dcsimg

Bosch Nailers

This topic contains 20 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Thatkid 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I wanted to pick up an additional set of nailers for my cabin. Based on the high regard everyone here has for Bosch and my own experiences with Bosch, I thought I would go that way. The recently introduced Bosch 23 gauge pinner received high reviews. So I start looking at the 18 gauge brad nailer and 18 gauge narrow crown stapler and found some good prices. What bothers me is that in the reviews on Amazon, half the people give them a 5 star and half give them a 1 star. Does anyone have any experiences with these Bosch nailers in particular and with Bosch nailers in general? With all the great things BTP has done for me, I want to buy Bosch but am I going to have buyer remorse?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Just tagging this for interest as well. I have read GREAT reviews on the 23 pinner and it looks like that same tech is in the crown stapler. I find amazon reviews frustrating and need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

your right about amazon reviews, the issue with them is you dont know whos doing the review. a review by a weekend warrior is useless to me as i want to know how a tool performs day in day out. also sometimes the person doing the review doesnt even know how to use the tool in teh first place then says its junk because they dont know how it works….

as for bosch nailers, the 23 gauge is a good gun i have it. it was a late addition to their lineup i believe it came out 2 1/2 years after bosch came out with nailers, they had a chance to fine tune some issues they had with the other guns

i have the 18 gauge, i wasnt too pleased with it. it struggles to sink 1 1/2 brads in pine 1/4 round and doesnt even come close to sinking 2″ nails in hardwood. i know several guys that bought the framing gun and had them in and out of the shop for repairs several times within the first 6 months of buying them.

brands of guns id recommend are hitachi, paslode and senco. all 3 of these companies specialize in nailers. both in performance and durability.. porter cable makes an decent diy gun

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Lon – I too have been curious about the reality of how good the Bosch nailers in light of those amazon reviews… but I would feel safer going with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Grex-Power-Tools-1850GB-18-Gauge/dp/B004WN5JO8

Attachments:

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

This might seem like a silly question, but do nail types (brand) have anything to do with performance? I have a PC 18 nailer and it works OK, but I do find the nails can shoot sideways with the PC brand nails so I tried another brand and they seemed to work better..

Brad T

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have had Framing guns work better with different brands of nails. I also have an 18 Ga Paslode that work better with Paslode nails of a specific length because other manufacturers nails don’t fit in the guide slots as well and are different lengths. one Manufactures nails are 1 1/4″ and the other is 1 3/8″ and the gun is set up for the other nail better. one of the things manufacturers do to keep you loyal to their nails.

Also my Paslode joist nail gun will not shoot Hitachi Joist nails well but shoots Paslode and Generics well. they are all the same angle nail. some guns get a little finicky.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

This might seem like a silly question, but do nail types (brand) have anything to do with performance? I have a PC 18 nailer and it works OK, but I do find the nails can shoot sideways with the PC brand nails so I tried another brand and they seemed to work better..

As long as the nails are the same degree they should all work and providing the gauge is the same .

Oh absolutely. Nails are usually the culprit in any jam.

Years ago in my framing days, the GC thought he was so freakin’ smaht that he bought me som Fanaco nails. Biggest pile of crap I have ever used. I swear they used vaseline instead of glue to coat the nails. Stood up an interior wall and boom…fell apart.

redwood
    Pro

Not all nails are created alike. Buy American nails and you stand a fighting chance. Some of the Chinese nails are of a quality you don’t want to use.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

SamM
    Pro

I had one PC nailer that would not fire certain brands of nails. Same gauge and length, but would not fire them at all.

Has Bosch updated their nailers much? I need to get a framing nailer at some point and I was considering saving points for theirs.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

That Bosch 23ga is on my really short list. I have an 18ga paslode that is working OK right now but I think a thinner pin would help for some of this light pine work that I have been doing as of late.

Thanks for the pointers on the different manufacturers of nails. I would not have thought of that. Sounds like Paslode makes some good nails.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I had a bad pack of brads a little while back, took me a while to figure out that’s what the problem was. Now I only buy Paslode or Cadex and I rarely have any problems with jams.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I’m liking the Bosch 23g and I believe it will be an item I get from the site when I get enough points!

I went to the Bosch site to look at the 18 gauge and 16 gauge air tools to see what was there in the way of reviews. Some folks loved them and a few had problems. Bosch Customer service asked that those who had a problem call them to discuss. So, I thought why not call them and ask about the reviews that said the tools did not work well. Talked to Brianna, who was quite helpful. It turns out as mentioned in the posts above, the issue was with the nails. Folks were using the wrong nails in the gun and it would not work properly. She advised me what brands work well with their guns. She restored my confidence I would be getting a good tool. It was my first call the Bosch Customer Service. I won’t hesitate to call again.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That’s pretty cool on the Bosch CS. I have read those reviews as well and it soured me from their bigger nailers.

Are you going to purchase one?

Brad T

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I like that CS story. It really gives me a warm fuzzy. I have been on the phone with other CS persons from other companies, and they have been less than helpful.

Anonymous

I’ve had both good and not so good conversations with the Bosch CS reps, Mostly good though. As far as amazon reviews? I don’t trust any of them, People are weird and write anything they want in them just for fun. Good or bad, It’s not like you have to buy the thing to post a review.

redwood
    Pro

With almost any review, it’s probably human nature that you are more apt to post a negative review then a positive review. If you have a positve experience it’s a good day and you keep on going, if you have a bad experience, you stop and want to tell someone and reviews are one way of doing that.

Of course that is not to say that all negative reviews are not warranted, but I think the ratio between good and bad reviews may be skewed.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I do not have any Bosch nailers other then the framing nailer. It felt okay, and sunk the nails like they said it would. Unfortunately it sounded like a 22 going off. Loud, loud, loud! So it sat on a shelf for a while.

Then I tried to take it apart one day. I put it back together and it would only fire the nails half way. So that was my fault. I should have sent it in but, aint nobody got time fo dat!

One of these days it will get fixed. Until then the trusty Hitachi framers will be the work horses.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.523 seconds