dcsimg

Bosch jigsaw and power

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Okay excuse my ignorance on the subject or if the matter has already been discussed.

After using my old Bosch barrel 1584 AVS I realized a new one is in my future, at least by the time my kitchen project next month take places.

So at the store today I was looking and handling the tools in person. I never realized Bosch makes a 6, 6.5 and a 7 amp jigsaw. Does that little variation in amperage really matter? My current one is 7 amp but its old. I always felt the variable speed and blade selection was more of a factor that power when using this type of tool.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Okay excuse my ignorance on the subject or if the matter has already been discussed.

After using my old Bosch barrel 1584 AVS I realized a new one is in my future, at least by the time my kitchen project next month take places.

So at the store today I was looking and handling the tools in person. I never realized Bosch makes a 6, 6.5 and a 7 amp jigsaw. Does that little variation in amperage really matter? My current one is 7 amp but its old. I always felt the variable speed and blade selection was more of a factor that power when using this type of tool.

I use to have that same model lost it in a flood . Good power and nice balance . I agree with you that blade choose and the variable speed helps on material cutting over the amps on a jigsaw .

Always willing to learn .

Anonymous
    Inactive

Isn’t there also a difference in barrel-grip vs D-handle?

Isn’t the amp rating secondary to frame style?

Delta

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Just to make the waters even more muddy…the newest version is a 7.2 amp!

IMO, the motor amperage is secondary to comfort and maneuvability. I also really appreciate great blade tracking (which the newer Bosch models excel in). If the blade wanders or cuts at a bevel when you want a 90* cut, the saw is basically useless.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

IMO, the motor amperage is secondary to comfort and maneuvability. I also really appreciate great blade tracking (which the newer Bosch models excel in). If the blade wanders or cuts at a bevel when you want a 90* cut, the saw is basically useless.

Jon one thing that has always made my jigsaw a last resort tool is because my blade wandered out of plumb. I assumed it is the nature of the tool. If that is corrected on certain models I will have to be sure I get it

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Jon one thing that has always made my jigsaw a last resort tool is because my blade wandered out of plumb. I assumed it is the nature of the tool. If that is corrected on certain models I will have to be sure I get it

I’m with you on that one, I hardly ever use my jigsaw. In fact yesterday was the first time in months I used mine, although I think a better quality newer tool might make me use it more.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I will just leave this here

bethepro.com/forums/topic/another-js572-review/

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

For most of them…yes, it is the nature of the tool. But when you get ahold of a GOOD jigsaw, the experience is much better. My business partner has a JS470 (generation prior to the new 7.2) and it cuts so much better than my 2 year old 6.5 amp Dewalt.

The difference in power isn’t all that noticeable, but the Bosch tracks so much better. Even making a straight cut, the Dewalt deflects…and it’s the top of the line Dewalt still to this day. The Bosch cuts nearly perfectly in comparison.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have the 18V cordless jigsaw from a redemption. I wasn’t expecting a lot, it’s a jig saw, but it really makes a nice cut. I got a bunch of blades on my redemption too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

With the advances in cordless tools, we rarely use a corded jig saw anymore. Maybe once or twice a year.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Alright cord or not corded the manufacturer in this case Bosch is same isnt it? Same features I assume just portability as the difference.

I will have to dig into these reviews on tracking to make a good decision. They usually have a bevel feature and if it cant stay on course whats the point.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I have the 18V cordless jigsaw from a redemption. I wasn’t expecting a lot, it’s a jig saw, but it really makes a nice cut. I got a bunch of blades on my redemption too.

I’ve been looking at it, would you say that it compares to a corded model?

How do you like the feel and balance of it . Have you used the bevel to cut with . How’s the blade attachment feel like it hold s the blade down .

Always willing to learn .

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Absolutely. I think the 18v cuts better than my older 1581 corded saw.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

redwood
    Pro

I have the top of the line Bosch corded jigsaw and it rarely get’s used. I use my 18V Makita Cordless model. If I didn’t already have the Makita, I probably would go with a Bosch. They have kind of set the standard for jig saws from the companies in the Big 3, 4 or 5.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Good to hear!

I might make the 18V a redemption in the near future.

My Dewalt 18V that i hardly ever use doesn’t cut very true, and none of my batteries seem to hold much of a charge anymore. So if I’m replacing it im thrilled at the idea of getting a better tool and staying cordless.

I say don’t just look, but go for it, I had the older ni-cad version, then upgraded to the new lithium, it’s a very nice jigsaw, and seeing how you have the 18 volt impact, you definitely will not be disappointed,

@Skillman
    oh yeah no problem with the blade holder, it feels very solid.
    Great jigsaw. I know Ron mentioned he also liked it, and I know @svensshutters has it also, and I believe he had good use of it so far.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

@boschmanbrian the main reason I’ve been thinking avour it is because I’m already switching g cordless platforms to Bosch.

For the amount I use a jig saw, a cord wouldn’t bother me that much. But if it’s comparable then it’s a no brainer to go cordless.

@boschmanbrian the main reason I’ve been thinking avour it is because I’m already switching g cordless platforms to Bosch.

For the amount I use a jig saw, a cord wouldn’t bother me that much. But if it’s comparable then it’s a no brainer to go cordless.

Very good, it also comes with those nice L boxes 🙂
    And for the piggys it makes for a nice redemption.

As far as comparing to the corded version, I can’t say, all I know is it has definitely not disappointed me yet,
    And the older version ni-cad, I put it through a lot of work, and never had any issues, and to be honest, the battery lasted quite long on a charge.

What ever you choose, you can’t go wrong with the Bosch blue 😉

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Very good, it also comes with those nice L boxes 🙂
    And for the piggys it makes for a nice redemption.

As far as comparing to the corded version, I can’t say, all I know is it has definitely not disappointed me yet,
    And the older version ni-cad, I put it through a lot of work, and never had any issues, and to be honest, the battery lasted quite long on a charge.

What ever you choose, you can’t go wrong with the Bosch blue 😉

The lboxx is a bonus, tons of room For blades!

Like you said, for the piggies it’s worth it for sure.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.315 seconds