dcsimg

Bosch GLI18v-420 18v work light, analysis, thoughts, and comparison with FL12

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Here’s the CFL180 and the new GLI18v-420.

The 420 is way brighter and a much whiter light.

great picture Eric. It really looks like that BoschNA updated the LED from the 18V worklight. Definitely no yellow touch anymore.

Thanks!

I like the LED so much better that I ordered a replacement bulb for the CFL180 with an LED instead of an incandescent element. If that isn’t bright enough I’ll probably pick up another 420.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice comparison between the 2 madman. Thank you for posting the photo, I ma starting to see the difference between the 2 lights.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

do you happen to have any beam shots with it, perhaps lighting your yard to see how far the throw is?

Nice comparison between the 2 madman. Thank you for posting the photo, I ma starting to see the difference between the 2 lights.

Yes, thank you for the comparison, really looking forward to getting mine.
    I would even think of picking up a older model, and just replace the bulb to the led bulb

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

the light temperature/color of jzmtl’s worklight looks more blueish and in this picture here from a german 18V worklight its appears more yellowish

It’s all about white balance setting on the camera, I had planned photos with locked white balance/aperture/exposure and auto bracket, then compile into HDR so they are much better representation of what you actually see, but got distracted and lost motivation to do them lol.

In reality the GLI18v is a very “white” white, whereas FL12 is quite blue in center and green around it.

My estimation with light meter pegs the GLI18v at about 50% brighter than FL12.

GLI18v with its diffuser on has about the same light projection width as FL12. With the diffuser off, well more or less the same, just a tiny bit less, not enough to be noticeable in actual use IMO. I gotta say the rotating lens is pretty useless, so far I haven’t found a situation where it makes an actual difference.

FL12 is better suited for handheld lighting, GLI18v is a bit awkward to hold.

I’d say they compliment each well if you already have both 12v and 18v system, but not worth getting a new system over.

the light temperature/color of jzmtl’s worklight looks more blueish and in this picture here from a german 18V worklight its appears more yellowish

Think I am going to hold on to my 12v and possibly get another, then pick up an 18 v Milwaukee
    It’s all about white balance setting on the camera, I had planned photos with locked white balance/aperture/exposure and auto bracket, then compile into HDR so they are much better representation of what you actually see, but got distracted and lost motivation to do them lol.

In reality the GLI18v is a very “white” white, whereas FL12 is quite blue in center and green around it.

My estimation with light meter pegs the GLI18v at about 50% brighter than FL12.

GLI18v with its diffuser on has about the same light projection width as FL12. With the diffuser off, well more or less the same, just a tiny bit less, not enough to be noticeable in actual use IMO. I gotta say the rotating lens is pretty useless, so far I haven’t found a situation where it makes an actual difference.

FL12 is better suited for handheld lighting, GLI18v is a bit awkward to hold.

I’d say they compliment each well if you already have both 12v and 18v system, but not worth getting a new system over.

Think I am going to hold on to my 12v and possibly get another, then pick up an 18 v Milwaukee

I’ve used my GLI18v a few times now. It’s a solid, functional, useful light. The adjustment between the 2 light modes is nearly imperceptible, although a fine woodworker or detail painter might say otherwise. Way easier to hang the GLI18v in nooks and crannies than the CFL180. I like the tight beam on the CFL180 alot more to spotlight a smaller area further away. The GLI18v is quite bright, but diffuses light wider, less focused.

I’m underwhelmed that we waited so long for such a basic 18v LED light from Bosch, but I’m happy I finally have both options on my shelf.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.309 seconds