dcsimg

Bosch GOP18V-28N starlock omt review

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Oscillating muti tools have become a staple in any carpenters tool box in the last decade. Some jobs that are easily done with one now may make you wonder how you ever did a job without it before. Several advancements in the last years have made them even better than before. Bosch partnered with Fein to develop a new blade attachment design that transfers more torque to the blade. This new design called starlock has been put on the latest version of the 18v bosch brushless model.

This Omt has handled everything that i have thrown at it so far. It cuts fast and efficiently. As seen from the videos it cuts faster than every other omt that I have tested it against, even the older bosch which besides the starlock connection and led light they are identical. It does this because of the starlock. I think a lot of people think the starlock is only for quick hands free attaching and detaching the blade. It does all of that but it also adds performance to the too. The starlock has a 3d fit that allows less lost energy in the blade. It is really crazy how fast it cuts, especially if you are used to an omt that is 10-15 years old. The blades pop in easily without touching anything on the tool and pops out with the release of a lever on the side. The led light on the front is bright and lights up the area well wear you are cutting unless you have the blade in there at a 90 or something. The dial at the back for variable speed works well but gets bumped a lot. The switch has a strong detent on it so it hasn’t gotten bumped off by accident ever. The battery placement isn’t anything of a problem but if used with a core battery you can’t see or use the gauge on the battery, with other 4ah older batteries its not a problem.

Its definitely a solid unit and its a little bit heavier because of that but not bad at all, just a few more ones than some of the other brands. The brushless motor gives this excellent run time. I had a full 4ah battery and used it nonstop clearing away super old rock hard window glazing from some steel frame windows. It ran for 35 minutes strait. After it completely was drained the battery was not even hot at all unlike other tools I have used the batteries on. Also one thing to note after having the tool for about 4 or 5 months it died on me mid cut. It had a full battery but just slowed down then completely quit while cutting a piece of boral. I have talked to other people with the same omt and never heard of this happening to anyone else and I believe that this was a fluke and doesn’t represent the majority of the tools made. In mass producing thousands of tools there are bound to be some mistakes that slip through the cracks. When there are thats what the warranty is for and the bosch warranty was great. A completely new replacement was sent to me very quickly. Bosch did a great job with this tool, Its definitely worth an upgrade if you have an older omt.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Awesome.
    Do you think it’s worth upgrading from the older brushless bosch that just has the OIS connection system? @Austin
    I don’t use my omt extensively, maybe once a month or so. When I need it nothing else will do.

j

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@xtsallad probably not worth upgrading that. The starlock is faster, you can see from the video. But the non starlock bosch still beats most other omt’s out there. Especially if its something you don’t use a ton.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Does your battery fit snug? I got this OMT when it first came out, and the battery has always seemed sloppy to me. Love the way it performs, but I’ve wondered if this is normal.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Very nice review,, just a few questions??
    Did you have tha same new blade on both the Makita and bosch?
    Did you compare the Makita 6.0ah battery with the bosch 6.3ah battery?
    Just wondering. I don’t like the makita because it’s so fat around. I like the thin feel of the Ridgid a lot more.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@brianpeters yes its like that way on purpose. It has a spring with a little bit of slop. The tool vibrates at such a high frequency that the little bit of slop isolates the vibrations from the battery so it doesn’t cause any harm to it.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@dirtywhiteboy Both blades were the same but the makita did have a smaller 2ah battery and the bosch with a 4ah on it. so it had a little bit of advantage there but even if the odds were reversed the bosch still wouldv spanked it. The makita feels so much weaker compared to the bosch. They need to come out with a brushless one soon. I wouldnt be surprised if we see one soon as makita filed a patent for a brushless model last august.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Ok, I took some pictures. I understand it should have some movement, but mine has a lot. The pics are with an older battery in, but my Core battery for just as sloppily.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

whats the movement like a heavy1/8″-3/16″ because thats what mine has

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

whats the movement like a heavy1/8″-3/16″ because thats what mine has

I would say it’s about that, up and down and side to side both. The guy I work with has a Makita, the battery goes in vertically instead of hanging horizontal like the Bosch. Seems like a better way to me. I do still prefer mine over his though!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Austin another very nice review, Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks, Austin, I couldn’t agree more about the speed and versatility of the Starlock.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The makita feels so much weaker compared to the bosch. They need to come out with a brushless one soon. I wouldnt be surprised if we see one soon as makita filed a patent for a brushless model last august.

I agree, that OMT is a tool that’s been on the market over 5 years now. I really don’t like the girth of the tool.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

Good review Austin. I just ordered the 18V Starlock online last week and will receive it when I get back from my vacation. It’ll be interesting to see for me how it compares to my corded Feins.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I don’t understand what they were cutting in the second video.
    Anyone?

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I don’t understand what they were cutting in the second video.
    Anyone?

A 2×6 that was sticking past the window where the jamb extension goes.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Very detailed review including some nice videos…good job

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.414 seconds