dcsimg

Bosch GSR12V FlexiClick System

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Nice review – I love that Bosch changes their light-on duration, I love when drills stay lit for a bit after, I don’t know how many times I’ve used a drill as a flashlight!

Definitely a nice feature to have. Sometimes I go for it without thinking. Sure saves carrying a flashlight everywhere.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

@DesertDeuces hey Pat, great review and first impression.
    Definitely sounds like you will get great use out of your flexi click Bosch drill.
    Thank you again for the great review.

Doobie

how else can you easily execute this?

With a trim nail gun.

Not as secure as screws though. I like screws for that.

Everyone’s personal preference right? 😛

For that application of fastening the PVC trim, yes. You pay so much for the advantages of using PVC for trim versus wood, you want it to be secure as it has a tendency to expand and contract with temp changes. With the hidden Cortex fasteners and the little plugs they provide to seal the recessed hole made with a special torx bit they supply in each box that has a bushing head the Cortex screws sit recessed and once capped you also get a nice clean look.

The Cortex fasteners are not cheap either, they’re close to $30 for a box of 50 of them. I’ve only found their hidden type at Lowes up here in Canada. It was largely thanks to Mark @redwood that I discovered these amazing little fasteners. He mentioned using them for hidden deck fastening in the past here on BTP. Thanks Mark!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

For that application of fastening the PVC trim,

I can see wanting to make sure the mounting was secure and the Flexi did the job very nicely.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I can see wanting to make sure the mounting was secure and the Flexi did the job very nicely.

Indispensable for fastening the narrow trim where it met up with the underside of the soffits with the off-centre head on the Flexi.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Indispensable for fastening the narrow trim where it met up with the underside of the soffits with the off-centre head on the Flexi.

I would just use a 6″ bit for that. It allows plenty of room to get the angle right.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

I would just use a 6″ bit for that. It allows plenty of room to get the angle right.

I had found that the drill body still was causing to much of an angle for those fasteners to not have to go in at an angle even with a 6in extension bit as the normal drill was still up against the bottom of the soffit. Add a longer extension so that the drill body is clear of the soffit, then it is difficult to keep the driving of the screws nice and square. My screws needed to be a tad less than half an inch from the J channel and while a little angling of the drill hole for those Cortex fasteners is OK, too much and the plugs don’t easily get plugged in flush.

It is doable without the Flexi off-center head, but it makes it a lot more difficult using other methods. Forget trying to use one of those snake like extensions. You need a fair bit of pressure to get the screws started into the skin of the PVC and then to recess them properly for the plugs. And the same dillema of an overly long extension in trying to keep the screw from going in askew is another dillema in a tight quarters situation like that as well. In my case, the extension would need to be 15 inches long to clear the drill body from the underside of the soffit. Very awkward and prone to misses trying to execute that properly every time.

With the Flexi and its off-center attachment all these issues and difficulties are eliminated versus alternative methods I thought of I could do. Until the flexi came along, my other alternative I was leaning towards was to use the No More Nails outdoor Wet Grab product, but I really didn’t like that idea at all as the sole method of fastening those last capping trim strips for a variety of reasons.

So I have been using the Flexi and really like it – it is on par with my FT drills and slightly better power than the TXS, in my opinion and in a slightly smaller footprint. I think that this is a winner and being able to pack it, 4 batteries and a 12volt light in one L-Boxx is also a winner – love having a kit that is easy to take with me and have everything in one spot.

I hope they consider bringing the 18v version over as that would really help on bigger drilling/driving needs.

Orange County, CA

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

id say my only complaint about the flexi is usable non chuck way of holding bits… where its not magnetized hex bits just fall out of it

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I hope they consider bringing the 18v version over as that would really help on bigger drilling/driving needs.

I am hoping the same thing that Bosch will announce this soon.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I think that this is a winner and being able to pack it, 4 batteries and a 12volt light in one L-Boxx is also a winner – love having a kit that is easy to take with me and have everything in one spot.

I agree! If Bosch could choose one tool to offer in an L-Boxx, this would be the best choice.

I have my 12v drill and driver in an L-Boxx with accessories and love the convenience.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

I think that this is a winner and being able to pack it, 4 batteries and a 12volt light in one L-Boxx is also a winner – love having a kit that is easy to take with me and have everything in one spot.

I agree! If Bosch could choose one tool to offer in an L-Boxx, this would be the best choice.

I have my 12v drill and driver in an L-Boxx with accessories and love the convenience.

I know I would put this in an LBoxx 3D if I had one – I have an 18v drill and driver in a 3D and having a screws/fasteners box and a bit box is a good setup

So I have been using the Flexi and really like it – it is on par with my FT drills and slightly better power than the TXS, in my opinion and in a slightly smaller footprint. I think that this is a winner and being able to pack it, 4 batteries and a 12volt light in one L-Boxx is also a winner – love having a kit that is easy to take with me and have everything in one spot.

I agree that this 12v kit is great. I paid a premium and imported my kit earlier this year so it came with an l-boxx and the insert for evrything. Not sure why they don’t offer that setup in the States.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I have always enjoyed the rigid cordless drills.
    Earlier this year I found the festool drill line up. I was hoping to get one as I do a lot of cabinet installs.
    However, this new Bosch sounds like the best option for me due to the cost.

I'm the only person I ever hit in the head with a hammer.

Doobie

I agree that this 12v kit is great. I paid a premium and imported my kit earlier this year so it came with an l-boxx and the insert for evrything. Not sure why they don’t offer that setup in the States.

Andrew

This would be the one drill that I would have wanted like that because of all its dedicated accessories. I’m really not crazy about the bag it comes in. Too bad they at least don’t have the L-Boxx insert for it available here in NA to order seperately.

I totally agree Peter, I’m liking the convenience of having certain tools with accessories in one box.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s a good option , but I still would have just used the trim gun and nailed it on and ran,,,,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Here’s a nice right up on the tool.

Thanks! I noticed besides many other features in the review the LED indicator on the body of the drill, that’s rather neat

A Working Pro since 2004

It seems like Bosch has stepped away from L-Boxxes in the states for some reason.

Orange County, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.373 seconds