dcsimg

Bosch Glide vs the Festool Kapex

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

Much has changed in the three years since this thread began.

In the beginning of 2016, there was no viable battery operated sliding compound miter saw available anywhere but in tool trade shows and perhaps on youtube, where professional tool reviewers may have been given one to generate press and buzz for the eminent product introduction.

Three years later, there are several serious contenders in battery operated sliding compound miter saws that when measured in terms of typical usage, rival the performance of plug in saws while offering freedom from hauling in yet another heavy gauge power cord. The ability to quickly redeploy a battery operated SCMS from floor to floor, or even room to room, whether or not the electrical is complete or permitted to be turned on… is additional gravy in favor of cutting the cord.

Not all of these benefits apply to all of the arguments tendered favoring the either of the two saws compared… but when it comes to selecting a sliding compound miter saw for a jobsite, neither of the two saws compared in this thread would be on my list in 2019, even though one of these two saws is in my possession (but wouldn’t be, had I not bought it before all the battery models arrived on the scene).

Most of my tools are Makita and I am having a solid look at their battery saw

Served apprenticeship in 1977 in Bavaria

redwood
    Pro

I sold my non functioning Kapex for $ 350 I think.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

CB
    Spectator

Most of my tools are Makita and I am having a solid look at their battery saw

Likewise. The recently introduced Makita battery operated SCMS has the same up against the wall close quarters design as does the Kapex and the Bosch Glide… but in a seemingly more compact, battery powered format.

In the original comparison, the Bosch Glide won me over the Kapex. If faced with the same decision today, the new battery powered Makita would be at the top of a very short list.

Doobie

For all the Kapex owners, and I am one. Take your motor apart once a year and clean the accumulated carbon from the magnets. This should prolong the life of the motor. It has a design flaw that will not be publicly acknowledged by Kapex.

You mentioned that in another thread a week or so ago….

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/track-saw-tips-and-tricks/page/7/#post-717566

Thank you Kevin,

I have Festool tools but they do have some flaws. The miter saw has an upright motor with the brushes on top. As they wear the dust falls down and accumulates on the magnets of the field. When this buildup gets to be about one mm after about two years, it breaks off and puff your saw goes up in smoke.

This has happened twice to me. I learned this by taking it apart the second time and giving it a good inspection. So now the plan is to remove the motor once a year and clean it. I will not get it repaired a third time.

Eric

I’ve still been thinking about this since you said that.

So how do you go about taking it apart? How involving is that to get at the brushes to clear the dust away? I don’t mind mind invasive tinkering normally, but with Festool stuff or things that I think are probably finicky to reassemble, I’m girlie-man to some extent.

Doobie

I sold my non functioning Kapex for $ 350 I think.

Mark, face it, you miss that puppy! 😉

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

In regards to cleaning the Kapex field some of you are reading it wrong. Dust is not being blown out. The dust has reformed into a ring on the field and needs to be picked off with your fingers or o wooden stick.

If not eventually this buildup breaks off and shorts out the armature.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So how do you go about taking it apart?

Just take it apart.. the biggest most visible screws first.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

LOL I think Dirty pretty much nailed the disassembly instructions.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Doh! It’s putting it back together is what I’m afraid of. 😤

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Doh! It’s putting it back together is what I’m afraid of. 😤

Video the disassembly and play it backwards.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

This is good advice “Video the disassembly and play it backwards” some that I have never been able to follow.

Will

Doobie

Doh! It’s putting it back together is what I’m afraid of.

Video the disassembly and play it backwards.

I typically do take at least pics when I do such things. But even then, some tools can be nightmarish once you start taking things apart.

I have to replace the accessory holder that came broken on my Bosch 9 gallon vac that I received as a redemption not long ago. In talking to the Bosch tech support guy, he said to try to avoid taking the motor shroud off completely as it is a nightmare putting it back on apparently. Still haven’t dealt with that yet, but Bosch did send me out the replacement part free of charge.

CB
    Spectator

Sent a free tool, and sent a replacement part for free too. Amazing.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If you don’t feel comfortable taking it apart then I wouldn’t. I have always fixed my own tools and like taking them apart. I think it started when I was a kid with my moped…

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

If you don’t feel comfortable taking it apart then I wouldn’t. I have always fixed my own tools and like taking them apart.

It usually is not too hard. Most every tool has a YouTube video on how to disassemble they usually cover all the hidden screws and the tricky part getting it back together again.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

If you don’t feel comfortable taking it apart then I wouldn’t. I have always fixed my own tools and like taking them apart. I think it started when I was a kid with my moped…

I’ll probably go ahead and try. Just not a pressing issue for me right now.

Most every tool has a YouTube video on how to disassemble they usually cover all the hidden screws and the tricky part getting it back together again.

Good idea. When I get around to it, I’ll try to dig up a YT video and also see if there is anything on the FOG about how to easily go about cleaning up the Kapex.

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

I am probably the only person to dig into a Kapex, you wont find much on FOG about cleaning them. Not too many people are willing to work on thier own Bently. And Festool has yet to own the problem.

Doobie

I am probably the only person to dig into a Kapex, you wont find much on FOG about cleaning them. Not too many people are willing to work on thier own Bently. And Festool has yet to own the problem.

I don’t recall seeing anything on the FOG about doing what you did, but then I go long stretches not looking at the FOG.

So what is it I should do here. Just take the cover off and blow compressed air there? Anything else while I’ve got it open?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I don’t recall seeing anything on the FOG about doing what you did, but then I go long stretches not looking at the FOG.

So what is it I should do here. Just take the cover off and blow compressed air there? Anything else while I’ve got it open?

Go back a bit and read @oldcountrywoodworks reply. You need to get in and chip off the buildup of crud.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Go back a bit and read @oldcountrywoodworks reply. You need to get in and chip off the buildup of crud.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.508 seconds