dcsimg

Bosch FNS138-23 23-Gauge 1-3/8-Inch Pin Nailer Review – BTP Review

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Tool Review: Bosch 23g Pin nailer

In the past the only Pin nailer I’ve used has been a portal cable. It was ok for the first 6 month but then started jamming up on me so i decided to buy the Bosch. It came in its own blown plastic case with a 1/4″ quick connect already on the tool and a pair of safety glasses that are actually quite comfortable. It also came with two allen wrenches for working on the tool.

Right off the bat I noticed the weight. It wasn’t too heavy at 2.3lbs which is lighter then some nailers but it just felt “right.” It could be where the weight is or the size of the gun but it was just nice to handle and well made.

One feature which is great is the dry fire lock out. Never again will I make a hole with no nail in it with this gun. It shoots 1/2″ to 1 3/8″ which is perfect for all my needs. I know there are some guns out there that can do 2″ nails but I’m not even sure what i would pin at that length lol.

A small draw back to someone who is buying their first pin nailer would be that it doesn’t come with a sample set of pins. So if this is your first one be sure to buy some before you leave to store or if buying online make sure you order some. Another would be how high the safety trigger sits. It took a little to get use to and was a pain at first but its not that big of a deal.

Ive put roughly 1000 pins through it in the last couple of weeks and not once did one jamb or not set all the way. For that i am very grateful. Its always annoying if your dealing with jambs or a nail not being set. It can ruin a work piece, take so much time that is just wasted ect. I expect all my tools to work flawlessly when I’m at the job site and so far this one has.

I highly recommend this nailer to anyone looking to do finish work where you don’t want to see the nail holes as in pre-finished cabinet crown or stained work, ect. It is also great for doing trim returns as the nails are thin enough to not split the wood and the holding power of these 23g nails are quite impressive.

What are you waiting for? Go buy one!

Attachments:
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice review Thanks, That safety trigger doesn’t look too unhandy. And the anti dry fire thing is great, I hate dry fires. I really should get one of these

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Nice review Thanks, That safety trigger doesn’t look too unhandy. And the anti dry fire thing is great, I hate dry fires. I really should get one of these

Indeed you should. It’s a great nailer.

@NJbuilder – glad to see you continuing to do more tool reviews. The 23ga nailer is a great tool – I do not use it often (insert Dabbs joke here), but when I do it is perfect for hiding the pins or temporarily holding something together

John S

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

@NJbuilder – glad to see you continuing to do more tool reviews. The 23ga nailer is a great tool – I do not use it often (insert Dabbs joke here), but when I do it is perfect for hiding the pins or temporarily holding something together

I’m going to write the 18g on today while I’m laid up. Also only on a concrete bit i use for drilling into deck footings. seems being hurt allows me to write some things lol

seems being hurt allows me to write some things lol

haha well I am sorry to hear you are hurt – get some rest! But it is good that we get to benefit from your reviews while you are recovering 🙂

John S

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

seems being hurt allows me to write some things lol

haha well I am sorry to hear you are hurt – get some rest! But it is good that we get to benefit from your reviews while you are recovering :)

Need to find the positive, even in the negatives lol

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

size wise how does this compare to the porter cable?

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

Thanks for a great review. I currently have a 16g nailer and an 18g brad nailer. A pinner is on my current want list and this review has been helpful in considering the Bosch as one of my options.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Nice read, thank you. Does the air connection swivel on that model?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I also love this pinner. I use it ALL the time. Only had a couple pins not seat but other then that it has been flawless. Much nicer then my PC 18g nailer.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

staker
    Pro

Thanks for the great review.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Great review thanks

Rovik
    Pro

Thanks for the review. I want this nailer, but what kind of brand do you guys use on the pin nails?

Norway

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great review NJBuilder, Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

Thanks for the review. I may have one of these nailers in my future.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m a fan of this pinner as well. I have a 2″ Senco also and I never use it because of the size. The Bosch is perfect!

It is amazing what such a small tool can do.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have the PC, the 2″ Senco and now the Bosch. I have not taken the Bosch out of the case yet, but after the reviews, I am looking forward to trying it out. I really like using pins whenever possible as they leave such a small hole they are barely visible. I am amazed more people don’t use them.

Thanks for the review. I want this nailer, but what kind of brand do you guys use on the pin nails?

I bought a variety pack of Grex nails to see how they would perform before getting bulk of anything and have been quite happy with them. I have shot maybe 100 from the pack – different sizes – and haven’t had a jam yet.

http://grexusa.com/grexusa/headless_pins.php5

John S

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

Thanks for the review @NJBuilder

Bert

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.478 seconds