dcsimg

Bosch Glide vs the Festool Kapex

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I am probably the only person to dig into a Kapex, you wont find much on FOG about cleaning them. Not too many people are willing to work on thier own Bently. And Festool has yet to own the problem.

I don’t recall seeing anything on the FOG about doing what you did, but then I go long stretches not looking at the FOG.

So what is it I should do here. Just take the cover off and blow compressed air there? Anything else while I’ve got it open?

Go back a bit and read @oldcountrywoodworks reply. You need to get in and chip off the buildup of crud.

So I went and found that post. Seems it involves pulling the motor. I took a look at with the cover still off and I ain’t going there right now, or maybe ever. I’d need to see avideo on what’s involved. At first glance, it doesn’t look easy-peazy.

In regards to cleaning the Kapex field some of you are reading it wrong. Dust is not being blown out. The dust has reformed into a ring on the field and needs to be picked off with your fingers or o wooden stick.

If not eventually this buildup breaks off and shorts out the armature.

Question, is it the field windings where the dust needs to be picked off? If it’s that, mine are really clean. Mine has stayed mostly in my air condition shop all its life and I always use an extractor with it and keep a pretty clean shop. I have DC everywhere and an air cleaner that I rarely actually need to use for airborne dust.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If it’s that, mine are really clean.

Maybe it’s something that only happens to saws that are used,,,,, on a regular- daily bases.

Doobie

If it’s that, mine are really clean.

Maybe it’s something that only happens to saws that are used,,,,, on a regular- daily bases.

Quite likely. Mine is probably qualified as baby-sat compared to real pro usage. I’ve used mine lots, but nowhere near that of a real pro nor in what environments other users likely use it in either insofar as what may be a harmful environment towards it’s abuse otherwise.

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

I am going to try one more time.

You will have no way of knowing how clean your field is until you take the armature out.

Brushes at top of motor.
    Motor spins
    brushes wear
    Carbon dust falls down
    carbon dust rewelds itself to field at the top and at the bottom
    when ring gets to be more than one mm it breaks off.

Served apprenticeship in 1977 in Bavaria

Doobie

You will have no way of knowing how clean your field is until you take the armature out.

That’s fine, how easy is it to take it out?

I actually found a series of videos done by a guy who has a Kapex all taken apart more or less, and while I may have missed it rifling thru them real quick, I didn’t see how this is done.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

OldCountryWoodworks wrote:

That’s fine, how easy is it to take it out?

I actually found a series of videos done by a guy who has a Kapex all taken apart more or less, and while I may have missed it rifling thru them real quick, I didn’t see how this is done.

So, you’re saying that you think you have the information you need but you haven’t really watched it entirely yet and you are still asking questions here. Is that about it? What else can we do for you?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

At 5:40 of the first video is a black piece being put over the armature. Inside this black piece is the magnet. This is where you will find the carbon build up Problem. ( NOT THE BRUSHES )

Served apprenticeship in 1977 in Bavaria

Doobie

At 5:40 of the first video is a black piece being put over the armature. Inside this black piece is the magnet. This is where you will find the carbon build up Problem. ( NOT THE BRUSHES )

Thanks Eric. Appreciate you taking the time.

Doobie

SEMI OLD THREAD WARNING.

For lack of a better thread to plunk this in rather than start a new one, this JLC article doing a comparison between 8 different currently available miter saws is pretty interesting.

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.284 seconds