older 41. IMO, its basically the same tool for more money.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Get one of each..can’t have to many impacts can you

In mt days work I use 3 impacts, 2- 12v and 1-18v. And 2 12v drills.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Either the 41 or 42 looks like it would be a great addition to my job-site bag. Will have to pick one up.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 329 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.003 seconds