dcsimg

Bosch Power Box

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

I received my Bosch Power Box this week and I have been very impressed with it. The Power Box is very well made and I don’t have any doubts that it will stand up to job site conditions the way that it is marketed to.

One of the things I am impressed with most is the versatility of the unit. Having so many audio input options really makes it a well rounded media center, not to mention the charging and power outlet capabilities. I have been using a combination of the radio and music from a USB drive and SD card. By keeping a USB drive and SD card in the unit all the time, you can have 2 different types of music available without even putting an ipod in it. So far I haven’t found the need to put my ipod in since the USB and SD options are working so well. I have also been connecting the Power Box to the computer in my shop to act as speakers.

The other feature that I have found extremely useful is the ability to power the unit from an 18V battery. There are many times when it is much more convenient to run off of battery power rather than plugging it in such as when I’m working outside. I am sure it will get use on family picnics etc as well.

The buttons and knobs work very well and the different functions are intuitive and easy to use. One thing I would like to see changed is making the equalizer setting stored to memory. When you turn the unit off and back on again you have to set it back to the equalizer setting that you want. The sound quality is excellent though and there is plenty of volume available.

One note on the built-in battery charger. I noticed that batteries didn’t seem to be charging in the same amount of time as the dedicated chargers so I contacted Bosch. They told me that the Power Box doesn’t have a fast charge mode so it can take up to 2-3 hours to charge a battery depending on how empty it is. It is great to have battery charging capabilities built into the unit though even if it is a slower charge rate. I would suspect that the reason for the slower charge rate might be heat. Since the battery is closed up inside the unit when charging a fast charge may create too much heat.

The Power Box is an excellent unit and I have been thoroughly enjoying it. It has made a great addition to my shop and will certainly travel with me to site. Thanks again to Bosch and BTP for another great prize!

Dan

danpattison.com

woodman_412

Here are a few photos of my Power Box. I don’t have speakers for my computer in the shop so the Power Box works great for playing tool reviews or music.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

Great reveiw Dan.

I understand that it has a couple of power outlets. Do you know what they are rated? Are the GFCI?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

mark, yes they are gfci, i also have the radio. the multiple options are great for differnt music. the only thing i cant figure out is how to set up the usb drive in folders so you can keep each album in a specific folder.. right now i just have all the music loaded on and play it on shuffle

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Thanks for the great review! It sounds like even though its a little outside of Bosch’s area, they did a great job with it. I expect the next version to have Bluetooth so that it work wirelessly with my smartphone. 😉

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

possible, they did just announce a new compact 18v radio. its over on toolskool.com

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

Mark, the outlets are rated at 10 amps max so you can’t plug any heavy duty tools into it but it will run a lot of power tools. The outlets on the PB360S aren’t GFCI, you have to step up to the PB360D which is the deluxe model to get the GFCI outlets.

Jeff, I don’t think you can put music into folders and have the Power Box recognize it. I have music in folders on the flash drive but I do the same as you and just hit shuffle. I’ve put music on multiple flash drives and SD cards that I had around so that I can at least organize by music type or album similar to making a play list.

Dan

danpattison.com

Dan – this is a really, really great review. I imagine that most power boxes don’t have the luxury of getting to live in as protected of an environment as yours 🙂

Jeff – do you take yours to your job sites, etc… How does it hold up to job site abuse and antics?

John S

And Jeff – you meant to say 12V, right?

John S

woodman_412

I was wondering about that too John, I knew there was a new 12V but I can’t find an 18V unless Jeff knows something we don’t.

Yeah my power box has had a pretty easy life so far sitting in my comfy shop, I’m sure it’ll get tested out on site at some point soon though.

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Thanks for the great review Dan ! I couldn,t of said it better myself . 🙂 I take my radio wherever I do now .

redwood
    Pro

The pictures were worth a thousand words. I’ve never actually seen the PowerBox in person. I had this impression that it was huge. Seeing it in your shop, it doesn’t look so big. Certainly bigger then the Makita that I have, but not overly so.

I’ve heard lot’s of good things about it, It’s moving up my list of wanted items.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Great review Dan ! …. and BTW, your shop is just way too spotless LOL

haha Charles I was thinking the same thing… “Wow – Dan is REALLY organized/clean!”

John S

cranbrook2
    Pro

That is the first thing I noticed too .His shop looks cleaner than my house 😉

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

lol, yup I normally have to blow sawdust off to find things 🙂

woodman_412

Thanks for all the comments guys! My shop isn’t always this clean but I usually try and keep it clean as I’m working and do a big clean up after a project goes out the door. I find I can work more efficiently when my shop is clean and organized so it’s worth the time.

Dan

danpattison.com

I am hoping to get things in order enough to have it be worth our time to see a picture of my setup sometime soon 🙂 haha

John S

cranbrook2
    Pro

You guys are making me wanna go clean my shop now 🙂

woodman_412

I was in the shop today making a mothers day gift for my wife with the help of my daughter, it’s not so clean looking anymore 🙂

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 1,003 total)
  • The topic ‘Bosch Power Box’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.373 seconds