dcsimg

Bosch might be losing me…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I bought my first Bosch tool last year, after I became fed up with my tools dying and having to replace them. From the research I did, Bosch was truly “pro quality” and should last significantly longer with proper care and maintenance.

I have since purchased around $6-7,000 of their tools, most of which have performed well, but they are not without problems. I’ve been frustrated as most of you have by them failing to come out with new tools to match their competitors (cordless miter saw, cordless finish nailer, blower, fan, the new colt router, etc.).

I have resisted buying other brand’s tools as I have 8 Bosch 18v batteries and 11 of their 12v batteries, and didn’t want to deal with buying more batteries and chargers.

A combination of my barely used MR23 router failing on a jobsite, leaving me to chisel door hinge mortises by hand after spending half an hour setting up my jig and fixture, along with the battery in my OMT failing and me tiring of lugging my 10″ Bosch SCMS around had lead to me look at other brands that offer what I need.

That, compiled with Ridgid putting their new 24 lb, 7 1/4″ 18V SCMS on sale for $299 led me to make a purchase this week. While the build quality is not on par with Bosch IMO, the convenience of grabbing it with one hand and not dealing with cords for quick jobs has been fantastic. I’m about to order their cordless 18ga finish nailer, and have my eye on their palm router, blower, fan, and cordless shop-vac as well.

Time will tell what happens, and I doubt I will be selling my current Bosch tools, but they are losing ground if they don’t step up their game.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Yes they don’t bring lot of there tools to n.a market but I believe there quality is there. They just need to step up a bit to get the edge other brands have the edge on current tools but bosch makes really well designed tools for easy use. There starlock system. Kickback technology flesh detection technology etc. They are the leader in innovation tools but lately other companies making a big push on the market bosch just needs to focus on cordless options on mitersaw, cordless nailer etc

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I am kinda there with you, although I hVent really had any of their stuff fail on me I do think about switching my cordless stuff to another brand but that would be way to much money right now. So instead of switching I decided to get into the Milwaukee 18v platform to supliment my Bosch stuff. In the next couple years this could lead to just buying more m18 stuff replacing my Bosch stuff when it gets worn out and broken and eventually having all Milwaukee 18v or if Bosch steps up there game it will be what it is now a suplimental 18v tools. I am really interested in what they do with the new eneracer batteries coming out. I am kinda on the bubble waiting to see. But for now all the stuff I have works fine for me.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I’ve given up on all brands. That is why I shop for the best (for me) tool rather than be brand loyal. What ever tool I need at the moment I research all brands. If I can touch it before I buy it then that is a plus. I also never shop on price alone. Price is down on the list on things that matter when buying a tool for me. Point is that if I were to stay brand loyal, I would be missing out on tools that are better for the way I work.

Anything that I have that is Bosch has been good to me. I will agree they need to play catch up with their cordless line. Also their miter saws are pretty awesome. They are the best I have used/owned, other than my Kapex.

Doobie

I hear ya Jon. They really are woefully behind in some tool categories witha NA presence.

One example is why they don’t have a concrete vibrator here in NA and they are so big in concrete stuff baffles me for one.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I hear ya Jon. They really are woefully behind in some tool categories witha NA presence.

Bosch doesn’t have a big market share in NA so it makes no sense to bring in all the tools. Nobody uses Bosch cordless tools over here. It’s all Mulk. Dewalt and Makita, Ridgid.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Bosch doesn’t have a big market share in NA so it makes no sense to bring in all the tools. Nobody uses Bosch cordless tools over here. It’s all Mulk. Dewalt and Makita, Ridgid.

I’d have to say this is probably the main reason we dont see as many of their products here in NA.

It’s almost like a catch 22 though. They do t bring in the products because they dont have a big enough piece of the pie, but if they did their share would probably grow.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would have to agree thet the selections in Bosch cordless are far behind the likes of Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee or Rigid. I do not really see them as even trying to be a major player in the cordless arena but just providing a decent offering. I believe where thye stand out is in the corded arene with the rotary hammers and the like.

while I would like a cordless miter box, I will wait for Makita or Bosch when i need one, It just gets to difficult to add more battery platforms.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I like the Bosch tools because of the quality. If they have a tool I need or want then I go to them first. If not then DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita and now Ridgid enter the picture. I have all the battry platforms except Ridgid so it really does not bother me to look at their tools after Bosch. I wish they would release their tools faster in NA also.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I like the Bosch tools because of the quality. If they have a tool I need or want then I go to them first. If not then DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita and now Ridgid enter the picture. I have all the battry platforms except Ridgid so it really does not bother me to look at their tools after Bosch. I wish they would release their tools faster in NA also.

I have to agree, ridgid has been really making waves with all of their new tools. I am really tempted by many of their offerings. One that I am surprised about is the ryobi line, their garage centre with automatic door that is connected to your phone is a game changer.

Your not the only one @jog-woodworking . I’ve been buying more and more into the Milwaukee fuel line up cause of the many options they have .

I have to agree, ridgid has been really making waves with all of their new tools. I am really tempted by many of their offerings. One that I am surprised about is the ryobi line, their garage centre with automatic door that is connected to your phone is a game changer.

Yeah that myth about Ridgid and ryobi being bad I think is over . The battery Technology has help them out .

Always willing to learn .

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I’ve given up on all brands. That is why I shop for the best (for me) tool rather than be brand loyal. What ever tool I need at the moment I research all brands. If I can touch it before I buy it then that is a plus. I also never shop on price alone. Price is down on the list on things that matter when buying a tool for me. Point is that if I were to stay brand loyal, I would be missing out on tools that are better for the way I work.

Anything that I have that is Bosch has been good to me. I will agree they need to play catch up with their cordless line. Also their miter saws are pretty awesome. They are the best I have used/owned, other than my Kapex.

Absolutely!

I think Bosch excels in tools that take abuse. I love their sds hammers of all sizes. I also like the 12 inch glide miter saw. Some very creative thinking went into that one.

Had a detailed and thoughtful response ready to go, then thought, this isn’t me. So as long as I’m on the site, I won’t bite the hand that feeds me. I will say what I like and do not like about the products. But if I totally switch, you will not see me on the thread about what i am saving up for.

I’m a bit of a skeptic when it comes to Ridgid, Ryobi, Dewalt and some of the other brands mentioned here. In the last three years or so I’ve smoked two Dewalt drills and one of their Circular saws, a Ridgid Belt sander, a porter cable reciprocating saw and a sander .. and I hate my older Ryobi 10″ miter saw (doesn’t stay square, replaced the laser twice). I’ve yet to have any trouble with any of my Bosch tools and I’ve pushed plenty of them harder than I did the my old gear. Bosch just makes solid gear and until they prove me wrong I’m sticking with them. I’m happy to wait for them to release quality, durable tools.

Doobie

Bosch just makes solid gear and until they prove me wrong I’m sticking with them

Same here. Good service; good products; German design and engineering (No, I have no German ancestry). Just three simple points that keep me buying their tools.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Bosch just makes solid gear and until they prove me wrong I’m sticking with them

Same here. Good service; good products; German design and engineering (No, I have no German ancestry). Just three simple points that keep me buying their tools.

Same here, I have had no issues at all with any of my Bosch tools. They have been solid since day one.

@Jpg-woodworking
    It’s too bad that you have been having issues with your Bosch tools. Were they registered and can they be fixed under warranty? Which is great, I’ve had to use it once for a tool that was damaged during shipping.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Since I have been buying Bosch tools since 2004, I can say I have not had any issues with the tools, or the batteries, even though they were the older ni-cad blue core,
    I only had to change the brushes on my 2005 18 volt hammer drill,

And the other issue with my 12 volt PS30 that was under warranty, witch Bosch took care of very quickly

I work in the manufacturing side, I have seen plenty of other manufacturers tools in the repair shop here, (not many Bosch) this does not mean that other manufacturers are not building good tools, it’s just from my experience here in the shop

From my experience with cordless tools from friends and colleagues, I can honestly say that Bosch probably make one of the better cordless battery packs.

This being said, of course I would like to see them being more competitive when it comes to releasing cordless tools,

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Excellent feedback for the Bosch brand. Glad you are sharing your thoughts. These comments get seen by the brand management team. Thanks for being honest. Keep it coming.

Cheers,

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Bosch corded tools are 1st or 2nd in my opinion (depending on the tool). While i have been content with most of my cordless bosch I am now having issues with my third impact in 3 years. The lack of tools options available at all let alone at local retailers is weighing hard on me. I am starting to regret not going with milwaukee (mostly because of options available). Though overall most of my bosch cordless do the job and do it well

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Same here. I have almost all brands. I read the reviews carefully before throwing out the money.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.346 seconds