dcsimg

Bosch IDH182 AKA "The Freak"

This topic contains 29 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I recently received The Freak from Bosch from their Freak’N contest.

First impressions…

The Freak is quite a bit heavier than my current 18V drivers – Ridgid and Milwaukee WITHOUT the battery.

The 6.3ah battery is quite heavy, making the combined weight even more heavy. I think I will need to get a few lower ah batteries for it. I really don’t need such a high capacity battery for an impact driver.

Kind of surprised that the lights need to be manually switched on and off. I have gotten used to having that switch right at the trigger so when you are ready to drive the triggering of the driver also triggers the light.

Balance of the tool is right. Ergonomically it feels right, other than the battery which weights like a brick. I do like the connection between the tool and the battery, the big red button is easy to engage and disengage.

The charger is a bit bigger than I like. There seems to be no way to mount or hang the charger on a wall or shelf. Might have to find a way to attach it to a base plate then use that for mounting.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The 6.3ah battery is quite heavy, making the combined weight even more heavy. I think I will need to get a few lower ah batteries for it.

I agree,, for driving screws I just don’t need a massive battery on the bottom of the tool.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The Freak is quite a bit heavier than my current 18V drivers – Ridgid and Milwaukee WITHOUT the battery.

I am a big Bosch tool fan so my thoughts are just meant to explain. The “Freak” contest was meant to introduce Bosch Tools to a new market the HO and DIYer. The IDH182 driver is at least 2 years old if not older. The CORE battery is last year’s battery not the latest model from Bosch either. A nice prize for sure but neither component is the latest and greatest. The charger not having wall mounted lugs is documented on the site and one member drilled his own after disassembling the charger. Bosch tools are seldom the lightest, or the fastest or whatever, but they are designed to last the longest. Bosch’s number #1 tool business in NA are factories and large commercial buyers. Think orders for hundreds and thousands of the same tool. They are designed to work 8-10-12-24 hours a day for years. Large industries like that over being lightest or the fastest. They get better ROI with a Bosch Tool than with other brands. That is important. They have decided that since they already manufacture tools why not go after the Contractor, HO, and DIY market, that is why this site, the Bosch Insider site and an improved presence on social media exist. But make no mistake about it the number one market for Bosch in NA is the industrial customer or the large national company buying tools for many locations throughout NA.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

But make no mistake about it the number one market for Bosch in NA is the industrial customer or the large national company buying tools for many locations throughout NA.

I have never seen any evidence of this.

Dirty

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I didn’t know Bosch is big on the fleet service like Hilti. Hilti doesn’t really sell tools but a service contract including tools.

I would say the freak is significantly heavier than my Milwaukee M18 driver. It may or may not be an issue until I use it overhead for prolonged periods of time.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I didn’t know Bosch is big on the fleet service like Hilti. Hilti doesn’t really sell tools but a service contract including tools.

I would say the freak is significantly heavier than my Milwaukee M18 driver. It may or may not be an issue until I use it overhead for prolonged periods of time.

I tried to remove lug nuts today with my Freak. Since I purchased it, it has very limited use…. I drove 4 3/16 X 3-1/2″ lags into pre drilled holes, so the tool is basically new.
    So, I jack up the vehicle, slide in a brand new fully charged core batt, snap a 19mm socket on and …….
    To say the least, I was disappointed. It didn’t budge a single lug nut.
    To rub salt in the wound, my neighbor comes out with his $48 HF impact and buzzes off all 5 lugs.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

The charger is a bit bigger than I like. There seems to be no way to mount or hang the charger on a wall or shelf. Might have to find a way to attach it to a base plate then use that for mounting.

Larger for a reason, fan and internal components are better than previous chargers. This charger is currently the best from Bosch

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I tried to remove lug nuts today with my Freak. Since I purchased it, it has very limited use…. I drove 4 3/16 X 3-1/2″ lags into pre drilled holes, so the tool is basically new.
    So, I jack up the vehicle, slide in a brand new fully charged core batt, snap a 19mm socket on and …….
    To rub salt in the wound, my neighbor comes out with his $48 HF impact and buzzes off all 5 lugs.

$48 HF impact wrench? No way lol!!! 😱😱😱

You sure you set it to the highest torque?

n859715
    Pro

Ya, what brand was the $48 HF impact???

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I totally agree with you, the IDH182 definitely lacks on power. It didn’t loosen up any lugs on my wife’s car and definitely not on our SUV and truck. In addition i don’t live in the environment with heavy snow and rain where the lugs gets rusted on etc.
    I purchased the IWMH182 impact wrench for that reason.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Is it the $47.99 Chicago Electric corded impact wrench?

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I am a big Bosch tool fan so my thoughts are just meant to explain. The “Freak” contest was meant to introduce Bosch Tools to a new market the HO and DIYer. The IDH182 driver is at least 2 years old if not older. The CORE battery is last year’s battery not the latest model from Bosch either. A nice prize for sure but neither component is the latest and greatest. The charger not having wall mounted lugs is documented on the site and one member drilled his own after disassembling the charger. Bosch tools are seldom the lightest, or the fastest or whatever, but they are designed to last the longest. Bosch’s number #1 tool business in NA are factories and large commercial buyers. Think orders for hundreds and thousands of the same tool. They are designed to work 8-10-12-24 hours a day for years. Large industries like that over being lightest or the fastest. They get better ROI with a Bosch Tool than with other brands. That is important. They have decided that since they already manufacture tools why not go after the Contractor, HO, and DIY market, that is why this site, the Bosch Insider site and an improved presence on social media exist. But make no mistake about it the number one market for Bosch in NA is the industrial customer or the large national company buying tools for many locations throughout NA.

I did not realize this, but it makes a lot of what I’ve seen Bosch do as far as marketingmake a lot more sense. Thanks for enlightening us all!

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A big bowl of not good right there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I am not sure what you mean by turning the light in and off manually , it does work with the trigger ?
    I live in Canada , cold snow salt and so on , I actually never had any issue with removing lugs from a car /suv
    Even with my 4.0 ah battery packs
    Something doesn’t sound right.

Oh congrats on the win by the way

And as far as using the core packs for driving 3 inch screws , yeah might be a little Overkill.
    I agree about the charger not having any keyhole slots behind for mounting the charger ,
    Like Bill mentioned , I took mine apart and made my own, unfortunately , good idea about opening this thread
    Hopefully we see more from other members who won the Freakn impact.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I am not sure what you mean by turning the light in and off manually , it does work with the trigger ?

I mean as far as I can tell the way to turn on and off the lights is by pressing the switch in the picture below as indicated.

The Milwaukee and Makita tools have the light switch built into the trigger, so once you depress the trigger the light comes on automatically. Some of them will stay on for a few seconds then turns off after you release the trigger. I have one that if you depress the trigger ever so gently, it turns the lights on with tools being off but if I apply more pressure on the trigger than the tool turns on. So basically while the tool is in operation, the light is on.

My Ridgid has a separate light switch, but it’s right below the trigger switch and made to look like one switch. This also gives you the ability to turn on the light independently with my lower finger to say align a screw before driving it in, but the two triggers are right next to each other so when you hold the handle and squeeze you will activate both.

The Bosch you need to turn on and off by pressing the switch, it will not go off automatically once you let go of the trigger. I just find this a bit annoying.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

And as far as using the core packs for driving 3 inch screws , yeah might be a little Overkill.

I haven’t tried the tool on an actual job yet, but if driving a 3/16″ 3.5″ screws into predrilled holes is a challenge then that would disappoint me too. I remember using a Ridgid X4 impact driver which is three generations ago (before GEN5 and GEN5 Brushless) with a 1.5ah battery and I was able to drill 6″ long Timberlok lag screws into two stacks of PT 4X4 lumber with NO predrilling and it went in with ease. The 1.5ah battery would lose all it’s juice after driving 4 to 5 such screws but it drives them without any issue.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I guess the HF comes out of a better chinese plant.

Dirty

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I haven’t tried the tool on an actual job yet, but if driving a 3/16″ 3.5″ screws into predrilled holes is a challenge then that would disappoint me too. I remember using a Ridgid X4 impact driver which is three generations ago (before GEN5 and GEN5 Brushless) with a 1.5ah battery and I was able to drill 6″ long Timberlok lag screws into two stacks of PT 4X4 lumber with NO predrilling and it went in with ease. The 1.5ah battery would lose all it’s juice after driving 4 to 5 such screws but it drives them without any issue.

I had a 4ah batt when driving lags.

The reason I predrilled was because each lag just happened to fall on a large knot and keeping pressure on the impact while perched on a ladder wasn’t my idea of fun. Easier and probably faster was to just pre drill. The point I was making is the impact, after only running in a few lags, is still “new”. Not like I was using a tired tool to remove lugs

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I live in Canada , cold snow salt and so on , I actually never had any issue with removing lugs from a car /suv

I agree about the charger not having any keyhole slots behind for mounting the charger ,
    Like Bill mentioned , I took mine apart and made my own, unfortunately , good idea about opening this thread

I know mine wouldn’t loosen the lug nuts on my truck. They were put on and torqued by the garage when I had my tires rotated. Not a huge concern to me as I just use a breaker bar to break the lug nuts free. I had no problems with the one on my wife’s van. I am really happy to have mine. Go Freak!!!

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I know mine wouldn’t loosen the lug nuts on my truck. They were put on and torqued by the garage when I had my tires rotated. Not a huge concern to me as I just use a breaker bar to break the lug nuts free. I had no problems with the one on my wife’s van. I am really happy to have mine. Go Freak!!!

yah it wont touch my truck lug nuts either after a winter in the salt. It can do the car tires no problem. However the truck is a problem. I wonder if the core battery will make a difference.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.329 seconds