dcsimg

Bosch PR20EVSK Colt™ Variable-speed Palm Router Review

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yah as you can see in the photo the registers are round, if it aint broke why fix it. why did they have to change it from rectangular.?

Because they always change stuff just for the sake of change. Burns me up something simple breaks and the replacements never match.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

woodman_412

When I was at Kent today I took a close look at the Colt since I’m going to be redeeming my points for the Colt plunge base kit soon. I took a side by side pic with the Makita which is the trimmer that I’ve had for years. The Colt seems a lot more solid than the Makita. I think I’ll use the Makita as a laminate trimmer still and the Colt as a router.

well it definitely looks like I will need one of these, the circular floor vents are going to be a pita if i don’t use one of these on the laminate.

I’d like to see a pic too. Are you planning to just use a flush trim bit with a bearing and run it around the inside of the duct?

Yah i was planning on using a flush trim bit to run it on the inside of the duct to get the right dimensions. I don’t know what is going on but are they cheapening out and going round for the newer houses.

Yah as you can see in the photo the registers are round, if it aint broke why fix it. why did they have to change it from rectangular.?

Thanks for the pics. That’s really interesting, I’ve never seen registers like that before. Makes sense though rather than going from round to square. Using the trimmer bit should work well.

Dan

danpattison.com

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Yah i was planning on using a flush trim bit to run it on the inside of the duct to get the right dimensions. I don’t know what is going on but are they cheapening out and going round for the newer houses.

Never seen round registers. I would have to wonder how well they push heat/cool for the room size.

If it were me, before the new floor goes down, I’d rip them out and replace with a normal size rectangular.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie

When I was at Kent today I took a close look at the Colt since I’m going to be redeeming my points for the Colt plunge base kit soon. I took a side by side pic with the Makita which is the trimmer that I’ve had for years. The Colt seems a lot more solid than the Makita. I think I’ll use the Makita as a laminate trimmer still and the Colt as a router.

well it definitely looks like I will need one of these, the circular floor vents are going to be a pita if i don’t use one of these on the laminate.

I’d like to see a pic too. Are you planning to just use a flush trim bit with a bearing and run it around the inside of the duct?

Thanks for the pics. That’s really interesting, I’ve never seen registers like that before. Makes sense though rather than going from round to square. Using the trimmer bit should work well.

I’ve never seen that either. How old is your house?

What’s the diameter of the opening? How many you gotta do? Wouldn’t a hole saw be a lot easier? Even using a jigsaw to cut them rough would be fine as there’s a flange that covers an ugly edge anyways.

Never seen round registers. I would have to wonder how well they push heat/cool for the room size.

If it were me, before the new floor goes down, I’d rip them out and replace with a normal size rectangular.

Yes same here Frank, never seen them before, I know they use round for air exchanger vents in the ceilings,

I would do as you suggested, change them for the rectangular,

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’ve never seen that either. How old is your house?

What’s the diameter of the opening? How many you gotta do? Wouldn’t a hole saw be a lot easier? Even using a jigsaw to cut them rough would be fine as there’s a flange that covers an ugly edge anyways.

This isn’t my house, this is someone elses house and it was just built. it was finished less then a month ago . The new owners want laminate flooring installed, i don’t know why they didn’t just pay the original guys to install it. Anyways i haven’t seen the house with my own eyes just yet so i’ll have to measure it out and take the vents out to check the sizing and what can be done with them

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Those are high velocity ducts (at least they should be), not the same system as years gone by. I see them lots in homes with in floor radiant heat. They are used for the AC and air exchange.

Went to use my new colt and the collet is broken out of the box, I didn’t get a chance to see if the dust collection works or not. Kinda sucks…

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Went to use my new colt and the collet is broken out of the box, I didn’t get a chance to see if the dust collection works or not. Kinda sucks…

That really sucks, Brad. I hope everything else is ok.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It’s fine, just over tightened or too loose in shipping I guess. Not a big deal but would have liked to use it.

IMG_3292 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Brad T

woodman_412

That’s a bummer Brad, was that the installers kit? It’s really disappointing when a tool is defective in some way especially when you are excited to try it out and put it to work. I’m sure Bosch will get you fixed up quickly though.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It was on the installers kit and there is already a new one on it’s way. Not sure what happened but on an internet search it looks like a lot of them get broke and there was an aftermarket collet available. Not sure if it’s an issue or not.

Looked like it was on DIY CNC machines that guys where using Colts on.

I do wish that they had an 8mm option for this router in NA though…

Brad T

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That is a shame on a brand new tool. At least it is a easy fix.
    Lets hope it don’t break again.
    I have the installer kit but I think my next redemption may be the colt with the plunge base. I really like the router. I haven’t had any problems with mine.

I agree. Not sure if they offer one across the pond. I know that you can buy one for the MR23 router, and I did. I like 8mm router bits.

Orange County, CA

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

It’s fine, just over tightened or too loose in shipping I guess. Not a big deal but would have liked to use it.

It’s actually pretty impressive that it broke into 4 pieces neatly. Mine hasn’t broke yet, guess I’ll be careful with it in the future.

Doobie

It’s actually pretty impressive that it broke into 4 pieces neatly. Mine hasn’t broke yet, guess I’ll be careful with it in the future.

Never seen one busted up like that. Bummer! 🙁

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Those are high velocity ducts (at least they should be), not the same system as years gone by. I see them lots in homes with in floor radiant heat. They are used for the AC and air exchange.

what is the best way to check when I get there, I guess if they have switches for infloor heating i’ll know, and the best way will definitely be the trim router with the laminate flush trim bit.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Eh I really don’t like stuff out of the box that is broken. You’re already to try it out or use it and now you have to wait for the replacement part.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

It was on the installers kit and there is already a new one on it’s way. Not sure what happened but on an internet search it looks like a lot of them get broke and there was an aftermarket collet available. Not sure if it’s an issue or not.

Looked like it was on DIY CNC machines that guys where using Colts on.

yah quite a few people who have the diy cnc like the xcarve and stuff use the bosch colt router. I found quite a bit of info on the colt through their forums as well.

woodman_412

As I mentioned in the “I got a box” thread there was a bit of a mix up on my order from BC Fasteners for dust collection accessories for the Colt plunge kit that I’m waiting for from BTP. The picture showed the PR007 sub base that has the knob and built in dust collection which is what I thought I was ordering. Turns out that the picture was wrong and it was the PR001 fixed base that I ordered. So I figured I would make the best of it and use the extra base to mount permanently in my own sub base. This is what I quickly put together in the shop today. I used an extra hand plane knob that I had kicking around to mount to the end of the base and then used the edge routing DC cup from my 1617 kit to mount to the bottom of the base. I mortised the Colt base into the ply so that the thickness of ply left under it is equal to what the standard base plate is. This will be my dedicated edge routing setup for my new Colt when it arrives and I will still have the stand alone fixed base that comes with the kit for when I need a small base without the extras. This base should give a lot of stability when edge routing and good dust collection too. I’ll post more pics when my Colt arrives.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

It’s the primary reason I’m waiting for the new one to come out. I have too kany 8mm bits and have never cared for 1/4 inch bits.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.969 seconds