dcsimg

Bosch OMT Starlock Plus to OIS adapter

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

19erik77 wrote:

I received my order today. So I went to my garage to try if it would work, and I can confirm it works flawless.

Nice that it works.

Looks nice as well. Interested to see if it affects the cutting action.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I received my order today. So I went to my garage to try if it would work, and I can confirm it works flawless.

@19erik77
    I also received my adapter. I gave it a test run today, didn’t make any cut but some sanding, seems to work fine. I will do some test cuts later.

However I do have a concern. Once the adapter is mounted onto the OMT, you mount an OIS blade, then you secure the blade with a bolt. This bolt is tightened with a allen/hex key.

It seems the metal used to make this adapter is not as hard as my hex key, so when I used the allen key to tighten and loosen it, after a few times, there is a bit of deformation. Here is a close up of what I am talking about.

I am concern that after a while this hex will become more and more oval.

I haven’t checked to see if the threads are standard imperial or metric threads yet, and whether I can buy another bolt in case this one rounded out. Just curious of you are experiencing anything like mine?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

OK this experiment is over.

I don’t think this adapter works. The idea is nice, but at the end of the day, as I suspected, it failed.

It failed because the design of the Starlock is to provide an interface to transfer more power for faster and more powerful cutting. When you use an adapter to go from a cup shaped 3D interface, to a transitional 2D OIS adapter with OIS blades, the 2D interface is taking too much power.

It was OK if I kept the cutting at speeds 1 and 2 for precision flush cut of a baseboard. However when I turn it to 5 to cut through framing lumber with nails at tight corners where a reciprocating saw can’t reach, the Bosch OMT left “bite marks” on the steel adapter and the OIS screw busted loose a few times. Tried a few times and it’s the same.

Oh well, it was a nice try.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

So with this adapter now out of the picture, I am back to my original dilemma.

In the past I had a Dremel Multimax, two versions of Rockwell’s Sonicrafter, then I bought a Bosch GOP40-30, all corded. I thought using the adapter would allow me to retire the other three, and use the Bosch corded OMT exclusively, but now that the adapter is no longer an option I am back to square one.

I like the Bosch OMT, but limited to Starlock makes it not an attractive choice.

I did a quick check today, not counting the 20 or so blades I am using, I have another 67 BRAND NEW OIS blades, wood cutting, metal cutting, plastic cutting, wide blade, japanese blades, mortar removal, drywall cutting, grinding, carpet shearing, all kinds.

Using Starlock means no more using of these blades.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I hear you which is why I have Bosch OMT with and without Starlock. I would buy another OMT to use the non-Starlock blades. Go corded as cordless does seem to be an issue. I think that is best solution.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I already have three other OMTs that use the standard OIS blades.

I have the Starlock OMT with 4 blades and a bunch of sanding sheets.

The thing is, if I try to run through these blades until they run out then switch to use exclusively Bosch it may be a long time. I may have enough blades for ten years. Which means the Bosch will never be used.

I don’t have space in my tool boxes for two OMTs. Only one can go there. The other three will be sitting unused.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I don’t have space in my tool boxes for two OMTs. Only one can go there. The other three will be sitting unused.

I understand now. I The only thing I can think of is if you think you’ll need extra power take the Bosch, otherwise take the one of the other OMTs and the standard blades.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So with this adapter now out of the picture, I am back to my original dilemma.

In the past I had a Dremel Multimax, two versions of Rockwell’s Sonicrafter, then I bought a Bosch GOP40-30, all corded. I thought using the adapter would allow me to retire the other three, and use the Bosch corded OMT exclusively, but now that the adapter is no longer an option I am back to square one.

I like the Bosch OMT, but limited to Starlock makes it not an attractive choice.

I did a quick check today, not counting the 20 or so blades I am using, I have another 67 BRAND NEW OIS blades, wood cutting, metal cutting, plastic cutting, wide blade, japanese blades, mortar removal, drywall cutting, grinding, carpet shearing, all kinds.

Using Starlock means no more using of these blades.

Man that’s a lot of blades , I can see the delema now , I’ve had the original 2.5 amp bosch corded omt , it was also using the allen key with the set screw like you have , but it definitely wasn’t soft compared to the allen key ,
    Hopefully you get it figured out what will be your go to for everyday carry in the tool box 👍

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I understand now. I The only thing I can think of is if you think you’ll need extra power take the Bosch, otherwise take the one of the other OMTs and the standard blades.

The thing is I keep the tools in mostly TSTAK boxes inside my SUV. Those are the tools I use day to day and takes care of whatever that comes up during a given day. It could be a tenant having a clogged kitchen trap from shoving artichoke hearts down the garbage disposal to changing out a bad ceiling fan to remounting a door that squeaks when opening or closing, or repairing a cabinet door that had hinges pulled out by a dog. I don’t have a full list at the beginning of the day to consider what tools I need to bring, and as I fix one thing the tenants might (and often do) say “while you are here I have this other thing to show you…) so what I do is I store the typical tools I need 90% of the time in the SUV and those are the tools I have. There is one OMT on there, it’s either one or the other I don’t think about better bring this today but that tomorrow.

In some cases I don’t have the right tool I will have to make a second trip but I try to minimize that. For example I don’t carry a rotary hammer with me but if I need one I will have to go back to get it.

Obviously this is different from DIY at home where you may have all the tools laying around and just pick the one you need that is best suited for the task the next minute. This is why a lot of my tool purchasing decisions are different from many others. Easy to carry, convenient to store etc…are as important to me as power and performance. I wish I can have a powerful 15 gallon big round shop vac on wheels but I can’t, so I have to go with a rectangular flat top 2 gallon one that would do the job 80% of the time.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Man that’s a lot of blades ,

Yes I bought blades when they go on sale and I bought lots of them.

At the time since OIS was (it still is) the OMT blade mounting standard so there is no issue with compatibility as every one will support OIS blade. So even if I change OMT brand it’s not an issue.

I also buy lots of reciprocating blades I think I probably have as many recip blades in different lengths, for demo, for wood, metal, carbide, diamond blades for cast iron pipes etc…and you don’t ever think it will go “out of style” like who will come out with a saw that does not use a standard recip. blade?

I like the Starlock plus, I really do. Like it enough to buy the GOP40-30B, and like it enough to even spent $50 for an OIS adapter, but man I hate to have to choose between easier mounting and more power VS pretty much an unlimited supply of blades more than I ever need!!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

but man I hate to have to choose between easier mounting and more power VS pretty much an unlimited supply of blades more than I ever need!!!

Just when you think you have the plan to cover you for years there is a change that messes things up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Man that’s a lot of blades ,

Yes I bought blades when they go on sale and I bought lots of them.

At the time since OIS was (it still is) the OMT blade mounting standard so there is no issue with compatibility as every one will support OIS blade. So even if I change OMT brand it’s not an issue.

I also buy lots of reciprocating blades I think I probably have as many recip blades in different lengths, for demo, for wood, metal, carbide, diamond blades for cast iron pipes etc…and you don’t ever think it will go “out of style” like who will come out with a saw that does not use a standard recip. blade?

I like the Starlock plus, I really do. Like it enough to buy the GOP40-30B, and like it enough to even spent $50 for an OIS adapter, but man I hate to have to choose between easier mounting and more power VS pretty much an unlimited supply of blades more than I ever need!!!

I can totally understand that , well they did it for the omt and grinder , hopefully it doesn’t happen with the recip saw lol

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I can totally understand that , well they did it for the omt and grinder , hopefully it doesn’t happen with the recip saw lol

True, the grinder is another one with the X-Lock.

However the grinder is not as versatile a tool as the OMT so there isn’t any many kinds of wheels to buy.

I have metal grinding, thin masonry cutting, masonry grinding, diamond blades, segmented, a wire wheel, concrete cup…I don’t think there are more than ten wheels for the grinder. Plus I am still on the corded, won’t get into how much juice a grinder eats up again so old corded grinders are still what I use until some brand come out with cordless grinders that can last more than 3 minutes on a 6ah battery.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

well they did it for the omt and grinder , hopefully it doesn’t happen with the recip saw lol

That would throw me for a loop for sure. X-Lock is nice, I have one and like it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

True, the grinder is another one with the X-Lock.

However the grinder is not as versatile a tool as the OMT so there isn’t any many kinds of wheels to buy.

I have metal grinding, thin masonry cutting, masonry grinding, diamond blades, segmented, a wire wheel, concrete cup…I don’t think there are more than ten wheels for the grinder. Plus I am still on the corded, won’t get into how much juice a grinder eats up again so old corded grinders are still what I use until some brand come out with cordless grinders that can last more than 3 minutes on a 6ah battery.

You are right about that , definitely more assortment of omt blades than grinder ,
    I’m still going old school with the grinders , both cordless and corded are not that x lock , I really don’t use them as much to justify the time savings

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I am watching the X-lock grinder closely.

To be honest I am not sure X-lock helps me a great deal. I only change the grinder wheel when I need to change from say masonry cutting to metal cutting or from metal cutting to metal grinding. This is not a very frequent use case.

The OMT, on the other hand, you change blade when you go from cutting wood to cutting nail, from wide cutting to narrow cutting etc…but also when you need to remount the same blade from 0 degrees to 45 degrees. I do mount and remount my OMT blades more often than a grinder wheel.

What I would like is some improvement on grinder’s battery performance. This is not a Bosch only issue but all brands have the same issue. I think there has to be a way to do better than 30 seconds per amp hour.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think there has to be a way to do better than 30 seconds per amp hour.

Man that’s not even worth the effort to pick it up. It’s not a grinder but more like a cutoff tool. Sanders and grinders use a lot of power to stay spinning. I just don’t think the cordless tools are ready to replace them especially in metal/auto body work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I am watching the X-lock grinder closely.

To be honest I am not sure X-lock helps me a great deal. I only change the grinder wheel when I need to change from say masonry cutting to metal cutting or from metal cutting to metal grinding. This is not a very frequent use case.

The OMT, on the other hand, you change blade when you go from cutting wood to cutting nail, from wide cutting to narrow cutting etc…but also when you need to remount the same blade from 0 degrees to 45 degrees. I do mount and remount my OMT blades more often than a grinder wheel.

What I would like is some improvement on grinder’s battery performance. This is not a Bosch only issue but all brands have the same issue. I think there has to be a way to do better than 30 seconds per amp hour.

True , good points , it is pretty rare that I’m changing out blades on the grinder ,

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.276 seconds