dcsimg

Bosch GLM50 laser distance measure.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Finally got around to putting this through its paces today. Really like this alot. I need to spend more time with the manual. This little guy can do a lot more than I was able to figure out on my own. First off it was very accurate and very repeatable. Several sets of measurements verified that variation from one reading to the next was 1/32 or less. Better than my poor eyes can do. Where this shines is in inside to inside measurements. no guessing, no bending tapes. Just correct measurements. It will not replace your tape completely. It amazed me how many times I needed my tape to measure a point out in space. I see this being the most beneficial when doing quotes and estimates.

Jerry – what sorts of distance in your measurements do you find this laser most helpful for?

John S

redwood
    Pro

I have the GLM 80, which is probably a step up from yours, but really it does just the same things. Mine does indirect vertical measurements, but not indirect horizontal measurements. The horiz. would be much better, but I guess harder to implement. Of course the literature available before I bought it wasn’t very specific regarding these areas. Mine also has a inclometer, which is OK for slopes.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nope don’t have one,,,I have an older one

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

The works the same at all distances within its range. I found it better than a tape for distances over 5 ft. Under 5 ft and the tape was easier and faster. 5 ft is the limit of my reach with 2 hands and still see to read the tappe

redwood
    Pro

I was able to measure the height of a tree.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

That’s a neat trick Paul bunyon. I mean Mark. Seriously that ability would be handy for measuring gable heights and such.

woodman_412

Jerry, does the unit give you a red dot on whatever it is measuring to? I would think it would be a slick rig to have for measuring up for kitchens. Would you trust it enough to base a kitchen layout on the dimensions that it gives?

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

Dan, it will measure between walls and floor to ceiling more accurately and quicker then a tape measure. But not much else without help.

What type of measurements would you require?

Basically, as long as you have a target that the red laser beam can focus on, you can measure from the unit to that point.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Mark is right. The laser is great for in between but it is not so great for layout points out in the middle. To do that you have to use a target board but if you are going to that much trouble you should just use a tape.

woodman_412

Sounds like it would be great for measuring up for a kitchen then when I have to measure between walls and get ceiling heights etc. Wouldn’t help much though when I’m creating a floor plan to go from and locating windows, doors etc.

Dan

danpattison.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I used this again today and think the best use of this product is going to be material lists for interior work, and estimates. I figured out the amount of needed base for a room in about a minute using the addition function.

Sounds like painters should own a few of these to make estimating easy for them

John S

redwood
    Pro

I like it for decks that even I won’t walk on. I can get a pretty decent estimate of the existing dimensions by pointing it at posts.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

woodman_412

I used this again today and think the best use of this product is going to be material lists for interior work, and estimates. I figured out the amount of needed base for a room in about a minute using the addition function.

Will it let you add up a series of dimensions that you take as you go?

Dan

danpattison.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Sorry Dan,
    I missed your post. Yes, it will. Take the first measurement hit the add button and take the next button and hit add again and it gives you the total of the first two and is ready for the next measurement to add to the running total. Very neat feature. Another thing I noticed when I was doing that was that I had set the laser to give me inches. When I got through I had a really large number of inches that were of no use for going and buying material. I toggled the units from inches to feet and inches and it gave me the conversion a large number of inches to 35 ft 7 inches. Which makes it a lot easier to order material.

I have used laser measuring devices and I will say it takes a few times to get comfortable enough to trust the reading. Its way more accurate, but not seeing it on a tape stretched over the distance is unsettling at first.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

The last three contractors I had in to quote jobs all used the Bosch laser GLM50 laser distance measure. Gone are the days of rolling measures and tape for quoting. I agree though that tape will never be obsolete.

FLAUER
    Pro
    MENOMONEE FALLS, WI

I am always nervous building of measurements made with the lazers. I still prefer the old tape measure. Estimate, sure, bust out the laser.

I would think that the accuracy the laser provides is getting close to the point that they could truly be reliable for more than just quoting, but they are definitely good for at least that much.

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.540 seconds