dcsimg

Bosch new brushless

This topic contains 136 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  theamcguy 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

My understanding is that brushless motors provide higher hp, and (in most cases) higher torque at high rpm

However, brushed motors offer higher torque at lower rpms, which means that a brushed motor is a garbage truck compared to brushless’ sports cars. Not as fast, not as much horsepower, but WAY more grunt at the lower bands

That would explain why some tools benefit from brushed motors. Brushless is an amazing new-ish tech, but it adds to our choices, it doesnt replace what came before. Not always better, just different and better at different things

Yeah bit unless you had no power who would want to use a cordless grinder all day. If I was using a grinder all day it would be corded where possible.

My understanding is that brushless motors provide higher hp, and (in most cases) higher torque at high rpm

However, brushed motors offer higher torque at lower rpms, which means that a brushed motor is a garbage truck compared to brushless’ sports cars. Not as fast, not as much horsepower, but WAY more grunt at the lower bands

That would explain why some tools benefit from brushed motors. Brushless is an amazing new-ish tech, but it adds to our choices, it doesnt replace what came before. Not always better, just different and better at different things

Yeah bit unless you had no power who would want to use a cordless grinder all day. If I was using a grinder all day it would be corded where possible.

Considering grinders are not all that fast, I would imagine the benefit is less on total runtime and more on low-speed torque. Grinders need that

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Bosch is not embracing brushless on the grinders just yet. They are staying brushed and claiming increased reliability when used all day long. With brushless if the electronics heat up the unit shuts down until it has cooled. Bosch claims their grinders will go all day long without that problem.

Yes, I have read that someplace, I would like to see some kind of comparison video runtime and about the difference between the two, headed one on one. Would be interesting to see,

So would I. Not runtime before battery goes flat. Runtime in minutes or hours before the tool stops/overheats, swapping out batteries quickly as they die

Could be a relevant metric for tuose of us who have a stack of batteries on rotation with battery life alreadypast the “good enough that Im not annoyed” stage

Yes, thanks Eric, that’s what I meant, not necessarily the runtime buy the battery, but exactly what you mentioned. About the tools not overly heating and shutting down.

So far, have not experienced any tool shutting down because of this.
    I have been hearing a couple of people talking about the IDH182 not working, then starting up again after a few minutes.

I managed to get my HDH181X to smoke and shut down drilling 1-1/8 holes 12 inches deep into birch with an auger bit…. 4 fatpacks drained before it happened though

Geeze, it must have had the active response kick in a couple of times,
    Is it still working good?

Bosch is not embracing brushless on the grinders just yet. They are staying brushed and claiming increased reliability when used all day long. With brushless if the electronics heat up the unit shuts down until it has cooled. Bosch claims their grinders will go all day long without that problem.

Yes, I have read that someplace, I would like to see some kind of comparison video runtime and about the difference between the two, headed one on one. Would be interesting to see,

So would I. Not runtime before battery goes flat. Runtime in minutes or hours before the tool stops/overheats, swapping out batteries quickly as they die

Could be a relevant metric for tuose of us who have a stack of batteries on rotation with battery life alreadypast the “good enough that Im not annoyed” stage

Yes, thanks Eric, that’s what I meant, not necessarily the runtime buy the battery, but exactly what you mentioned. About the tools not overly heating and shutting down.

So far, have not experienced any tool shutting down because of this.
    I have been hearing a couple of people talking about the IDH182 not working, then starting up again after a few minutes.

I managed to get my HDH181X to smoke and shut down drilling 1-1/8 holes 12 inches deep into birch with an auger bit…. 4 fatpacks drained before it happened though

Geeze, it must have had the active response kick in a couple of times,
    Is it still working good?

Just fine. It popped constantly though

I think this is why Bosch put in a little warning LED to let the user know when the DDS183/HDS183’s overheat protection is kicking in and needs to cool off. I know on some of the 12V tools (NAINA Bosch Dremel) they also have the overload/overheat protection that’s indicated by a warning LED as well.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

I think this is why Bosch put in a little warning LED to let the user know when the DDS183/HDS183’s overheat protection is kicking in and needs to cool off. I know on some of the 12V tools (NAINA Bosch Dremel) they also have the overload/overheat protection that’s indicated by a warning LED as well.

Yeah, you are right. My Bosch 12V angle grinder has the warning LED.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Is that bosch dremel brushless also?

I doubt that its brushless. It is NAINA, but it also beats the 12V Dremel since it constant electronics (As Bosch calls it) so it’ll crank up power to try to keep the RPMs up under load.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

I doubt that its brushless. It is NAINA, but it also beats the 12V Dremel since it constant electronics (As Bosch calls it) so it’ll crank up power to try to keep the RPMs up under load.

Also, it uses Bosch battery, which the highest capacity of 4.0Ah.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That must of been one tough piece of wood, that is an instance where a corded old school brushed motor was needed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That must of been one tough piece of wood, that is an instance where a corded old school brushed motor was needed.

Sure was. Bit and brance finished the job. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Oh really. I thought that kind of tech wasn’t possible with some of the brushed stuff.

@austin

I’m fairly sure it depends on the control circuitry implementation. The 4100 tablesaw has a brushed motor and it also has the load compensation electronics like the routers (Brushed motors again).

I mentioned this before on another topic, but this was one of the things I noticed with Bosch drills. They try to maintain RPMs under load. Brushed and brushless versions, at least to my knowledge on some models. I have a 12V Ridgid drill and a Ridgid 12V driver and they don’t have that feature so you have to feather the trigger for low RPM finessing.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Bosch is going to release a new brushless grinder later on but I believe they’re also timing the release with their new Eneracer batteries (The packs with physically bigger cells).

madman_us would have more details on the grinder than I do. I only saw some screencaps from a video of it.

you have a little touch display on the tool and you can change settings like speed and different users. I kind of forgot some others features of it

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Bosch is going to release a new brushless grinder later on but I believe they’re also timing the release with their new Eneracer batteries (The packs with physically bigger cells).

Interesting to see how they will market it as their current marketing strategy is to emphasize the reliability of the brushed motors in their grinders and the ability to go all day long.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Interesting to see how they will market it as their current marketing strategy is to emphasize the reliability of the brushed motors in their grinders and the ability to go all day long.

Well I am pretty sure that its the bluetooth model and in order for the bluetooth to control it I think it has to be brushless

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well I am pretty sure that its the bluetooth model and in order for the bluetooth to control it I think it has to be brushless

Maybe they will emphasize how you can customize it then.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.506 seconds