dcsimg

Bosch might be losing me…

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Bosch corded tools are 1st or 2nd in my opinion (depending on the tool). While i have been content with most of my cordless bosch I am now having issues with my third impact in 3 years. The lack of tools options available at all let alone at local retailers is weighing hard on me. I am starting to regret not going with milwaukee (mostly because of options available). Though overall most of my bosch cordless do the job and do it well

That’s to bad Daniel, which model number are you referring to.

I have the 25618 and the IDH182, so far no issues.

Yeah 3rd in three years, I am sure you put it through harder work than I do.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I don’t have as much Bosch as some here, or as much as I’d like, but their product seems like it’s quality. That said, I ALWAYS comparison shop for new tools, and like others I will not buy an inferior product because it matches the system I have. I understand those that would, but the nature of my work doesn’t require it as it does for some.

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I didn’t mean for my post to sound overly harsh against Bosch, I am very happy with the majority of their tools I own.

I have just been frustrated by the lack of innovation that we see from them compared to other brands. I assume it is due to the fact that they may make more money off their washers than they do off their tools, so it isn’t a priority for them.

I was willing to put up with these shortcomings because I assumed that they were the best and I could rely on them 100%. Obviously anything can fail, but standing at a customer’s house with a $300 router kit that won’t work after half a dozen uses was maddening. To make matters worse, I couldn’t even go back to my shop to get my other router as I couldn’t leave their house wide open with no doors on it. If Bosch had ever released the Colt replacement we have been waiting on, I could have used that instead as I ordered it back in May, but there is still no word.

I ended up hand chiseling all of the rounded hinge mortises which resulted in a perfectly functional product, but not one that met my perfect appearance standards. I do blame Bosch for that right or wrong, as having reliable tools is what led me to purchase so much from them in the first place.

I’m sure they will repair or replace the tool which is great, and I don’t intend on getting rid of the things I have of theirs. I have however finally bucked the “single battery platform” unfortunately, which means I will be investing in other brands now as well.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have just been frustrated by the lack of innovation that we see from them

We all are to some degree, and we all would like them to release new tools in NA faster. Unless you go gray market and “import” the NAINA stuff from Europe if you are a Bosch tool user you will need to supplement your tools with other makes in order to get the stuff you need to do the job. That’s just the bottom line. They make great tools, when they have a tool I need I choose it, if they don’t, then I buy something else. I am not going to abandon Bosch because they don’t have a tool I need. Why? The Bosch I buy works and works well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

My DDS182-02 Brute tough 18v drill had a trigger problem when I got it. I sent it in for repair, which was free, but took 10 days or so out of my schedule. Now that it is back it still occasionally does not trigger and I have to squeeze it a couple of times to get it running again. A bit of a PITA, particularly since it was sent in for repair on the switch. Most likely a supplier problem but a bit of a let down since the tool is so great in every other aspect. Tons of torque and speed in it and comfortable to use. I don’t think it is worth my time to send it in once again for the same repair. I will live with it as is. I just expected a bit better QA from the company in the first place.

I really would like to see the lines of cordless tools expanded. There are so many neat tools out there from other companies, but I have committed myself to one cordless system now and I don’t have any desire to have multiple chargers going.

Of course, I am not in the field every day using them, but if Bosch could cover all the bases with one battery system I am sure that more folks would dedicate themselves to it too. I don’t think anyone is a fan of having several charges using up all the outlets on the job site. A multi battery/multi voltage charging system would likely be well received. One outlet to charge everything you have….what’s not to like about that?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I’ve been very happy with my bosch tools so far

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have just been frustrated by the lack of innovation that we see from them

We all are to some degree, and we all would like them to release new tools in NA faster. Unless you go gray market and “import” the NAINA stuff from Europe if you are a Bosch tool user you will need to supplement your tools with other makes in order to get the stuff you need to do the job. That’s just the bottom line. They make great tools, when they have a tool I need I choose it, if they don’t, then I buy something else. I am not going to abandon Bosch because they don’t have a tool I need. Why? The Bosch I buy works and works well.

Very well said. Even with other brands I still suspect there is the lure to go to another brand for a certain tool

I didn’t mean for my post to sound overly harsh against Bosch, I am very happy with the majority of their tools I own.

I have just been frustrated by the lack of innovation that we see from them compared to other brands. I assume it is due to the fact that they may make more money off their washers than they do off their tools, so it isn’t a priority for them.

I was willing to put up with these shortcomings because I assumed that they were the best and I could rely on them 100%. Obviously anything can fail, but standing at a customer’s house with a $300 router kit that won’t work after half a dozen uses was maddening. To make matters worse, I couldn’t even go back to my shop to get my other router as I couldn’t leave their house wide open with no doors on it. If Bosch had ever released the Colt replacement we have been waiting on, I could have used that instead as I ordered it back in May, but there is still no word.

I ended up hand chiseling all of the rounded hinge mortises which resulted in a perfectly functional product, but not one that met my perfect appearance standards. I do blame Bosch for that right or wrong, as having reliable tools is what led me to purchase so much from them in the first place.

I’m sure they will repair or replace the tool which is great, and I don’t intend on getting rid of the things I have of theirs. I have however finally bucked the “single battery platform” unfortunately, which means I will be investing in other brands now as well.

I feel your pain, not as bad or embarrassing. While back I bought the radio at local box store. Little over 6 or 7 months it played sometimes and sometimes it didn’t. Had a little cookout here and was telling someone about it, another member here. Walked into the garage and it did it then. Thank heavens it was only 200 bucks I wasted (lot going on health wise and warranty was set aside, my fault) but got no help from them at all. Guess they really didn’t have to, but I will never buy or recommend one.

Hope things work out OK for you, Think Bill is right, one platform isn’t going to cut it for you here in the States, esp if it is Bosch

Doobie

So @jpg-woodworking, have you still decided that Bosch was not for you? Or did you get a satisfactory resolution?

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I haven’t had any problems with my Bosch tools. I am sure they every tool brand has some issues at some point.
    I can’t say that I only use Bosch but this site has opened my eyes to their quality.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

There always has to be a backup plan. Things happen, tools break, workers don’t show up, weather doesn’t cooperate, etc. One sheet of osb and 5 minutes could have secured the premises while you ran back to the shop to get another router.

While I currently don’t own a lot of Bosch tools, I have owned many over the last 30 years. They have been at least as reliable as any other tool brand I have owned.

Ive had issues with a few Bosch things – my old GTS1031, my IDH182 Impact driver trigger, and a couple of dead 12v batteries come to mind

But Bosch customer service always took good care of me, so Im a loyal customer

Loyal in this case meaning that if Bosch offers the tool and it is as good as the competition, I will buy the Bosch even if the price is a bit more.

I have lots of other brands where Bosch simply isnt there, mostly in shop equipment.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve been a huge fan of Bosch’s tools. I’ve noticed they don’t necessarily have all the newest innovations, but what they do come out with is worth waiting for. And they’ve always treated me well too.i think it’s like people have said, there’s pros and cons to any brand, and if you’re looking for something Bosch doesn’t offer, it makes sense to incorporate other brands. But, for my money, I have found them to have extremely high quality, durable products.

Charlie

Instagram

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I was talking with a guy in Home Depot who only buys Dewalt. With him, I think it is totally gimmicky, due to his name being Walt. I guess he is just glad that his name was not Stanley.

redwood
    Pro

I was talking with a guy in Home Depot who only buys Dewalt. With him, I think it is totally gimmicky, due to his name being Walt. I guess he is just glad that his name was not Stanley.

The “Fat Max” brand of Stanley tools is not bad, and he would get a nickname.

Knock on wood, I’ve had very good luck with Bosch tools, and over the years, I’ve probably owned as many as anyone on this site. That’s probably just because I’m older.

Saying that, Bosch is way behind the curve on cordless products, and in that area they will never be a major player unless that changes. At least in the construction arena, where more variety of tools are needed.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

bosch does make great tools, but your right some items are slow coming out but that usually means their doing their homework and not rushing items out to market which are going to be problematic..

i wouldnt jump off ship just yet though,, i have been hearing rumors from many people that bosch is taking the lack of cordless thing to heart and will be having a bunch of new cordless gear revealed at world of concrete, no word on what exactly but im hoping to see a brushless 7 1/4 ” circ saw and maybe a updated jigsaw, omt and other items perhaps sanders, and routers and mitre saw.. im running the 18v platform now from bosch and have 6 batteries but only the socket ready ijmpact and a drill driver along with the power box radio..

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

@Warren6810 Lmao, that was good.

I personally have been very satisfied with my Bosch tools, I have been buying into them since 2004 I have only had a couple of issues with them,
    First was my 12 volt drill / driver the PS30, but I used it hard at the shop,
    They took care of it no problem under warranty.

The next was the jigsaw I recieved from here, once again Jim took care of that

I did have a dewalt grinder I used for a year or so far cutting tiles,
    Didn’t take to long before the bearings seized up.
    Switched over to a Bosch, and it’s been about 6 years ago and still going strong.

But that being said, every brand has problems and great tools.

One thing I can say is imo I think Bosch makes a superior battery pack,

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

The Bosch tools that I have going back about 6 years are all still running strong (not a lot of tools, but a few). Best example I have is the 12V angle driver – that thing has many many hours on it without a hickup and both original batteries are still working.

Only minor thing I have noticed with it is every once in a while when driving a screw and it is just about to seat it fully it acts like the battery is low. Release the trigger and go at it again and it fully seats the screw properly. Does not occur frequently enough to be considered an annoyance.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

persosonally the only 2 issues ive had with my bosch gear were

1) the bearings on my ts4000 wore out after 8 years and it was only about 2 hrs of downtime which included the time it took to take the bosch serive center

2) my 23 gauge micro pinner which i got from here 4 years ago driver pin broke. bosch sent out the replacement part and i was able to fix it myself. back in busines.. the only real issue with the nailer was that it says it shoots 1 3\8″ but that size jambs the gun.. 1 1/4″ is fine

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

persosonally the only 2 issues ive had with my bosch gear were

1) the bearings on my ts4000 wore out after 8 years and it was only about 2 hrs of downtime which included the time it took to take the bosch serive center

2) my 23 gauge micro pinner which i got from here 4 years ago driver pin broke. bosch sent out the replacement part and i was able to fix it myself. back in busines.. the only real issue with the nailer was that it says it shoots 1 3\8″ but that size jambs the gun.. 1 1/4″ is fine

I had problems with my 4100 after just one year of very light use. The plastic gear that raises/lowers the blade cracked and needed replaced. The part was cheap, but it was very labor intensive.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.329 seconds