dcsimg

Bosch Glide vs the Festool Kapex

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am happy with my decision in what I ended up with.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I agree with his final statement in the description Stating That the Festool IS good, but not over twice the Price Good.

Nice video.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I agree with his final statement in the description Stating That the Festool IS good, but not over twice the Price Good.

Nice video.

Agreed. I have seen that video; it’s a very fair comparison IMO.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have seen that. And yeah its a good miter saw but way overpriced. I have used it before and there is no way I would ever get it. I probably wouldn’t even get it if it were around a grand.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

maybe for the timeline that the kapex was originally released it was worth the price but bosch and milwaukee have caught up to the kapex other than the dust collection, the kapex has simply held its selling price

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

I have played with but not used the Bosch glider. I own the Kapex and a few Dewalts. The 2 best things about the Kapex are the lasers and the rock solid tubes. 3rd is dust collection and 4th is the bevel adjustment/guage.

It would be very very hard for me to give up the lasers. I have them dialed in exactly where I want them and do not ever have to do a creep cut. The Dewalt shadow line is a vey close second to the lasers.

All that said, if mine crapped out today and I had to make a decision what to replace it with it would be very tough. I would probably go back to a non-slider. With the track saw and a short track, a slider isn’t really needed.

I had to use our 12″ Dewalt slider the other day and I had forgotten how much play was in that head!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

redwood
    Pro

I’ve had both and another big plus for the Kapex is weight, darn near 40#’s lighter.

Sadly my Kapex crapped out, just out of warranty. So I replaced it with the glide, since I no longer had to transport it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

I have both these saws. The Kapex for coming on 3 years now, and the 10 inch Bosch Glide for a few months. They are both great saws, but they also both have their issues. It all depends on what is important to you and frankly, whether money is a significant issue when it comes down to making a final decision.

Buying the Kapex originally was a bit of a leap for me. Despite having the money to spend on it, I didn’t want to maybe spend that much on a miter saw. But the fact is I was limited in what I could get in sliding saws due to where it needs to go in my small shop. Not having the long rails was a huge factor for me with being able to have it closer to the wall.

Another factor was weight. The Kapex is almost half the weight of most of the competition. I didn’t feel like killing myself lugging it on and off a mobile cart, nor was I crazy about going up and down stairs with a mobile cart that is close to 40 lbs heavier. I knew I’d be using it a lot outside the shop for a few years at the time I got it with the types of projects I had lined up.

Things that surprised me…. dust collection and adjusting for bevel cuts. Hands down, the Kapex is the best dust collection, and I have used my Glide with my Kapex chute boot – still no comparison. Bevel cuts – such an effortless task being able to dial in exactly where you want to go to on the Kapex. No saw I know of comes close to this ease in adjust-ability in my mind.

I got lucky imo at both times when I bought each saw. The Kapex was about to have a price increase here in Canada, and the Festool pricing was at the low range of what it has been over a decade in following their prices due to a sustained period at that time where the Canadian dollar was at or near par with the USD. While I did buy it packaged with a CT36AC dust extractor, I just went and looked at my invoice online where I bought it from at Lee Valley, and compared to today’s prices it is about $600 more now than what I paid for it at the end of March 2014. About a 25% difference.

The Glide was being clearanced price at Canadian Tire not long ago for about 2/5 ths of what it was normally sold for anywhere else. Now I can keep the Kapex in the shop, and use the glide for my outdoor project work and keep it on its now dedicated stand which I used to have for the Kapex and it can stay put in my shed when not in use outside.

Other musings…

Mark S mentions the trigger on the Kapex being a tad awkward – doesn’t bother me one bit. If you’re left handed, you may strongly disagree.

Hold down clamp – I tried to fit one of my Kapex quick hold down clamps on the Glide. the hole is not big enough. True shame. That quick hold down clamp on the Kapex is so quick and easy to use. I don’t use it all the time, but some cuts need it for one reason or another. The one that came with the Glide got embarrassed when it saw the Kapex clamp and quickly jumped up on a hook on the wall and will probably remain there for an archaeologist to find one day.

The Kapex has a nasty issue with thin sliced off pieces falling into the miter slot. I haven’t had that with the glide. I still use the factory installed one although I should put my Betterly zero clearance insert I bought in it finally now that I’ve camped the Kapex in my shop.

Kapex has what I feel is a flimsier housing and components. The Bosch seems more sturdy and rugged.

Kapex has some issues with the motor burning out per what I’ve read recently on the FOG. Not sure how common that is really, only Festool USA can answer that one.

Kapex has an easily adjustable two line built in laser that you can turn on or off and you can actually see on sunny days outside. The glide has none, and from what I’ve read here on BTP, the add-on Bosch laser is not the greatest.

FWIW.

redwood
    Pro

I’ll attest to the Kapex motor burning out.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have heard about the motor burning more on that saw than all the other miter saws put together. Plus the price goes up every year.

Doobie

I have heard about the motor burning more on that saw than all the other miter saws put together. Plus the price goes up every year.

I put a little less weight in those comments for a few reasons. First, many come from the FOG which is a Festool site. Most manufacturers don’t have their own dedicated sites that we may hear of people lamenting their woes with other brands.

Second, people love to bash Festool. It’s a pastime for some. It’s not to say that it’s not somewhat true, but you have to collectively factor in many elements.

I do believe the Kapex is a great saw for the discerning DIYer or ‘nifty tools’ enthusiast as I alluded to earlier, but also for certain pros. Put it on most jobsites and it probably won’t survive near as long as other more rugedly built albeit heavier and dustier brands.

I can see where a trim or cabinet pro working solo or with a helper would benefit from having a Kapex over other brands. They’re extremely functional, very accurate, near mess-free and lend themselves well to high end pros especially if you are working in someone’s home. Have it on a large site for everybody to use and what is the non-caring tendencies of many in how they handle tools, it would get damaged quite easily imo.

I had been catching up on the issue of the motor issue on the FOG the last two days while BTP was down. I read back threads going back months. Other than noticing one of the most vocal members there I would categorize as a flamer, some of the comments I did read in regards to the motor burn out issue is that it is most prevalent when users are habitually not letting the blade getting up to speed before engaging their cuts. I’ve been guilty of that at times. I’m gonna stop myself from doing that having read that now.

@redwood, how much use did you have with the Kapex before the motor went?
    Did you investigate cost of repair? Knock on wood, my Kapex of +4 years has not had a problem but I would figure you put a lot more wood through yours.

How can anyone base there information on these saws if the guy never makes angle cuts everything is 90 degree . It boggles my mind how people listen to this stuff .

Always willing to learn .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nice video comparison.
    Just wish that Bosch spent some time in the R&D lab on Dust Collection. That is my biggest pet peeve about the Glide.
    Second, why the European model would have the laser built in and not the NA model is beyond me?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Nice video comparison.
    Just wish that Bosch spent some time in the R&D lab on Dust Collection. That is my biggest pet peeve about the Glide.
    Second, why the European model would have the laser built in and not the NA model is beyond me?

Especially considering how a slightly larger dust chute makes a huge difference. They sell the laser aftermarket, but reviews are less than great

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I dont have kapex but my cousin have one. Its better then glide on dust collection end weight wise other then that i dont see much diffrent . And def wont pay double the price for it so for me glide is winner

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

redwood
    Pro

Did you investigate cost of repair? Knock on wood, my Kapex of +4 years has not had a problem but I would figure you put a lot more wood through yours.

@PI_Woodworker

For sure, the 3+ years I used the Kapex it had a lot of use. But for the money I spent, it should have gone farther.

My only repair recourse was to ship it back to Festool in Indiana. I had heard the repair estimates for these problems were pretty high. I decided just to move on.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@pi_woodworker

For sure, the 3+ years I used the Kapex it had a lot of use. But for the money I spent, it should have gone farther.

My only repair recourse was to ship it back to Festool in Indiana. I had heard the repair estimates for these problems were pretty high. I decided just to move on.

for a motor burning out, they couldn’t throw in the repair with the high cost of what it was. Thought they would back their equipment up a little more if a good number of people encounter this problem.

Yah dust collection and the laser was something I find lacking with the bosch glide. The laser itself shouldn’t be that big of an issue to add on to a mitre saw but there aren’t any good third party ones either.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How can anyone base there information on these saws if the guy never makes angle cuts everything is 90 degree . It boggles my mind how people listen to this stuff .

I agree,, that guy was a tool!!! He had to clam down his wood to get a accurate cut???? Really

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Thanks for the info Mark. I agree with you wholeheartedly on a longer life for the tool with the cost of the Kapex. And yes, if there are problems with many, step up and help folks out Festool.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.710 seconds