dcsimg

Bosch GA50DC DC guard compatibility question

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I got a BOSCH GA50SC dust collection guard (thank you BTP). I now need to buy a BOSCH grinder that is compatible with it.

From the piece of paper that comes with the guard, it says the guard works on models: 1800, 1801, 1803EVS, 1810PS, 1810PSD, 1811PS, 1811PSD, 1821, 1821D, AG40-11PD, AG40-11P, AG40-85, AG40-85PD, AG40-85P, AG50-10, AG50-11VS, AG50-11VSPD, AG50-125PD.

I am thinking of getting an 18V 5″ grinder. So the grinder I have in mind is the BOSCH GWS18V-50, which is NOT on the list.

But then I looked at Bosch’s web site:

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/grinder-attachments-ga50dc-138748-p/

and it says:

Toolless installation is compatible with 1800, AG, and GWS series 4.5 In. and 5 In. small angle grinders (excluding GWS8-45 and GWS9-45)

So this list all GWS series except two and I think this seems to suggest the GWS18V-50 is compatible.

Anyone knows for sure? Thanks!

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

and if no one knows, is there an email address I can send to Bosch some kind of technical support department that can verify for me?

Doobie
    Pro

Nope.

and if no one knows, is there an email address I can send to Bosch some kind of technical support department that can verify for me?

Best to just call them Sami.

877-BOSCH99

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Nope.

Best to just call them Sami.

877-BOSCH99

I did already, they don’t know. They put me on hold and I listened to soothing music for 10 minutes before I hung up.

I then tried to use the general Bosch web site’s “Contact Me” and that website couldn’t send message, something to do with no allowing special characters like dashes, slashes, colons, and quotes. How can you describe a problem without dashes with all your model numbers have dashes? How can you paste the address of a web site without using slashes when the address itself contains slashes? How can you not use quotes when you are trying to describe 4.5″, 5″ things? I can’t seem to get past whatever it was that they required.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

also, I heard that the GWS18V-45 and GWS18V-50 are Made in Germany, is this true?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

also, I heard that the GWS18V-45 and GWS18V-50 are Made in Germany, is this true?

It very well could be. Lots of bosch core tools, I mean all the tool they are know for before they started pumping all this 18 volt stuff out of china are still made in Germany. I know my demo hammers are made in Germany.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I got a message out to Bosch customer support yesterday and hopefully will hear back soon.

I also noticed there is a newer brushless model out GWS18V-125SC or even GWS18V-125PC with a paddle switch but apparently it’s not available in the USA. All the reviews and retail outlets are in UK or AU. The GWS18V-50 I was thinking of getting requires a tool to adjust the guard which is annoying.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

After looking at all the various 18V Bosch grinders, I am more confused as ever. Why are there so many variations of these grinders and some of the similar models have very different designs, and many of them not available in NA.

Based on my research, I now conclude that there is not a 18V 5″ grinder made by Bosch that is brushless, with a paddle switch, with a tool free wheel guard.

The GWS18V-45LI has a guard that is the most difficult to change in the world LOL.

Doobie
    Pro

That guy really doesn’t like the guard. Probably more because it made him have to reach for his owners manual to figure out how to deal with it, lol!

He seems to imply the ratcheting sound when the wheel is hand turned on the Bosch is a negative when in fact he has no clue whether it is or not. Myself, I would take a Bosch with a finicky guard to deal with over a Dewalt and 20 bucks any day.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That guy really doesn’t like the guard. Probably more because it made him have to reach for his owners manual to figure out how to deal with it, lol!

He seems to imply the ratcheting sound when the wheel is hand turned on the Bosch is a negative when in fact he has no clue whether it is or not. Myself, I would take a Bosch with a finicky guard to deal with over a Dewalt and 20 bucks any day.

I don’t think he was complaining about the sound, he was complaining that one cannot simply loosen the hex screw on the wheel guard a turn or two in order to adjust it’s position like most other out of date grinders do. I think he is saying you must loosen the screw all the way out to adjust the angle of the guard. To me this is a huge problem even an unforgivable design flaw. Most grinders on today’s market has moved to tool free adjustable wheel guards. I understand this is a 2016 version of Bosch design so it’s an oldie, and newer Bosch grinders also have moved to tool free adjustable guards but they are not available in NA because all the reviews and stores I saw offering those are in UK or AU.

To me this is more than just being “finicky” but safety in my way of thinking. Granted, I don’t use a grinder to grind most of the time, I use it to cut, so my use case is probably different. But when you have to use a tool to loosen a guard, and have to back it all the way out to adjust it, vs something easy and tool free, imagine the person doing it in 100 degree heat, in a face up operation cutting ceiling stucco, wearing safety glasses, a face mask, gloves, standing on a ladder, and you just made a cut, now you need to cut in the other direction and want to adjust the guard, you reach for a tool to loosen it, and the tool drops down the ladder because you have a gloved hand full of sweat, or you loosened the screw but it’s not enough, it’s real easy to say forget it, I won’t bother adjusting it, I will just hold it slightly different to accommodate, or stand on the ladder a bit different to compensate, and this is when accidents happen. Not saying this is right, but this is what happens.

If the guards are difficult to adjust, then it’s a big let down. It’s not unsolvable, because half the time I will be using this grinder with the GA550DC guard which means the guard that comes with it will be removed. I really like the paddle switch of my corded Dewalt, but it is corded and no DC guard that is my priority.

Just disappointing that there isn’t a single grinder that will allow me to retire all my grinders except one.

Looks like I will buy a Bosch cordless grinder to use with the DC guard, and live with no paddle switch.

When I need to cut a few rebars, or metal angles, or cut the inside corners of cement interior walls where a guard does not help due to limiting depth, I go back to my DeWalt corded that let’s me do wheel guard angle change easy with the paddle switch.

Unless I can find another brand model grinder that provides a good DC guard, easy wheel change, cordless 18V, paddle switch. I don’t think such an animal exists, and I do believe the Bosch DC cutting guard is the best.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.436 seconds