dcsimg

Bosch OMT Starlock Plus to OIS adapter

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

So, while I was browsing for some consumables and accessories on ebay I ran into an item that is very interesting.

A custom made adapter to allow an OIS compliant OMT blade to be used on a quick change Bosch Starlock OMT. OK not quite, the one I saw is apparently intended for an old Starlock OMT, where the blade is still screwed down. So it’s Starlock but not quick change compatible. I got curious and messaged the seller and he told me he is working on one that will mate to the quick change Starlocks.

Now, there are a few catches.

First, the seller is from Russia…so I have never bought anything from Russia, I did buy some stuff from China on ebay, and they took weeks to get here and about half of them the quality was not what I expected. I don’t know if buying from Russia is the same, or better or worse?

Second, of course, it kind of take away the quick change feature, because your OIS blade is now attached to the adapter, via a screw. So while you can quickly disengage the adapter+blade, you have to remove the blade from the adapter to change the blade or reposition the blade angle.

Third, not sure what that does to the torque transfer mechanism unique to Starlock, will it cause the blade to come loose at the adapter very easily?

On the plus side,

First and foremost, it will allow the use of OIS blade, which is important. For some it’s the lower price of OIS blades, for me, it’s the ability to use an OIS blade NOT from Bosch, if someone makes a good useful blade for a particular application, I would be able to take advantage.

Secondly, the adapter adds about 1/4″ or more to lower the blade, which helps because the big Bosch battery sometimes get in the way of being able to lower and level the tool with the bottom of a shelf or floor.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Tried posting pictures of the adapter but post was swallowed.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Trying attachment – OK looks like attachments are working at this moment.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A custom made adapter to allow an OIS compliant OMT blade to be used on a quick change Bosch Starlock OMT.

I don’t get the idea. First off Starlock blades aren’t that much more expensive. If you buy Bosch Blades they last a long time. Right now Lowes has Starlock Blades on BF special check the store for deals. Why put an adapter on and negate the tool less change feature? Starless blades transfer more power from the tool to the blade. If it was me I’d just buy the Starlock blades. I have a Bosch 18V Starlock OMT and a 12V regular OMT so I can both types of blades.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I don’t get the idea. First off Starlock blades aren’t that much more expensive.

I explained that in the first post but probably not clear enough. It’s not all about the price. It’s about the versatility. There are probably hundreds of TYPES of OMT blades on the market. Bosch makes some of them, not all types. Having an adapter allows you to use Bosch blades, PLUS, as an OPTION, to use the other TYPES. No one is saying to use a $5 cheap wood cutting blade from China, instead of the $10 Bosch blade also from China and lose the quick change feature. There is an OIS blade from Rockwell that is a shear for cutting carpets, there is another blade I don’t remember where, that makes a single pass to make an electrical cutout hole on drywall, there are dozens of interesting special purpose blades that’s made by whoever which may or may not appeal to you, some are ridiculous but some are useful. If you wish to not be shutoff from those options, then an adapter of this sort is the answer for Starlock users (unless you keep an OIS OMT for those blades). I like the Starlock but I don’t like to be handcuffed to only Bosch made blades.

CB
    Spectator

Sometimes it is cheaper, quicker, and easier just to buy the tool that fits the blades you want to use. In this case, buy an OIS OMT. They can be had for as little as $15.. the entire tool, corded. Cordless for as little as $40. Major brand name cordless (Makita) for as little as $79 on sale, and the Makita comes with 3 different adapters to use on OIS, Dremel, and Starlock blades.

Note that there are three different types of current Starlock OMT blades:
    Starlock
    Starlock Plus
    Starlock Max

I think I have 4 OMT’s running around in service. I had to stop using my original Fein Multimaster as it predates OIS.

If the Bosch battery is in the way, are you using a 2.0 ah battery or a larger battery?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I too have three OMT laying around, all corded though. So I am not in a hurry for a new one, but have been keeping my eyes open for a cordless one.

I don’t own a Bosch OMT, for the reasons I stated in my earlier posts. If the Starlock becomes a true industry standard like the SDS or the T-shank where it’s no longer proprietary, or Bosch makes an adapter available to use OIS blades then I may consider it. My running into this adapter (even though not mass produced but custom made by someone in his garage in Russia) may allow me to consider Bosch in my next OMT purchase.

The depth of the battery is one complaint I heard when I browsed through the Bosch OMT reviews last time I considered getting a new OMT. Yes it does depend on which battery, a 2.0 will have less depth and a 6.0 will have more. Of course this is only with the 18V model, the 12V uses a different profile and has no issue, but the 12V does not have quick change even though it is Starlock. The corded is not an issue also. I ended up not getting a new OMT and stayed with the ones I have.

I do think the Starlock being what they called a “3D interface” has more mating surfaces and surface area to allow more powerful transfer of power to the blade which means faster cutting.

CB
    Spectator

Being able to simply change the OMT blade quickly and easily, from a practical experience perspective, beats any and all marketing mantra postulating what theoretical difference may exist between torque transfer based on contact surface area.

Faster cutting can be a function of other factors that exert a more direct influence on the cut… the quality, sharpness, hardness, number of teeth, depth of teeth, coating on teeth, material teeth are made of, shape of teeth, shape of blade, radial arc swing of OMT shaft, oscillation rate of OMT tool, pressure applied by operator… one can quickly get into the weeds with many more influencing factors on cutting speed, so I’d leave the marketing mantra on the page, where it belongs.

In the field, quick blade changes make the most meaningful difference to the overall speed of the job, not just the speed of making the cut.

And blade changes do not necessarily mean changing blades. Often it means just changing the position of the same blade, where clocking the blade differently relative to the axis of the tool enables better access to what needs to be cut. Sometimes a blade change means just flipping an offset blade upside down (not something that can be done with Starlocks).

My Porter Cable OMT sucks in several ways… the switch location being the number one offensive element in suckage, with noise being number two. But the blade changing lever is as close to instantaneous as one can get, short of being beamed up into the Starship Enterprise. The better built, more ergonomically shaped DeWalt iteration of cordless OMT, made by the same manufacturer (SBD), sports the same quick change blade lever. Brilliant design, that works with all slotted OMT blades.

Which is also the designs downfall… the blades need to be slotted. Closed circle OIS blades will not work.

You’re absolutely right in that there are many specialty blades and accessories that are only available in Bosch’s previously established standard… the OIS. The demand for those specialty blades likely doesn’t justify the cost of licensing Bosch’s newest Starlock standard.

Or, the manufacturer’s of the blades may be small but innovative patent holders, like FALX in Canada. I couldn’t use FALX blades on a Bosch Starlock, nor on my Porter Cable (or the better DeWalt) spring lever quick change blade release system. I’d have to drag out my old Fein, and then find an allen wrench for the upmteenth time (I’ve renamed my Fein “Find”) to use FALX blades.

It made sense for me to add a Makita cordless OMT to the arsenal, which comes with three adapters to use all kinds of blades from different manufacturers. The Makita has a lever release clamp design similar to the latest design Feins, neither of which are as quick in blade changes as the Starlock or slotted blades with a Stanley Black And Decker spring clamp. But both of those systems are limited to compatible blades, whereas that isn’t a factor with the Makita.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I may consider the Makita OMT. I like the profile and the battery coupling is a vertical motion and not a horizontal one, so the tool can operate at a horizontal position when cutting something close to the floor or ceiling when a 6.0 battery is used.

Right now my go to OMT is a Sonicrafter F80. It’s corded. it works OK. It has a “tool-less” blade change, which is NOT the same as a QUICK blade change although it’s quicker than using an allen wrench which is what I needed to do with my other corded ones. The tool-less change uses a lever and you have to wind it or unwind it to engage the blade. The Sonicrafter has two oscillating angle options 3.2 and 5, I rarely change it from 3.2 most times I want a nice square notch without minimal overcut. For the most part it does what I need it to do but faster cutting, easier blade change and cordless would be nice. I really like the grip of the DeWalt OMT with a skinny neck in the middle gives you more control, but I don’t want to go with another battery platform. I might move in with the Makita platform if I decide to go that route on my landscape tools. I tried out the M18 OMT and didn’t like the feel of it.

I saw another OMT and right now I can’t remember which it is and it has a magnetic coupling so when you do your quick blade change and put the blade on it stays in place without you having to hold onto it with one hand while flipping a lever with the other.

CB
    Spectator

The magnet is interesting.

Can you add a magnet (drill a hole through it, or whatever it takes) to one of your current OMTs? A neodynium one?

I had a problem with the new truck body I ordered… the stake gate release lever kept drooping into the body on the sides and into the tail lights on the rear when the gates were swung down in the open position.

Screw mounting magnets on the stake gates to catch the lever when slid open is my solution. It works for me, but hasn’t been tested by the crew yet, who can break the unbreakable, and in short order.

But the idea of adding small powerful magnets to things to solve problems has been growing on me.

About 25 years ago I put a magnet in the outgoing mail slot of a neighborhood mail collection center for a minor subdivision I worked on.
    A quarter of a century later, that magnet was still there, doing it’s job keeping the slot door closed.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Bosch used to have an adapter that was about the size and thickness of a quarter that you used to fit different blades. I have a couple laying around still. I will try to find one and get a photo.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Bosch used to have an adapter that was about the size and thickness of a quarter that you used to fit different blades. I have a couple laying around still. I will try to find one and get a photo.

I think you are referring to the Bosch OMTs before Starlock? As far as I know Starlock, Starlock Plus and Starlock Max OMTs have no adapter for other blades. You have to get Starlock compatible blades. The Starlock blades themselves can be mounted onto OIS compliant OMTs. Before Starlock came along Bosch was OIS compliant and you can use different adapters to mount other blades.

CB
    Spectator

Bosch was “OIS compliant” because Bosch invented and introduced OIS.

Most of the OMT manufacturers jumped on board, likely due to seeing how Bosch can invent a blade mounting standard, like T shank jigsaw blades and SDS bits, that has staying power.

But Fein, the originator of the OMT, didn’t jump on board with OIS.

So Bosch and Fein collaborated on a new standard, the Starlock, and also the Starlock Plus and Starlock Max, to address Fein’s concerns about the mechanical integrity of the OIS mount when subjected to higher loads from more powerful OMTs doing tougher tasks.

The Makita came with two adapters about the size of a quarter, and while a Starlock OMT blade can be used in the Makita, the 3 dimensional holding power of the bottle cap design of the Starlock is not taken advantage of in the same way as a Bosch or Fein OMT.

The Bosch OIS adapter that Kurt is referring to is likely this one…

NOTE: The original version to this post had links to the sources of the information contained therein. The links were removed in order to post.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Dose this mean I will need adapters for my older Fein’s when I end up having to buy the newer blades?

I have a bunch of older ones that I got cheap that we are working through.

CB
    Spectator

Depends on how old your Feins are.

My Fein is so old, it’s basically just a bolt, no pawls or cleats at all.

I only use it for sanding now, where axial blade torque drift kind of adds some random orbit action.

The blades I use the most (Imperial 360’s) cost $30 for a two pack… so it doesn’t take many blades to exceed the cost of the OMT itself.

So I know what you mean about working through old blade inventory. It’s cheaper to buy an older model tool to match the blades on hand, rather than new blades to fit a new model tool.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I remember now which OMT has the magnetic interface I mentioned in an earlier post, it’s the Dremel MM40-05. It has a “Innovative Quick Hold™ magnetic accessory interface holds the accessory in place while changing accessories so you don’t have to.”

Since Dremel is a Bosch company, I assume sooner or later the magnetic blade pickup and easier slide into position may be something Bosch may adopt for the Starlock system…or on second thought, may be not, because Starlock is very proud of the quick hands free blade ejection. If it’s magnetic, it can’t be ejected.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Here are some of the OMT adapters I have. I have two more somewhere I am too lazy to find LOL.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Starlock is very proud of the quick hands free blade ejection.

Starlock is nice. They have that thumb lever and the blade just ejects. It really is a nice feature.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I see now there are some adapters available on eBay. All made by hand all from overseas like Norway, Russian.

Trying to debate whether to throw in $30 to get one to try it out.

But then I realized one thing. There are three kinds of Starlock blades. Starlock, Starlock Plus and Starlock Max. The adapters are for Starlock only.

In other words, if I get a Starlock to OIS adapter, I cannot use it on a Starlock Plus OMT.

…and I wonder even if possible, I should. This is because this 3D interface is designed for maximizing power transfer. I think if I use an adapter to OIS, the 3D interface is between the tool and the adapter, where the weak link is now between the adapter and the OIS blade. If I crank on the power, will the blade comes loose easily in mid cut? Perhaps.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’d contact the seller and see exactly what the adapter fits.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.269 seconds