dcsimg

Bosch Dust Extractor – lets talk

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 798 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Kind of an odd question, but has any one ever seen a power head for a shopvac/dust extractor??

I’ve thought about this further and you’ve actually given me an idea Brad should I ever really need it down the road.

When we moved into our house 15 years ago, it had a central vac and non powered hoses and also one of those air run brush roller heads which I had mentioned earlier in this thread was useless and quickly was booked on an all expenses paid one way trip to Landfill Ontario.

I got a vacuum repair store to jury rig another powered hose to attach to my electrolux wand stem and powerhead. Basically, there’s a small proprietor plug at the intake end of the powered hose, that I would plug into my wand that would power the powerhead, and the end of the hose that goes into the air intake at the wall would have a normal electrical plug that I would plug into an electrical outlet nearby.

We don’t use our central any longer except to use the floor sweep traps, but I did keep all the hoses and especially the Electrolux wand and powerhead even though the cannister it originally belonged to has long since bitten the dust. (Ooops, an unintentional pun. 😉 )

If I can find a fitting that can connect standard household vac tubing to the inlet of my CT’s, I’ve got a powerheaded vac should I ever need to use one. Where could I see needing this set up? Not a lot likely. Maybe if I had a situation where there was a corrosive or super fine particulate substance on a carpet en mass, it may be the better solution over using the house vacuum?

So basically, all this long winded blah blah so you know you can get a powerhead for your shop vac, but it would be a DIY improvised type of solution like the one I figure I could do myself with leftover components from older systems I have lying around. Where, or in what application do you see yourself needing such a powerhead Brad – @thedude306 ?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Just to reiterate, you only have to turn the AFC off when you turn your vac on. That’s either in the “ON” position or the “tool activation mode” It stays off in either mode until you turn the knob to turn off the vac, or you unplug the vacuum. It then defaults to “ON” when you turn the vac knob back to on for either mode.

It does not come on after each time your tool turns the vac on and off with the tool activation mode (unless of course you leave the AFC on)

Clear as mud?

I personally think the AFC PITA is worth it to get the power broker function.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Where, or in what application do you see yourself needing such a powerhead Brad

Things like doing a dry wall repair and you need to give the carpet a quick going over. It would be more onsite or in the house thing. Not very often as I do lay down dust sheets ect but there is always a bit of a clean up and there are times a powerhead would be nice.

Brad T

We have an air bypass powerhead with one of our Hepa vacs. Basically as the air rushes by the head from the vacuum it turns the brushes. It works pretty well. I know Festool has one too.

Here is one by Miele. A google search shows quite a few options out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-STB-205-2-Air-Driven-Turbobrush-Brand-New-/231750888367?hash=item35f56debaf:g:lSAAAOSwLzdWRP0q

@thedude306

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

woodman_412

Just to reiterate, you only have to turn the AFC off when you turn your vac on. That’s either in the “ON” position or the “tool activation mode” It stays off in either mode until you turn the knob to turn off the vac, or you unplug the vacuum. It then defaults to “ON” when you turn the vac knob back to on for either mode.

It does not come on after each time your tool turns the vac on and off with the tool activation mode (unless of course you leave the AFC on)

Clear as mud?

That’s interesting to know Brad. I always thought that the auto models had the same manual off switch that the semi auto models have. My semi auto has a slide switch on the side that turns the filter cleaning on or off and it stays on that setting until you move it.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

Clear as mud?

I think I know how it works now which if I understand what you are saying works in this fashion.

Plug vac into wall. Plug tool into vac. Switch set to power tool activated on. Start using tool. AFC cycles every 15 seconds. Stop using tool. Depress AFC button. Start using tool again. Vac comes on but AFC does not cycle at all. Stop using tool and restart using. AFC still does not come on. Unplug tool from vac to use another tool. Start using other tool. AFC still does not come on. Stop using tool. Unplug vac from wall to move to another location. Restart using tool. AFC now comes on. Stop using tool. Unplug tool entirely. Set switch to ON and use vac hose with wand to sweep floor. AFC turns on. While vacuum still running, depress AFC button. AFC no longer cycles. Turn ON swith to OFF. Now turn it back to ON. Does the AFC come on then?

Can’t believe I just wrote all that.lol!

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Turn ON swith to OFF. Now turn it back to ON. Does the AFC come on then?

YES.

I’m glad you wrote it all! (and not me) 😉

Brad T

Doobie

Turn ON swith to OFF. Now turn it back to ON. Does the AFC come on then?

YES.

I’m glad you wrote it all! (and not me) 😉

Now I understand exactly how it functions. Thanks for your reiteration of how it works Brad. I actually didn’t have it right in my understanding until you explained it.

Think my example covered all scenarios of usage and how the unit functions in regards to the AFC function. I assume I got that whole sequence correct other than the very last step which you gave me the outcome I was not sure of?

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Clear as mud?

now that statement makes everything clear 😀
    i think i would go for the VAC090A instead of the 14gal model because i would like to run a dust cyclone with it.

back to the semi auto extractor; do they have a button on the side of the machine to turn on the filter cleaning or just at the end of the hose?!
    does anybody knows that?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

woodman_412

back to the semi auto extractor; do they have a button on the side of the machine to turn on the filter cleaning or just at the end of the hose?!
    does anybody knows that?

There is a switch on the side of my semi auto model that turns the filter cleaning capability on and off. Either blocking the suction on the end of the hose or pressing the button on the hose will activate a filter clean cycle. I’ve had the filter cleaning shut off since I got the vac since I find when you use bags the filter stays clean anyway.

Dan

danpattison.com

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

just found a picture from a semi auto dust extractor

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I wonder if the auto on function has something to do with the HEPA certification for Europe?

Brad T

Anonymous
    Inactive

Clear as mud?

I think I know how it works now which if I understand what you are saying works in this fashion.

Plug vac into wall. Plug tool into vac. Switch set to power tool activated on. Start using tool. AFC cycles every 15 seconds. Stop using tool. Depress AFC button. Start using tool again. Vac comes on but AFC does not cycle at all. Stop using tool and restart using. AFC still does not come on. Unplug tool from vac to use another tool. Start using other tool. AFC still does not come on. Stop using tool. Unplug vac from wall to move to another location. Restart using tool. AFC now comes on. Stop using tool. Unplug tool entirely. Set switch to ON and use vac hose with wand to sweep floor. AFC turns on. While vacuum still running, depress AFC button. AFC no longer cycles. Turn ON swith to OFF. Now turn it back to ON. Does the AFC come on then?

Holy crap!! I’ll have an opinion when I read that 13 more times

Doobie

does anybody knows that?

There is a switch on the side of my semi auto model that turns the filter cleaning capability on and off. Either blocking the suction on the end of the hose or pressing the button on the hose will activate a filter clean cycle. I’ve had the filter cleaning shut off since I got the vac since I find when you use bags the filter stays clean anyway.

I was wondering about that as well in regards to the hose. I read it in the OM, but I didn’t quite understand it. I would think then the hose on a semi is different than the one for an auto model?

I wonder if the auto on function has something to do with the HEPA certification for Europe?

What do you mean? That they won’t Hepa certify them in Europe, or that because they don’t come with a Hepa filter?

Festools CT36 AC is also sold without a Hepa filter, but their other non autoclean models all come now with Hepa filters and certification. You can outfit their CT36AC with a Hepa filter, but they advise not to use the autoclean function if you do so.

I in fact did that with mine and have the bags inside it. I tape off the auto clean swith with blue painters tape when I have it set up that way so I don’t accidentally turn on the autoclean function.

The auto clean is too much on the Hepa filters. I believe I read the same advisory for the Bosch vacs if you throw their Hepa filters in one of theirs.

woodman_412

I don’t bother having the part of the hose assembly attached on mine with the filter clean button. Since I never use the filter clean I didn’t figure it was worth having on there.

Dan

danpattison.com

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

We have an air bypass powerhead with one of our Hepa vacs. Basically as the air rushes by the head from the vacuum it turns the brushes. It works pretty well. I know Festool has one too.

Here is one by Miele. A google search shows quite a few options out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-STB-205-2-Air-Driven-Turbobrush-Brand-New-/231750888367?hash=item35f56debaf:g:lSAAAOSwLzdWRP0q

@thedude306

Dyson has a air driven brush head also.

Clear as mud?

Holy crap!! I’ll have an opinion when I read that 13 more times

Doobie, can you repeat that? LOL Clear as mud now, well clearer. ThanX for the explanation.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

so basically we want the one without the auto clean is what I am getting from all your comments.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

What do you mean? That they won’t Hepa certify them in Europe, or that because they don’t come with a Hepa filter?

Ahh… I just had a brain fart and thought the AFC was a function of the HEPA certification but you are right, they don’t even want you to use it with the filter.

hmmmm Still not sure why it defaults “ON”

Brad T

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

The auto clean is too much on the Hepa filters. I believe I read the same advisory for the Bosch vacs if you throw their Hepa filters in one of theirs.

yes the AFC will detroy the HEPA Filter. AFC has to be OFF

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

what i noticed too; the Semi Extractors dont have the Power Broker dial.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 798 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.948 seconds