dcsimg

Bosch MR23 Router Accessories, Templates and Guides Review – BTP Review

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  thedude306 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

With so many big tool purchase that we make for our shop, I think we often miss the small items that can make a job go so much easier and smoother. A case in point is the available items for the Bosch MR23 line of routers. This is the new router that gets a lot of its heritage from the timeless Bosch 1617 router. The following items are available for your MR23 (and I am sure there are others!)

Bosch RA1151 Router Sub base Centering Pin and Cone
    Bosch RA1126 Template Guide Adapter
    Bosch RA1127 Router Inlay Kit
    Bosch RA1125 Router Template Guide Set, 7-Piece
    Bosch RA1177AT Three-Piece Dust Extraction Hood Kit for MR23-Series
    Bosch RA1054 Deluxe Router Guide
    Bosch RA1250 Router Mounting Plate, Undrilled with Hardware
    Bosch MRF01 Fixed Base for MR23 Series
    Bosch 3607000645 8 mm Collet Chuck Assembly
    Bosch L-BOXX 4 will fit both bases and motor

I won’t spend much time on the MR23 router itself except to tell you it has an upgraded motor, an integrated LED and the switch controls are in the handles of the bases. I cannot stress how great of a feature this is. You have total control over the router when starting and stopping without letting go of the handles. That combined with the soft start feature makes this combo a great router set. Here it is sitting in an L-boxx 4, a great first accessory for any router set!

Bosch L-BOXX 4 with plunge base and fixed bases (Dust control attached)

I actually think that all these items are must haves but if you get only one, make it the Bosch RA1151 Router Sub base Centering Pin and Cone. This simple, yet critical piece centers your sub base. Why is this important? If you use the template guides you need to ensure that the base is centered so that you can get accurate, repeatable results. If you use the edge dust collection, you are going to have to re-center your base. The centering pin can be used with the ¼” or ½” collet. Its use is as simple as loosening the bottom screws that attach the base plate and inserting the centering pin into the collet (make sure to tighten). Raise the centering cone (using the micro adjuster) until it centers the base, lock the motor down and re-tighten the screws.

Bosch RA1151 Router Sub base Centering Pin and Cone

Now that you have your base plate centered you can consider adding the quick release Bosch RA1126 Template Guide Adapter. This screws onto the base plate and allows you to use any number of the Bosch template guides that are available in the 7-Piece Bosch RA1125 Router Template Guide Set. I also have shown the Bosch RA1127 Router Inlay Kit that fits nicely in the guide sets plastic case. The inlay kit comes with the proper template and router bit to make perfect inlays off of any template you have.

One of the nicest features about this system is that changing guides is as easy as sliding that black knob. It’s a little trickier on the plunge base with the dust collection in place, but with a little dexterity out pops the guide. For those of you with the Porter Cable style templates, the guide kit comes with an adapter to use those as well! Get two of these guides if you have more then one base. It will fit on all Bosch bases.

Bosch RA1126 Template Guide Adapter

Bosch RA1125 Router Template Guide Set, 7-Piece and the Bosch RA1127 Router Inlay Kit

And the great thing is that Bosch has designed this whole system to work with their Bosch RA1177AT Three-Piece Dust Extraction Hood Kit. This gives you a separate hood for your fixed base and your plunge base and a separate attachment for when you are doing edge work. This third attachment uses your base plate screws (which is a bit of a pain) so make sure you already have the centering cone mentioned above. The kit also comes with a spacer you can install on your fixed base if you are not using a template guide adapter that makes the dust control enclosed. I honestly can’t believe I didn’t have this as my first purchase after I bought my routers. I will never go back to not having dust control on any of my machines. I am going to guess that the hoods remove 90% + in most situations. If you have the option, it works great to use the hood and side extraction at the same time but this requires two vacuums. You can get adapters to go from the 35mm port to a standard shop vac hose but I recommend purchasing the Bosch VAC005 hose that attaches to a shop vac and has the 35mm nozzle for all Bosch dust collection.

Plunge Base

Fixed Base

Another accessory that every router needs is the Bosch RA1054 Deluxe Router Guide. It is a VERY precise system that uses two rod guides to ensure precision dados or rabbits in any material. The micro adjust is easy to use and it works as expected. I find that I get better results with it attached to the fixed base because of the handle position on the router. The two bases have the guide holes at 90* to one another, so personal preference will dictate what base you want to use. There is also a dust control hood that attaches to the underside of the guide. I also used it in combination with the topside hood and had great results. I haven’t had a chance to use it but it also comes with a circle attachment that fits into a hole on the micro adjust portion of the guide. You remove the edge guide piece to make this work. It looks like it should do the job if you need circles routed.

Bosch RA1054 Deluxe Router Guide on plunge base

I also purchased the Bosch 3607000645 8mm collet so that I can use the Festool (and other) router bits that are available with an 8mm shank. And finally, you have the option of getting more bases like the Bosch MRF01 Fixed Base so that you can have a permanent under table set up with the Bosch RA1250 Router Mounting Plate. I have mine mounted in my Bosch 4100-09 table saw. This allows you to leave the base and plate set up and just remove the motor for quick and easy bit changes, or use it in your other hand held bases with out having to buy a second complete router

Circle jig pin, Under table dust collect, Spacer for dust collection if you are not using the template guide adapter, and the 1/4″ and 8mm collets.

Bosch RA1250 Router Mounting Plate from above in the 4100

Bosch MRF01 Fixed Base from below

CLICK on the photo for a video of the router, guide and dust collection in use:

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

This was by far one of the best reviews I have seen here at BTP to date – well done Brad! I am glad to hear the dust collection works quite well, though mine is still on backorder I think 🙂

Awesome, awesome review

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Thanks John!

I also had the DC on back order but decided to purchase it through Amazon.ca. And I am glad I did. It was well worth the price and I can’t imagine routing without it now.

In fact I wouldn’t.

Brad T

This was by far one of the best reviews I have seen here at BTP to date – well done Brad!

Agreed! – thorough would be an understatement. It is certainly nice when you have a great tool + accessories to review in the first place. This is one nice system. Great job on covering all the bases – pun intended.

redwood
    Pro

Very good Brad, though a lot was over my head. I need to learn more about the usefullness of all my routers. I’ve ordered a couple of books that will hopefully help in that regard.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Great review Brad.

I saw mention to the dust collection but never saw what it was. That looks well thought out.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve ordered a couple of books that will hopefully help in that regard.

I just picked up “Woodworking with the Router” by Bill Hylton from the library yesterday. It’s fantastic. So much so that I am going to purchase it as a reference guide.

Brad T

redwood
    Pro

I’ve ordered a couple of books that will hopefully help in that regard.

I just picked up “Woodworking with the Router” by Bill Hylton from the library yesterday. It’s fantastic. So much so that I am going to purchase it as a reference guide.

That is one of the ones I purchased. The other was on jigs.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

My favorite aspect of the review is that he sprinkled sawdust on top of the routers and put a bit in the bottom of his l-boxx to make it look like he has used them 😛 😛

Just kidding 🙂

Are you planning on/have you thought about getting a second edge guide for mortises?

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Are you planning on/have you thought about getting a second edge guide for mortises?

With the two router tables, I don’t think it’s going to be needed.

Brad T

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nice review Brad, it is good to hear about accessories, you dont get that a lot.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I got the RA1125 set for christmas, but will be returning it. As it wont work in my PC routers and I am needing to buy other pieces for it to work “how ridiculous that is Bosch” ill be returning it for a set of rockler bushings

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

“how ridiculous that is Bosch”

I guess that depends on how you look at it. I have the Bosch RA1126 Template Guide Adapter on all my routers base plates and I won’t go back to the PC system. I just like the quick release system too much.

It’s too bad they didn’t get you the adapter as well. It’s only $8 I think.

Brad T

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Excellent review Brad. I actually just ordered this router combo about an hour ago! Now I’m even more excited to get it!

I ordered the dust collection kit as well. From the looks of it, I’ll be needing the centering cone and the edge guide. Possibly the bushing set as well.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Awesome review thanks

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Thanks guys, this was a fun review to do and it’s still one of my favorite tools in the shop.

Brad T

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.503 seconds