dcsimg

Bosch PR20EVSK Colt™ Variable-speed Palm Router Review

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So I figured I would make the best of it and use the extra base to mount permanently in my own sub base.

Very nice example of making lemonade when life hands you lemons. Nice job on the mounting fixture.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

woodman_412

So I figured I would make the best of it and use the extra base to mount permanently in my own sub base.

Very nice example of making lemonade when life hands you lemons. Nice job on the mounting fixture.

Thanks Bill. My original plan was to make my own base like this but when I thought I could get the commercially made one for $33 instead of the $50 I had seen it for before I figured I would go that route. Turns out it was cheaper for a reason, it was a different product all together. So it was just a matter of resorting to plan A. It will be nice having the two fixed bases since I won’t have to mount and unmount the base from my custom base plate when I need the fixed base by itself.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I do wish that they had an 8mm option for this router in NA though…

It’s the primary reason I’m waiting for the new one to come out. I have too kany 8mm bits and have never cared for 1/4 inch bits.

I just hope all the bases are interchangeable. That would be a big plus for me.

Dan, I like the homebrew base. I got my replacement collet today and then realized while playing with the installers kit that the offset base with the gear has a collet on it that I could have used while the other one showed up. Oh well.

I think I am going to make a similar base to yours for edge routing DC duties. I think I have about 4 of those under router DC attachments. I just modified one today to go on my rigid oscillating sander.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

woodman_412

I got a chance to play around with my new Colt kit in the shop today. Very nice little router using either base. I tried out the dust collection attachment for the plunge base and it worked great. I like the size and weight of the router when using the plunge base compared to my 1617 plunge base. It feels very agile and precise. I tried out my shop made edge routing base too and the dust collection was perfect. Ran an edge profile and got zero dust. I did a slight modification with some masking tape just to concentrate the suction where the routing is happening and it worked very well. I got the plunge base set up with my shelf pin jig so that’s ready to roll on my upcoming cabinet project.

READ THIS IF YOU HAVE A COLT! Take a look at the pic with my finger in it. I noticed when I was playing around with the fixed base that it wouldn’t sit flat on a surface. It seemed to be high in one spot and rock back and forth. I took the base plate off and played around with it for a few minutes checking everything with a straight edge. What it ended up being is the threaded post that the fine adjustment knob is on was protruding slightly below the machined surface of the base. I took an allan key and screwed the end of the post in further and problem solved. I’m not sure if it’s a common issue or not but if you have a Colt it’s worth checking. Depending on what you were routing it could throw things off.

Dan

danpattison.com

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I got a chance to play around with my new Colt kit in the shop today. Very nice little router using either base. I tried out the dust collection attachment for the plunge base and it worked great. I like the size and weight of the router when using the plunge base compared to my 1617 plunge base. It feels very agile and precise. I tried out my shop made edge routing base too and the dust collection was perfect. Ran an edge profile and got zero dust. I did a slight modification with some masking tape just to concentrate the suction where the routing is happening and it worked very well. I got the plunge base set up with my shelf pin jig so that’s ready to roll on my upcoming cabinet project.

READ THIS IF YOU HAVE A COLT! Take a look at the pic with my finger in it. I noticed when I was playing around with the fixed base that it wouldn’t sit flat on a surface. It seemed to be high in one spot and rock back and forth. I took the base plate off and played around with it for a few minutes checking everything with a straight edge. What it ended up being is the threaded post that the fine adjustment knob is on was protruding slightly below the machined surface of the base. I took an allan key and screwed the end of the post in further and problem solved. I’m not sure if it’s a common issue or not but if you have a Colt it’s worth checking. Depending on what you were routing it could throw things off.

Those look like some great mods. Bet you spent the day having fun with it. I still want to upgrade from my little PC but at this point i think ill wait for the new version.

Thanks for the important tip Dan. I will have to check out on mine.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Duly noted. Thanks for the tip, Dan.

Glad to hear it is working well. Your mods are going to be very handy. I have saved the pics for future reference; the edge moulding guide looks rally easy to build and very effective. Thanks for that, too.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I got a chance to play around with my new Colt kit in the shop today. Very nice little router using either base.

That Colt looks very nice Dan. Glad you like it. I keep looking for a good cordless router.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Just went out and made sure on mine. I thought they were flat. And Nether of my Colts had this problem Dan. So maybe it’s not a very common issue.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Rovik
    Pro

I hope Bosch will have a cordless version in the future like Dewalt have.

Norway

Attachments:
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i dont know if id trust a cordless router just yet.. you need such high rpms with a router to create a clean edge. i dont want to imagine how much it would weight either… the newer dewalt trim router is too massive to honestly be considered a trim router as is

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I hope Bosch will have a cordless version in the future

Yes a cordless Colt would be great.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow I haven’t noticed mine being off like that but I will surely check it, Thanks Dan

Doobie

READ THIS IF YOU HAVE A COLT!

When I read your capitalized wording, I thought you were going to mention the fingers in the opening issue I’ve read about years before. Not sure if Bosch corrected this with a shield of sorts, but I recall that people had mention an insidious little issue with the Colt at times. The possibility of a finger dropping into the opening around the spinning bit and catching the bit. Watch out for this Dan!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

When I read your capitalized wording, I thought you were going to mention the fingers in the opening issue I’ve read about years before. Not sure if Bosch corrected this with a shield of sorts, but I recall that people had mention an insidious little issue with the Colt at times. The possibility of a finger dropping into the opening around the spinning bit and catching the bit. Watch out for this Dan!

yah i’ve heard of this issue as well, thats why i make it a point to consciously keep my fingers away from that opening, I am even tempted to get some sugru and add a little nub there to remind me.

woodman_412

I wondered about that when I read about the finger rest depressions in the base in the instructions. Didn’t seem like an overly safe idea to me. I don’t think I’ll be using that feature on mine. With my edge routing base it’s not an issue anyway since I have a knob to hold onto.

Dan

danpattison.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I hope Bosch will have a cordless version in the future like Dewalt have.

Thank you for posting up the picture of the DeWalt. Did not realize they made one in 20V. Since I have the system…..

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wondered about that when I read about the finger rest depressions in the base in the instructions. Didn’t seem like an overly safe idea to me. I don’t think I’ll be using that feature on mine. With my edge routing base it’s not an issue anyway since I have a knob to hold onto.

At first I thought it was kinda close too but after using it I’m not worried, And I do place my fingers on the base to keep it nice and flat. I’m glad they molded in the spots for fingers

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.497 seconds