dcsimg

Bosch PS42 12v Brushless Impact Driver & Wrench (EU: GDR 10.8 V-EC)

This topic contains 152 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  theamcguy 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 153 total)
  • Author

The new Bosch PS42 12v Brushless is set to be released in May 2016.  Here are some pictures comparing this new impact to my existing brushed PS41 and my IDH812. The size of the new 12V PS42 Brushless and the PS41 are almost identical. The body is almost identical. The weight of the new version is a couple ounces lighter. You can feel the difference a little in your hand but it is not drastic. Also here is the weight of the IDH182 just for comparison.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

A few more pics. Also there is one pic of the new impact laying on top of the 182. Other than the longer handle and larger battery attachment there isn’t much difference.

Andrew

At half the weight of the IDH182 its nice to have the option.

I’m curious as to how much of an improvement there is in power. I don’t suppose you have the 12V 4ah cells to test for a noticeable power difference?

For the test I grabbed a piece of 2×6 yellow pine pressure treated lumber and 3″ x 9 GRK type Torx screws. I ran them in until they were flush.

The PS41 and the PS42 were very close…the new PS42 had just a very slight edge on the older model…less than I thought it would have been.

The new PS42 is noticeably quieter then the older model. Not sure if it is just the age of my older impact or if the brushless motor runs quieter.

Obviously the IDH182 smoked the PS42 but I still wanted to see how they compared.

The grip on the new PS42 lost some of the rubber overmold compared to the older PS41. I prefer the older grip with a little more rubber.

The speed specs are identical between the new PS42 and the old PS41.

The light can be turned off on the new PS42 which I feel is a nice feature. It also can be turned on without pulling the trigger which is a really nice feature to have in a dark cabinet or work area.

My 12v 4ah battery is not working so I could not test it to see how much better it does in the new PS42. I will get a new one soon and then do an update.

I am going to try this new impact as well as order the 12v brushless drill and use them as my daily drivers for a while to see if I miss having an 18v. Stay tuned…

Andrew

A few more initial thoughts/findings. I did not do a test where I ran 3″ screws until the battery died. I did however run approx 50 3″ screws in and back out. The impact was much cooler than the PS41 doing the same task.

It also was smoother running the screws in and out. I am not sure if that is due to the new design or the age of my other impact. I have not abused my other impact so I am more inclined to say it is due to the newer design.

The selectable speed/impact torque setting should prove to be useful when driving more delicate screws where you don’t want to strip them or snap off the head. A nice additional feature to the new design.

A few gripes initially are the grip. Like mentioned above it has less rubber than its older brother. Actually the grip on the IDH182 is still my favorite! I wished they could have grabbed from that design a little more.

My only other initial complaint is they are still using the chuck release that requires you to pull the chuck to insert a bit as well as release it. It would have been nice to have the newer style that only requires you to pull to release the bit.

I think that is it for now. Ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Andrew

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

great pictures and video andy.
    I definitely had fun using the PS42 at WOC and just cant wait to get it here in the states.
    the IDH182 is just brutal!

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Good feedback Andrew

What are you mostly intending to use the drill for? I have been considering a small light duty drill for cabinet adjusting or light fixtures…..things where a compact size is better suited than a bulky tool.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Thanks for posting your initial thoughts Andrew….I’d buy it for the sound factor alone! The rest is just a nice bonus!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@topnotch my intention is for my daily activities which include driving framing screws, drywall screws, installing electrical devices, installing doors and cabinets, etc. I have always been a big fan of the size of the Bosch 12v tools. I have a mix of 12v and 18v tools. Some I carry with me and some are at the shop. If things work out like I want I will carry more of my 12v tools with me and none of my 18v.

If I need a beefier impact or drill we have them in the van or truck anyway. These tools will be my go to in my main tool box.

Andrew

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

hopefully the PS42 here in the states will have the same rubber handle than the PS41.
    looks like the rubber they saved at the handle, they added it to the front of the impactor. is that removable?

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

This should be identical to the one you played with @madman_us. The front is not rubber or removable. It is a hard plastic like the rest of the body.

Andrew

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

installing doors and cabinets,

nice video review. The only way it could be better is with back ground music.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Lol @dirtywhiteboy … I agree…just don’t know how to do that.

Andrew

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well I would start with the small or large Power Box and then turn it on.LOL.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

This should be identical to the one you played with . The front is not rubber or removable. It is a hard plastic like the rest of the body.

yeah its the same I played with 😀
    but maybe they will change something on the NA PS42.
    it just looked like a piece of rubber on the picture.
    thats why i thought it would be removable if it gets damaged or so like the Bosch 25618 impactor

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Well I would start with the small or large Power Box and then turn it on.LOL.

🙂 Smartass…I could’ve done that I suppose…I would like to learn how to add audio after the fact to my videos. @jimdaddyo and @woodman_412 really make some exceptional videos compared to my crappy cell phone videos.

Andrew

Thanks for the update Andrew. Great info on the PS41 & 42 comparison.

woodman_412

Thanks for all your thoughts and the video Andrew, great job. Looks like a nice little impact driver. I like that it has power settings like the IDH182.

Dan

danpattison.com

@overanalyze nice little video. Good to see what they do under every day use. Congrats on getting them

Thanks Andy, good demonstration! Thanks for the compliment too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.775 seconds