dcsimg

Bosch PR20EVSK Colt™ Variable-speed Palm Router Review

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Thanks. Sounds like it could be user error…I noticed on a video review I saw that there are two marks that need to be lined up and then the base needs to be turned.

In regards to fences, Jason, Microfence makes a nice one to fit lots of routers so you might want to go that route…kind of expensive, but very accurate and extremely well made.

Orange County, CA

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

In regards to fences, Jason, Microfence makes a nice one to fit lots of routers so you might want to go that route…kind of expensive, but very accurate and extremely well made.

Wow, those look very impressive but a bit on the pricey side for something I can probably get away without having. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah…if you do not need that then no reason to spend the money. I use fences all the time in my routers so it is worth every cent to me for this application. You can always make your own with rods or buy some rod stock at McMaster Carr. That and some wood or aluminum is all it should take.

Orange County, CA

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

There is a Porter Cable fence that looks appealing that I have seen. I guess for $40 I can give it a run and if it fails then I can make one or drop the coin on the microfence.

http://www.portercable.com/products/AccessoriesDetail.aspx?ProductID=16399

Jason, here’s the Bosch description of the router:

Benefits: PR20EVSK Colt™ Variable-speed Palm Router Kit
    1.0 HP (Max. Tool Output) — 5.6 Amp Motor -16,000 35,000 RPM
    Rugged Aluminum Fixed Base — Durable, solid and precise
    Fast & Precise Depth Adjustment System — Allows both macro and micro adjustment
    Unique Finger Support Pockets — For additional stability, especially when trimming edges
    Enhanced Bit Capacity — Fixed Base accepts bits up to 1-5/16″ in diameter
    Softstart — Reduces start-up torque
    Constant Response™ Circuitry — Monitors and maintains speed under load for consistent performance and provides overload protection
    Versatile Bit-Changing System – Fast, easy bit changes using two wrenches or spindle lock and one wrench
    Quick-Clamp System — Allows motor to be easily adjusted or moved from base to base
    Palm-grip design with Soft Grip — The most comfortable router in its class
    Angled cord exit — Helps keep cord out of the way
    Straight Edge Guide — Guides router along edges of workpiece or up to 3-5/8″ from edge
    Variable speed dial — For matching speed to workpiece and task

Notice it includes a straight edge guide. I am not sure you need to buy anything additional.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Only additional purchase is an l-boxx. I wonder if there will be an update on this router soon. I love the new “ball joint” cord. I think it would make a great addition to this router.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Nice review Matt. Have you played with speed adjustment?

Thanks Lon – Yes, I have used the speed adjustment, it goes down to I believe 16k for larger bits. I was impressed at how large a bit you can actually fit in to it.

Only additional purchase is an l-boxx. I wonder if there will be an update on this router soon. I love the new “ball joint” cord. I think it would make a great addition to this router.

Those would be some really nice add-ons. Especially the L-Boxx.

You know, like Mark said – a nice update on this router would honestly be to have it come as a 12v option… to be able to just throw a 12v battery on top would be pretty sweet, though the cool ball joint cord would then no longer need to exist

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

A cordless trim router would be pretty sweet.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I am sure a cordless version is not too far off, especially since brushless technology has arrived. Of course for me I like DC and that defeats the need for cordless since you have a hose.

Orange County, CA

Wow, those look very impressive but a bit on the pricey side for something I can probably get away without having. Thanks for the advice.

The benefit of the micro fence despite its cost is its ability to work on guide rails (I am strongly considering getting one for this reason – to fit any brand router onto my guide rail) and it is also really, really great that it fits any router. That way if you have a smattering of routers in terms of brands and whatnot it can do the job for you… But $250 or whatever is a lot to spend on an edge guide. You can also get an additional accessory to be able to do circles easy…

John S

Great point Scot on the dust collection. If you are going to have a hose connected for dust collection what big difference is a cord?

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

If all you were looking for is an edge guide, there are some that fit the palm router for a little over $10.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

The benefit of the micro fence despite its cost is its ability to work on guide rails (I am strongly considering getting one for this reason – to fit any brand router onto my guide rail) and it is also really, really great that it fits any router. That way if you have a smattering of routers in terms of brands and whatnot it can do the job for you… But $250 or whatever is a lot to spend on an edge guide. You can also get an additional accessory to be able to do circles easy…

Funny this came up here, I’ve been thinking about getting one of these. I have tried out the included edge guide on the Colt and it goes work well – an edge guide won’t ever work quite as well as a guide rail though in my opinion.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Another great review Thanks, I’ve been needed a trim router badly as it seems that’s what I use mine for the most anyway and I could put my bigger one in the table..Thanks for the pics too

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I just realized that the price I put up for the guide was for the same on that you had in the pic. Sorry.

I’m not sure if anyone here has seen this review, but I found it helpful and informative for me:
    http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/carving-it-up-with-the-bosch-colt-palm-router-combo-kit/5903

John S

Thanks, John. That is a good review. I think that the Colt looks like a very capable router.

Orange County, CA

I have been using one for a few years now and I love mine. It usually has a 1/8 inch roundover bit in it to break the edge on pieces I am making. I am thinking about getting a second one.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I have been using one for a few years now and I love mine. It usually has a 1/8 inch roundover bit in it to break the edge on pieces I am making. I am thinking about getting a second one.

Funny you mention that, I’m thinking of getting a second one as well. Not that it’s difficult to change bits, but it would sure be nice to have one dedicated to a roundover like you mentioned. I feel less crazy doing it now that you said it.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.490 seconds