dcsimg

Bosch Glide vs the Festool Kapex

This topic contains 68 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

How can anyone base there information on these saws if the guy never makes angle cuts everything is 90 degree . It boggles my mind how people listen to this stuff .

I agree,, that guy was a tool!!! He had to clam down his wood to get a accurate cut???? Really

Yeah I don’t think I have ever used that ever. But the holes that it is used fore ate great for a fastcap saw hood

I have had the 12″ glide for a while now. My take on it…..

First….it is a better saw than I am a woodworker. The accuracy, which is the primary concern, is spot on. It is built pretty well as far as I can see and that is reflected in the weight. Mine is used in a shop and I don’t have to move it, which may be a concern for others, but not me. I am still using the blade that came with it and it seems fine. It will likely be upgraded though.

I don’t use the clamp on it, so that is a non issue for me. I can see an upgraded one similar to the Kapex being handy though. I like the handle, once I got accustomed to using the safety lockout. Push don’t pull it works better.

Dust collection is a weak point. I don’t mind dust in my shop and I have it set up so it gathers pretty good in one area behind the saw and have modified the rubber end of the chute with a piece of inner tube which helped a lot. I would imagine that once I get some sort of dust collection creating some suction it will improve a bit too. Still could be better though.

I made a zero clearance insert for it and I think it is a must have. I also think that goes for any of them. I have not used it in a bevel position but I would put the stock insert back in if I do to keep the integrity of the one I made. As for having a rack and pinion set up to adjust the bevel, I could see how that would be a major benefit. That being said, the front release on the glide for bevel adjustment is a great feature.

Laser guide….I have never had a tool with one, so I can’t attest to how handy that would be. You would want one that shows both sides of the blade on the work. I can see it being a good thing, I don’t know why it isn’t on as the NAINA one has it.

Most of the things that are the glides short comings are minor quibbles and I don’t think having a laser, better dust collection and the bevel adjustment would warrant double the price. It is great for a shop saw but I would not want to lug it around on a job site, with or without a gravity rise stand. As a stationary piece of equipment, I think you can do no better. Any upgrades for more money and you are getting into diminishing returns on your investment. The easiest thing Bosch could do is to redesign the dust collection and not have it affect the price.

I am completely happy with what the Bosch Glide does. It cuts accurate and has a nice large capacity for width….almost 14″ at 90 degrees, so I hits it out of the park for what I want it to do.

Oh…and I love the depth adjustment feature on it, that makes it as handy as a radial arm saw….I have used it and it is brilliant.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I agree entirely with your comments, Jim. Like you, mine is shop use only.

I would like to add that changing the factory blade to a finer, quality blade makes a world of difference in dust collection especially. I was lucky enough to find a Dimar 96 tooth full kerf blade on kijiji of all places. The new blade combined with your inner tube mod and DC is at least acceptable now.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

I would like to add that changing the factory blade to a finer, quality blade makes a world of difference in dust collection especially. I was lucky enough to find a Dimar 96 tooth full kerf blade on kijiji of all places. The new blade combined with your inner tube mod and DC is at least acceptable now.

I remember that conversation about the Dimar blade. Perhaps when we get together for the Hamilton show you can bring me the one you said you would pass on to me if it is still available.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I remember that conversation about the Dimar blade. Perhaps when we get together for the Hamilton show you can bring me the one you said you would pass on to me if it is still available.

That’s what I had in mind. Looking forward to it.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

woodman_412

I watched that video awhile back too and I actually sent him the link for my dust collection mods for the axial glide saw. I’m sure the Kapex is a nice saw but the axial glide saw is a beautiful saw too and with the sale price I got on my glide saw I could have bought 6 of them for the cost of one Kapex! No way in the world a Kapex could ever make sense for me with that kind of price difference, even if you compare a non sale price. I’ve been super happy with my glide saw.

Dan

danpattison.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I watched that video awhile back too and I actually sent him the link for my dust collection mods for the axial glide saw. I’m sure the Kapex is a nice saw but the axial glide saw is a beautiful saw too and with the sale price I got on my glide saw I could have bought 6 of them for the cost of one Kapex! No way in the world a Kapex could ever make sense for me with that kind of price difference, even if you compare a non sale price. I’ve been super happy with my glide saw.

I wonder if I can take my larger dust collector the onieda and get a step down adapter to plug into the glide and see if the increased airflow would make it less dusty, as even with the dust deputy and dust collector, the mdf was flying like a snowstorm.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I wonder if I can take my larger dust collector the onieda and get a step down adapter to plug into the glide and see if the increased airflow would make it less dusty, as even with the dust deputy and dust collector, the mdf was flying like a snowstorm.

I tried putting a 2 1/2 inch hose on it and it makes it kinda to bulky when changing miter and bevel angles. The 25-30 mm is the sweet spot imo

woodman_412

Using a larger hose won’t help you any Aaron if you’re connecting it to the same standard dust port on the saw. The dust port is going to be your smallest diameter opening and that limits the air flow to what can fit through that opening. It doesn’t matter how big the hose is that’s connected to it, you’ll still only get the smaller air flow because the air traveling through the dust port won’t be compressed at dust collector pressures. Using a larger hose actually makes things worse since the velocity of the air drops inside of the hose when it’s connected to a smaller port that limits the air flow. Your best bet is to use a hose that is as close to the diameter of the port as possible. I used some 1 1/2″ inside diameter hose on my glide saw and it works great. The custom dust boot makes a world of difference too.

Dan

danpattison.com

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

If it weren’t for the weight I’d get an axial glide instead of my Kapex.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Is the Kapex that much lighter?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Is the Kapex that much lighter?

Yea the Kapex weighs in at 47 lbs. Where the Bosch weighs 64 or 65 lbs depending on the size.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Using a larger hose won’t help you any Aaron if you’re connecting it to the same standard dust port on the saw. The dust port is going to be your smallest diameter opening and that limits the air flow to what can fit through that opening. It doesn’t matter how big the hose is that’s connected to it, you’ll still only get the smaller air flow because the air traveling through the dust port won’t be compressed at dust collector pressures. Using a larger hose actually makes things worse since the velocity of the air drops inside of the hose when it’s connected to a smaller port that limits the air flow. Your best bet is to use a hose that is as close to the diameter of the port as possible. I used some 1 1/2″ inside diameter hose on my glide saw and it works great. The custom dust boot makes a world of difference too.

thanks for explaining that, would it help if it split the airflow between the hose and another one with a larger opening? so like a table saw that has over under dust collection?

thanks for explaining that, would it help if it split the airflow between the hose and another one with a larger opening? so like a table saw that has over under dust collection?

I actually disagree.

A dust collector – think HP rating and 4-inch ducting – such as your Oneida will do a good job moving a LOT of air, but at a low static pressure. This means it has very little “pick-up” but moves a lot of light dust.

On the flip side, a dust extractor, or shop vac type is a low air movement, but high static pressure device. It will put a lot of pull on a small volume of air. Thats why it works so well with a sander. Can pull the dust through those little holes.

An extractor with all the right setup will do a great job picking up most of the dust generated by a miter saw, but a hood located in the right place, like the big gulp, with the biggest port your DC can handle, will collect just about all of the fine dust – position it correctly, and the heavier stuff will be thrown into the ductwork too. Look at the Fastcap hood for inspiration there.

Most discussion about dust collection for a miter saw assumes it is being used as a mobile tool – and it often is – but if you want to set up near your Mini Gorilla, you may as well take advantage. I am planning on picking up a big gulp to set up behind my Axial glide (not like I have rails in the way) and will use it with my vac/Dust deputy attached to the small port. Right now, I run both vac and DC with my table saw, may as well do the same with my miter saw.

The Kapex is lightweight and has great dust collection. It is very accurate too. I have been concerned with the motor issues – but mine has works OK so far. The Glide is a nice saw and seems very smooth and accurate. I think that the bevel is the main issue with the motor getting in the way of the fence, but that is not a cut made often. I would have no issue buying a Glide or Milwaukee to replace my Kapex if it gives up the ghost.

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

I actually disagree.

A dust collector – think HP rating and 4-inch ducting – such as your Oneida will do a good job moving a LOT of air, but at a low static pressure. This means it has very little “pick-up” but moves a lot of light dust.

On the flip side, a dust extractor, or shop vac type is a low air movement, but high static pressure device. It will put a lot of pull on a small volume of air. Thats why it works so well with a sander. Can pull the dust through those little holes.

An extractor with all the right setup will do a great job picking up most of the dust generated by a miter saw, but a hood located in the right place, like the big gulp, with the biggest port your DC can handle, will collect just about all of the fine dust – position it correctly, and the heavier stuff will be thrown into the ductwork too. Look at the Fastcap hood for inspiration there.

Most discussion about dust collection for a miter saw assumes it is being used as a mobile tool – and it often is – but if you want to set up near your Mini Gorilla, you may as well take advantage. I am planning on picking up a big gulp to set up behind my Axial glide (not like I have rails in the way) and will use it with my vac/Dust deputy attached to the small port. Right now, I run both vac and DC with my table saw, may as well do the same with my miter saw.

To answer your question Aaron, yes splitting into two hoses would let you make the best use of the air flow that your dust collector is capable of since it’s not being choked down to one small opening on the saw dust port.

I agree with you Eric. A dust collector hooked up to a big hood is definitely better at collecting that fine dust since it has a big volume of air movement. What I was getting at in my comments is that hooking up a big 4″ dust collector hose to just the small dust port on the miter saw doesn’t help at all when compared to hooking up a smaller dust extractor hose since only a certain amount of air will fit through that small dust port. That small dust port just chokes down the air flow that the 4″ line is capable of. A combo of the two like you said would be the ideal setup.

Dan

danpattison.com

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

For all the Kapex owners, and I am one. Take your motor apart once a year and clean the accumulated carbon from the magnets. This should prolong the life of the motor. It has a design flaw that will not be publicly acknowledged by Kapex.

Served apprenticeship in 1977 in Bavaria

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

For all the Kapex owners, and I am one. Take your motor apart once a year and clean the accumulated carbon from the magnets. This should prolong the life of the motor. It has a design flaw that will not be publicly acknowledged by Kapex.

Or you could just sell it and buy 2 other miter saws for the price of that one.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

CB
    Pro

Much has changed in the three years since this thread began.

In the beginning of 2016, there was no viable battery operated sliding compound miter saw available anywhere but in tool trade shows and perhaps on youtube, where professional tool reviewers may have been given one to generate press and buzz for the eminent product introduction.

Three years later, there are several serious contenders in battery operated sliding compound miter saws that when measured in terms of typical usage, rival the performance of plug in saws while offering freedom from hauling in yet another heavy gauge power cord. The ability to quickly redeploy a battery operated SCMS from floor to floor, or even room to room, whether or not the electrical is complete or permitted to be turned on… is additional gravy in favor of cutting the cord.

Not all of these benefits apply to all of the arguments tendered favoring the either of the two saws compared… but when it comes to selecting a sliding compound miter saw for a jobsite, neither of the two saws compared in this thread would be on my list in 2019, even though one of these two saws is in my possession (but wouldn’t be, had I not bought it before all the battery models arrived on the scene).

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

Or you could just sell it and buy 2 other miter saws for the price of that one.

Only if someone is willing to buy

Served apprenticeship in 1977 in Bavaria

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.574 seconds