dcsimg

Bosch OMT Starlock Plus to OIS adapter

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Guys, take a look at this video, it shows a Starlock Plus adapter that’s home made that lets you use an OIS blade on a Bosch Starlock plus OMT.

Thoughts? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

It’s not available for sale yet, the guy is still refining things, but sent me this video since I have been communicating with him about this.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Are OIS blades that much cheaper? Look you go from click on blades to needing a tool again for blade changes. Here was my solution I have both 18V and 12V OIS and Starlock, no matter the blade I have the tool.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Are OIS blades that much cheaper? Look you go from click on blades to needing a tool again for blade changes. Here was my solution I have both 18V and 12V OIS and Starlock, no matter the blade I have the tool.

I think we discussed this already in earlier posts. It’s not about the price of the blades. There are many reasons some want an OIS attachment mechanism. For example:

(1) You already have say $500 worth of OIS blades in your inventory that can last you for years. You don’t want to spend $250 more to get a new OMT simply to get rid of the $500 of blades you already have.

(2) OIS has a much much wider selection of blades. Specialty blades. I have a OIS blade made by Rockwell that cuts carpets like a pair of scissors would. It works. Bosch does not made an equivalent Starlock blade. There are many speciality blades made by many blade companies that do something more so than the typical cut and sand. You are shutting yourself off these types of blades because the selection of blades from Bosch is very limited. An adapter like this allows someone to use those blades.

The workaround to have a Starlock and an OIS OMT doesn’t work all the time. I have four OMTs laying around, but I only carry one in my truck. I am not going to carry two to serve two blade systems. Real estate in truck storage is a premium. Whatever I carry in my truck is going to get used 95% of the time and whatever additional tools I leave on shelves at home are just back up tools collecting dust.

I said this before, I like the Starlock attachment method for faster mounting and unmounting, but I am not willing to trade blade versatility for easier mounting. This adapter may solve this issue and allow me to consider getting a Bosch OMT.

In addition, if you look at the video, it is a click on. In other words, if all you do is cutting with that blade, you attach it to the adapter once. After that it is snap on and off with the adapter. You can change angles take it off put it back on as easy. It is when you need to change to another blade, then you have to manually remove the adapter.

Doobie

Sorry, I don’t don’t have the brain or the time in my life right now to partake in this discussion as it doesn’t pertain to me right now in any immediate need and the whole OMT compatibility issue is a messy state of understanding.

I have my go-to current herd of Bosch Starlock OMT’s all accessorized in an L-Boxx ready to go. My older Fein’s are backups now. I had accidentally bought some Bosch OMT accessories that were not compatible with any, and fortunately the online vendor took them back for refund.

Would love to dissect this all further, as I have a host of different OMTs by both Bosch and Fein with Fein going back almost 20 years ago and have tons of attachments/accessories for either. Just can’t deal with that right now guys, sorry!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

In addition, if you look at the video, it is a click on.

I can see your point in that light it makes sense. Hopefully they’ll be cheap enough you can get a few and keep different blades mounted on them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I can see your point in that light it makes sense. Hopefully they’ll be cheap enough you can get a few and keep different blades mounted on them.

I have no idea how much this gadget costs once it is available, not whether it really works. It’s made out of someone’s garage LOL.

Here is a picture of the carpet shear attachment made by Rockwell. I bought three when it came out because it really made thick carpet cutting much easier. There is no Starlock attachment that does the same thing. There are a few other attachments I have, and some I have contemplated getting, but if I commit to Starlock, the doors on those would be slammed shut. Having an OIS backup OMT is not going to work for me if it means I need to carry it to different places.

and I just did a count on the blades I have. I have 57 wood cutting blades of various kinds – regular, extra depth, japanese, a dozen or so bi-metal blades, 4 drywall cutting blades, half a dozen super skinny blades to cut lock latches out of door jambs, dozens or sanding attachments of varying sizes and shapes, and hundreds of sanding sheets for those, grout removal, scrapers. carbide, and a bunch of specialty blades. These can probably last me 2-3 years even if I don’t buy any more blades.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Here is a picture of the carpet shear attachment made by Rockwell.

Man that is a handy attachment right there. Never even knew that existed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Note that there are three different types of current Starlock OMT blades:
    Starlock
    Starlock Plus
    Starlock Max

Sorry, late to the conversation.

I think I have the original Starlock version Bosch corded OMT. I am looking for clarification. Will the original Starlock take OIS blades?

Seems I read that somewhere and once they upgraded to the higher levels of Starlock (Plus and Max) that went away. The blades I got with the kit all say OIS compliant on them. Maybe I got it backwards though.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Note that there are three different types of current Starlock OMT blades:

Starlock

Starlock Plus

Starlock Max

Sorry, late to the conversation.

I think I have the original Starlock version Bosch corded OMT. I am looking for clarification. Will the original Starlock take OIS blades?

Seems I read that somewhere and once they upgraded to the higher levels of Starlock (Plus and Max) that went away. The blades I got with the kit all say OIS compliant on them. Maybe I got it backwards though.

The Starlock design is a “3D” interface. Starlock, Starlock Plus and Starlock Max have different designs of the 3D interface to deal with different power transfer requirements.

There are Starlock, Starlock Plus and Starlock Max OMT tools.

There are Starlock, Starlock Plus and Starlock Max OMT blades.

Techically a Starlock Max blade mounted on a Starlock Max OMT tool gives you the maximum power and fastest cutting.

I believe Starlock, Starlock Plus and Starlock Max blades can all be used on non-Starlock OMTs that are OIS compliant, with some exceptions, and perhaps with an adapter.

On the flip side, no other brand blades can be used on Bosch and Fein Starlock OMTs. The only possible exception is if an adapter is made to accept other blade types, but with a price. The price being that you lose the quick change capability – unless you get a bunch of them to use for each blade type. The other thing is this adapter is not made by a tool manufacturer, but by someone in Russia in his garage, so there are risks. Don’t know if it will hold up and don’t know if it’s even safe to use.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Techically a Starlock Max blade mounted on a Starlock Max OMT tool gives you the maximum power and fastest cutting.

That’s the way I understand it as well. Starlock blades are backwards compatible but not the other way around.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I read on Youtube that this adapter will be on the market soon. If it’s not to expensive I really want to buy one. So please notify me with a reply on this post when it can be bought.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I read on Youtube that this adapter will be on the market soon. If it’s not to expensive I really want to buy one. So please notify me with a reply on this post when it can be bought.

where on youtube? the one I posted above is from ebay and you might have found another source. Mind sharing the link to youtube where you found yours to see if it’s the same one? There are quite a few adapters around, some for Starlock NOT PLUS which uses the M7 or M9 screws. Starlock Plus is another story which is what I have been curious about. I don’t know of any Starlock Max adapters.

I saw this one on YouTube, isn’t it the same one?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I saw this one on YouTube, isn’t it the same one?

yes it’s the same one. I thought you meant you saw another youtube video with an adapter, if that’s the case then there are more choices. I have not heard from the person about availability except “soon” but it has been several months. No idea if it’s a real product and no idea if it really works.

In the comments on Youtube he said that it would be available to buy after the 27th of Septembre. But I didn’t got any information after that date, so he has a delay somehow.

claymen
    Pro

Hey.
    While I was doing someone else has already copied my craft and sells =))
    But judging by the photo they have an aluminum alloy casting …
    I finished the steel version here.
    We look.

Airplanes did not fly until August 15, and delivery was from 40 to 120 days, but all the parcels arrived. Now everything has returned to the previous level of 20-30 days.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I bought one. Since it’s not in NA it will take a while to ship, I will do a review once received if anyone is interested.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I bought one. Since it’s not in NA it will take a while to ship

Alright, glad you will keep us updated.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I received my order today. So I went to my garage to try if it would work, and I can confirm it works flawless.

So thank you again.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I received my order today. So I went to my garage to try if it would work, and I can confirm it works flawless.

Nice that it works.

How does it feel when turned on, does it feel like it’s able to make a cut as fast as a Starlock blade?

The reason I am asking is because the reason Bosch came up with this “3D” Starlock interface is because being 3D it has more surface area to mate with the blade, and hence they are able to transfer more power to the blade for the cut or sanding action.

Now, with this adapter, the tool has a 3D interface with the adapter, but the adapter has a conventional connection with an OIS blade, I wonder if the cutting power will transfer nicely or not.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive, and when it does I plan to use a regular Starlock blade with a the tool with and without the adapter and see how they compare when cutting through a 2X4. I am curious to see how you like the adapter.

The adapter is not cheap, it’s $40. Actually that’s how much some low end OMT cost when on sale.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.273 seconds