dcsimg

Bosch GLI18v-420 18v work light, analysis, thoughts, and comparison with FL12

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Finally got my hands on one via ebay, since it’s still not a standalone retail unit yet, I thought I’d post some details on the light and some comparisons with FL12.

The one I bought was a part of a set that seller broke down, so it came in a plain cardboard box, with a fabric pouch, very similar to those that come with laser measurers. The pouch is meant for the bare tool, so it won’t fit the light with battery installed.

It will work with any of the Bosch 18v batteries, and will run 9 hours with 4AH fatpack, 13.5 hours with 6AH. No slim pack is listed but I estimate 4 hours with 2.0 slim pack, which is what I intended to use it with.

It only has one mode unlike FL12, which is a bit of disappointment, the 420 lumen output can be too bright for close quarter work.

The light has three LED emitters behind the rotary plastic lens. FL12 has a thin o-ring between bezel and lens to provide some splash resistance, GLI18v does not, so keep it away from water. The lens is attached with the CENTER screw on back of light, you can turn the screw to adjust how easily the lens rotates.

The emitters are reflow soldered onto the circuit board, so for anyone who wants to swap in more powerful ones it will be quite difficult.

I’m happy to see the board is well attached to the heatsink with heatsinking compound, so heat can be dissipated by the massive finned heatsink. The light also has built in protection that will turn it off when heatsink reaches 140F/60C, but unless you work in some extreme heat it probably will never happen.

The connectors are very well made and soldering is well done, I’m sure you will break the light before they fail. The housing is made of 35% glass fiber reinforced nylon, very strong plastic.

It’s surprisingly small for a 18v light, same height and thickness as FL12, just a bit wider.

It does weight more than FL12 at 22oz/623g (with 2.0 pack). FL12 is 16oz/454g.

Strange enough it doesn’t have a 90 degree detent, the closest is pointing slightly up.

One thing that bugs me with FL12 is you can’t put it on a higher surface and pointing the head down since it’ll just topple over, not a problem with GLI18v. The manual tells you to fasten the light to work surface if you tilt it more than 90 degrees, but even with a slimpack it’s stable enough that there’s no need for it.

It was however slightly disappointing to see it cannot tilt 180 degrees and point straight down, so it can be used as an overhead light.

More to come when I have time.

Great review! How does the light output compare to the fl2?

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Great review! How does the light output compare to the fl2?

Thanks, output is slightly brighter to my eyes (makes sense since spec is 420 vs. 350), I’ll do some measurement and photo comparisons this weekend.

Wow thanks for that indepth review on the two different volt units . And for taking some of it apart .

Always willing to learn .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

awesome review, I can’t wait till mine arrives, would definitely work well with the fl12’s i was noticing it was a pain that i can’t tilt the lights forward without it toppling.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

What a great review, thanks for all of the pictures too.

@jzmtl wow, good job on the review,
    I am definitely going to like this light, just gives another option with the 18 volt battery packs, and the runtime with the 4 ah is great.
    Thanks for doing a great review.
    How did you find the rubber strap, how strong and and what are the position that can be used in.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Very nice review. Makes me want the 18V light even more. Thank you for sharing

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Thanks guys!

I am definitely going to like this light, just gives another option with the 18 volt battery packs, and the runtime with the 4 ah is great.
    How did you find the rubber strap, how strong and and what are the position that can be used in.

The rubber strap is pretty strong, it just freely rotates almost 360 degrees. You can pull it off the nubs holding it on and reinsert it into any of the holes. Nice because it can be looped around stuff FL12 can’t hook onto, like a overhead pipe/beam.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thank you for posting the review. Very nice.

Great review. I have many of the same thoughts about my own GLI18v-420.

I find that the pouch is a nice way to carry a battery.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

very detailed comparison jzmtl – great job on that. it looks like the NA worklight has different led’s than the european

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Thanks guys!

The rubber strap is pretty strong, it just freely rotates almost 360 degrees. You can pull it off the nubs holding it on and reinsert it into any of the holes. Nice because it can be looped around stuff FL12 can’t hook onto, like a overhead pipe/beam.

Ah that sounds like a good option.
    Thanks Jie. Really looking forward to getting mine.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Great review, nice to see more people getting their hands on these lights!

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

nice review, thanks. Still think the 12 is good for us. Really want to see ho the 18 holds up

very detailed comparison jzmtl – great job on that. it looks like the NA worklight has different led’s than the european

Is it the color temperature of the LEDs? I vaguely remember that on the European version it was a warmer white like an incandescent but there could be white balance at play with photos.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Is it the color temperature of the LEDs? I vaguely remember that on the European version it was a warmer white like an incandescent but there could be white balance at play with photos.

@Reflector

the light temperature/color of jzmtl’s worklight looks more blueish and in this picture here from a german 18V worklight its appears more yellowish

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Here’s the CFL180 and the new GLI18v-420.

The 420 is way brighter and a much whiter light.

Attachments:
    Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

@jzmtl nice review. I love mine don’t have the fl12 but gli420 I have over year and it’s my to go flashlight with plenty light. I wish they put a low and high settings sometimes in small places like inside the cabinet it’s to much light speacially under sink work

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Here’s the CFL180 and the new GLI18v-420.

The 420 is way brighter and a much whiter light.

great picture Eric. It really looks like that BoschNA updated the LED from the 18V worklight. Definitely no yellow touch anymore.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.547 seconds