dcsimg

Bosch GLM50 laser distance measure.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I am not comepletly comfortable with it yet but my GLM50 is quite capable of taking measurements for material cutting. I used it on a house full of closet rods and all but one came out perfect. The one that was off was off by three inches. I think that was operator error in reading.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I see a lot of architects and contractors at work and i can’t recall the last time one of them actually took out a tape measure, they all use the laser. I would love to try out a laser but am with Brendan, for now I am good with my tape.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

The laser will never replace the tape for construction and building. If you need to set a post 4″ out from the wall or you need to set your cabinets 32″ apart for the oven. The tape is far superior to the laser for these applications. Remember the laser goes out till it hits something then returns to the sensor to make the measurement. If there is nothing out there to hit then there will be nothing to measure. If there is an object out there to hit and you are trying to set them a certain distance apart you will have to set them and measure. If it is not the correct width then you will have to readjust the objects and measure again. Over and over again until you have them set. Lasters don’t give you a continuous reading like sliding something along a tape measure.

redwood
    Pro

Actually, mine can be set up to give continuous readings. I still would not use it in the way you are describing though.

The way it works is if you were trying to find 90 deg. off a object, say a wall. You would sweep the LDM until the distance was the shortest, thus 90 deg. Or if you were walking towards or away from something and needed to be a specific distance away.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

These look really cool.

Orange County, CA

They are definitely handy for measuring high ceilings or over areas where there isn’t a safe place to walk.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Actually, mine can be set up to give continuous readings. I still would not use it in the way you are describing though.

The way it works is if you were trying to find 90 deg. off a object, say a wall. You would sweep the LDM until the distance was the shortest, thus 90 deg. Or if you were walking towards or away from something and needed to be a specific distance away.

Mark that is a very neat feature. This could come in real handy in a large sq/ft project.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I forgot that the next step up from mine had the continuous mode. I really like the ability to sweep and measure corner to corner.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I was wondering if the GLM 50 can store measurments, or do you have to write down each one? Say I was measuring windows (w x h).

I hadn’t realized measuring lasers were now able to do this. That is really, really awesome. Have you actually used it to find 90 deg off of anything and was it sufficiently accurate?

John S

The angle measuring is pretty cool — I noticed this in the Bosch video on Bosch’s website. Pretty slick.

Orange County, CA

redwood
    Pro

John, I have other lasers that I use for that task, but it will find square if it’s on a tripod and it will be as accurate as you can get it. You will need a plumb bob hanging from the tripod to the ground.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Do any of you guys use this for measuring stock at a tool — i.e. miter saw or something where/when traditionally you would use a tape measure?

Orange County, CA

redwood
    Pro

Not me Scott. I’m not sure it’s practical in that situation. I suppose that you could put the LDM against the stop and measure to the blade, for cutting. I might just try that.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Not me Scott. I’m not sure it’s practical in that situation. I suppose that you could put the LDM against the stop and measure to the blade, for cutting. I might just try that.

Did you try it yet??

Do any of you guys use this for measuring stock at a tool — i.e. miter saw or something where/when traditionally you would use a tape measure?

So you are wondering if it could work like a precision measuring guide system (like these: http://www.woodpeck.com/media/trak_stop_inst.pdf = http://www.rockler.com/kreg-precision-measuring-systems-kit or http://www.sawgear.com/Portals/0/Documents/SawGear-Brochure-FINAL-web.pdf)

John S

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

I received one for Christmas, Ive used it around the house and such. I can’t wait to use it on the job. I know it will come in hand a lot and will save time reeling up the 50′ or 100′ tapes.

Westcoastredneck
    Pro
    Thousand Oaks, California

How does this measure up, NO PUNN INTENDED, to the Hilti Laser Tape? I worked with the hilti one for years and its incredible Do you know how much this one is roughly?

How does this measure up, NO PUNN INTENDED, to the Hilti Laser Tape? I worked with the hilti one for years and its incredible Do you know how much this one is roughly?

The Hilti or the Bosch? It also depends on which model Hilti you are referring to…
    The GLM 50 is something like $100 and I think the PD 5 (very basic model) is something like $250-350, but I am not positive. But that is just a basic laser distance measurer… Their other models start to get pretty pricey pretty fast. Just do a search for the PD 40 and 42.

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

My DLR165 is right on with the #s .

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.127 seconds