dcsimg

Bosch HS1918 SDS-Max Floor Scrapper. Opinions Please!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’m contemplating ordering for redemption the Bosch HS1918 Floor Scrapper for 153K points. It’s not an accessory I think I’ll need in the immediate future, but I likely will use for when I rip off all the vinyl tiles stuck to my basement floor when I redo it sometime in the year or two.

I’m not even sure I will need it for that as they are 30 year old stick on vinyl tiles with the black tar stick on backing. How hard are those to remove otherwise? I’ve never dealt with those on concrete.

My general questions are is what else is this floor scrapper good for? One review I read on Amazon of a disatisfied buyer was that it failed PDQ at his trying to use it for thinset removal. I wouldn’t think it would be suitable for that application anyways.

But what about where it says on the Bosch product page it says it is for laminate removal also? I don’t really get it for laminate. Is it for some kind of glue on laminate I’m not aware of, or for edge glued laminate to help break the glue bond in destroying apart?

https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/boschtools-ocs/sds-max-hammer-steel-hs1918-29546-p/

This accessory sells for $265 CAD at IHL Canada or more up here in Canada at other retailers and I’ve NEVER seen it on sale and I’ve looked plenty for it on occasion the last few years for such a deal. I just don’t know if it’s worth getting. But knowing it could have alternate uses, may incline me to get it anyways. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I guess another question may be, how do you guys get stuck-on vinyl flooring removed whether it be on concrete or ply sub-floor?

Attachments:

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

When I’ve installed laminate I’ve never had to glue anything down as its a floating product. Maybe this is just for easier removal by forcefully picking up several boards at the same time?

Anonymous

I guess another question may be, how do you guys get stuck-on vinyl flooring removed whether it be on concrete or ply sub-floor?

The last time I did it was on concrete and ended up renting one of these, Worked great. I didn’t know Bosch made an accessory like this. I like it

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200589333_200589333?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors%20%3E%20Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Accessories%20%3E%20Air%20Hammers&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=28506&gclid=CLXxubCqvdMCFRSEfgodDDkLBQ

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

In my opinion, the tool is not designed for thinset and that would tear it up fairly quick. I think it would work fairly well for VCT or sheet vinyl. even for stubborn glue down carpet.

I have considered getting one at times, but ended up using something else. IMO, I would save the points and get something you would use sooner, or at least determine if you will actually need it to take up your tile. No sense having a tool that expensive sit around without using it.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@doobie,
    Have you had the old vinyl tiles tested for Asbestos?

20 years ago nobody ever thought of products that contained Asbestos. I removed a checkerboard pattern from my old home using just an old sidewalk ice scraper. Did the trick but years later found out that those tiles could have been contaminated. Who knows??

I suggest take the precaution and have it tested.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I suggest take the precaution and have it tested.

Doobie can you just go over the top of the tiles? Encapsulate it?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Remember, if you’re using a roto-hammer to scrape up flooring over concrete, you can expect some damage to the concrete floor as well.

I’ve had to remove sub-floor many times, because the flooring wouldn’t separate from the underlayment, or subfloor.

I usually just plan on ripping it all up.

As far as laminate, no, it doesn’t get glued down. That’s a good way to achieve failure of the laminate, and void the warranty.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

The last time I did it was on concrete and ended up renting one of these, Worked great. I didn’t know Bosch made an accessory like this. I like it

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200589333_200589333?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors%20%3E%20Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Accessories%20%3E%20Air%20Hammers&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=28506&gclid=CLXxubCqvdMCFRSEfgodDDkLBQ

I have what that thing looks to be more or less, but it was $15 bucks and designed as a spring loaded driveway/walkway ice breaker.

I would save the points and get something you would use sooner, or at least determine if you will actually need it to take up your tile. No sense having a tool that expensive sit around without using it.

Very true. But there’s very little I need otherwise in the immediate future.

I generally like to get deals on tools that I feel can come around rather use points for. One tool is maybe a cordless recip saw, but there’s another tool I seldom use and I do have an old and powerful old PC corded recip saw already for when I do.

I’m obviously really at a loss as to where to spend my points. lol!

Have you had the old vinyl tiles tested for Asbestos?

I know these ones in question were made after they stopped making asbestos based tiles. They put them in in the early 90’s.

Doobie can you just go over the top of the tiles? Encapsulate it?

I just prefer to get rid of them. If I Drycore over them, I want the concrete to breath underneath. Even if I carpeted, a few have come lose over the years and I wouldn’t want future ones popping after I lay carpeting or anything else over top of them.

Remember, if you’re using a roto-hammer to scrape up flooring over concrete, you can expect some damage to the concrete floor as well.

I figure that was one of the advantages of this type of accessory over using just a wide chisel attachment would be to minimize gouging.

As far as laminate, no, it doesn’t get glued down. That’s a good way to achieve failure of the laminate, and void the warranty.

I didn’t think so either. I’ve seen laminate years ago whereby you glue the joints – don’t know if that type is still in use and how well it fares over time – but I’ve never heard of glue down down laminate, but as I don’t care for laminates, I never paid attention much to that products permutations in the marketplace.

I have laminate in my office that I put down about 15 years ago. It just clicks together. When I redo my office one day, it is gone.

Kevin.

@doobie I was looking at this myself but didn’t get it yet. It’s nice to have if you are doing floors I guess. I do lot of florijng myself but very rare I deal with vinyl tile.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

@doobie I was looking at this myself but didn’t get it yet. It’s nice to have if you are doing floors I guess. I do lot of florijng myself but very rare I deal with vinyl tile.

Up here, they sell for stupid prices. Anywhere from $280 to $450 CAD.

I did see it at WallyMart IIRC in the US for $169. That was the cheapest I saw it where you guys are.

Kevin.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I actually found a place that will rent the SDS-Max Floor Scrapper without having to rent the associated SDS-Max tool which I already have for $23 a day for the scrapper. Most places won’t, which is BS imo.

So for now I’m foregoing looking to redeem for one, especially since needing one is maybe a few years away for my known intended purpose for it. While this may change for unknown reasons at this juncture, I’ll leave this aside for now insofar as getting this SDS-Max accessory.

Kevin.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

So what are you going to use your points for?

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

So what are you going to use your points for?

Dunno. Maybe an 18V light or two and a couple of L-Boxxes? Getting the scrapper just seemed such a fringe use for how many points it was. I did a similar mistake last year getting the 1020 demo hammer for 450K which now is deemed a total waste of points. It didn’t do what I was hoping it would do better than my rotary hammer could do much easier. Ya live and learn.

Kevin.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

It was good for taking up tar and roofing membrane from concrete. Will still had to cup grind after to remove the residual tar left over.

A Working Pro since 2004

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

It was good for taking up tar and roofing membrane from concrete. Will still had to cup grind after to remove the residual tar left over.

That looks like a good use for it I hadn’t considered, but I myself don’t anticipate needing it for that task.

I have read complaints of the blade not lasting for use in tile removal. Not sure how valid those complaints were. My thoughts were to remove the tile with a wide chisel and subsequently use the scrapper for the residual thinset removal only.

Kevin.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.591 seconds