dcsimg

Bosch Dust Extractor – lets talk

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 798 total)
  • Author
    madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

That’s a good question. I was thinking in that case you’d put another container inside the LBoxx-4 that would have sealing on the top lip, so through the area where the hole penetrates the lid would be a lid with weather sealing, so on closure of the box it’ll seal against the inner container (Instead of the more complex structure of the LBoxx lid with hinges) and the vacuum will draw the seals down tighter.

thats a great idea actually. are you gonna try it out?
    even Montreal’s idea is good, that you dont waste and lboxx for it.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

Festool has a Dust Deputy integrated on to a systainer for their vacs. It clips right on the of the vac like the L-Boxx also.

Very aware of that. Still have no interest in it.

I would sooner get a long life bag over a dust deputy, and even then, you can buy a lot of bags for the cost of either and have the compactness of not having your vac have the Chiquita Banana/Aliens head gear look and be able to deal with my waste a lot quicker and less messily just tossing a bag that allows you to pack til it’s hard like a brick. Just makes more sense to me. Besides, isn’t there special grounding you need to do on your own with the DD setup?

I really don’t get wanting to not buy bags for vacs. Most quality vacs are not cheap. People shouldn’t be buying them if they don’t want to buy the consumables. They’re designed for this convenience. Save your money and wear earplugs and use a screamer shopvac instead.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Festool has a Dust Deputy integrated on to a systainer for their vacs. It clips right on the of the vac like the L-Boxx also.

I would sooner get a long life bag over a dust deputy, and even then, you can buy a lot of bags for the cost of either and have the compactness of not having your vac have the Chiquita Banana/Aliens head gear look and be able to deal with my waste a lot quicker and less messily just tossing a bag that allows you to pack til it’s hard like a brick. Just makes more sense to me. Besides, isn’t there special grounding you need to do on your own with the DD setup?

I really don’t get wanting to not buy bags for vacs. Most quality vacs are not cheap. People shouldn’t be buying them if they don’t want to buy the consumables. They’re designed for this convenience. Save your money and wear earplugs and use a screamer shopvac instead.

I prefer it as it makes it easier and faster for me to dump the dust in the bucket over unclipping and taking the bag out. I can’t be bothered running around looking for replacement bags either. It was the reason why I went with dyson vs a bagged vacuum.

Doobie

I can’t be bothered running around looking for replacement bags either. It was the reason why I went with dyson vs a bagged vacuum.

I went looking for a new vacuum early in 2014. Dyson got ruled out pretty quick despite my wife’s initial enchantment with them when we were in a Sears one day. They just seem so cheaply made, almost designed as a disposable item imo. I came to believe there is a lot of marketing and gimmickery with Dyson. Besides, I don’t like dealing with a non-bag type of vac.

While I wanted to replace our 30 year old old Electrolux cannister vac with another Electrolux, I discovered that Electrolux went belly up years ago and the brand was bought out and is making crappy vacs now in China, so they got ruled out. We do have a central vac in the house, but my wife hates dragging around the hose. We only use it for floor sweep traps we have where we have hard flooring on occasion.

I did try a German made Sebo D4 based on reading reviews and the endorsement of another person, but my wife hated it, and we had some very early quality control issues with it. It was returned to where we bought it, McHardy’s, and we bought this one made by Miele linked below.

http://www.mchardyvac.com/miele-complete-c3-powerplus-canister-vacuum-cleaner/

I did an online review. Review #4 – Kevin April2014 is ours.

Btw, if you are Canadian and want to deal with a top notch vaccuum retailer/outfit, McHardy’s in London Ontario is the place. I dealt with them by phone and online only as they are 2 hours away and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Their money back + 10% refund policy is something they honor and they do it outside their said 30 day window. Can’t say enough good things about dealing with them. They really take care of you.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Kind of an odd question, but has any one ever seen a power head for a shopvac/dust extractor??

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ThanX for the link @Doobie,
    You surely can not go wrong with a Miele. I have do have a Dyson and it has been great but I do know where you are coming from and saying they are cheaply build or seem to be.
    I need to one day upgrade my central vac, though.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did yous see Jim just added the VAC090S to the list WooHoo, 295,000 piggy

Doobie

Kind of an odd question, but has any one ever seen a power head for a shopvac/dust extractor??

No. But I think I did see air run roller brush type heads. I think it was Festool in fact.

We had one of those air run roller heads on our central vac when we moved into our house which I quickly replaced. Thought it was junk. You need a motor to deal with pile efficiently.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Did yous see Jim just added the VAC090S to the list WooHoo, 295,000 piggy

great addition to the rewards list. The VAC090A would be my goal tho.
    the VAC140A would be to big for my needs but the smaller version would be ideal.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

@Doobie

I personally own three Sebos (All of them are second hand: X4, 370 Comfort, C3.1) and I run them with synthetic bags myself. Those vacuums are for domestic use at home and they never encounter wood dust unlike the ShopVac (Which has a synthetic bag from another vacuum company inside of it and a Cleanstream filter. The bag is there to extend the life of the filter.) I have hooked up on the mini cyclone that I run with power tools. Drywall dust is incredibly abrasive and effectively trashes any non bypass vacuum motor. Wood dust I actually can use to clean up glue squeeze out.

Doobie

@Doobie
    I personally own three Sebos (All of them are second hand: X4, 370 Comfort, C3.1) and I run them with synthetic bags myself. Those vacuums are for domestic use at home and they never encounter wood dust unlike the ShopVac (Which has a synthetic bag from another vacuum company inside of it and a Cleanstream filter. The bag is there to extend the life of the filter.) I have hooked up on the mini cyclone that I run with power tools. Drywall dust is incredibly abrasive and effectively trashes any non bypass vacuum motor. Wood dust I actually can use to clean up glue squeeze out.

I was discussing our experience with our household vacuum, not for the shop. I would never use a household vac in the shop.

For drywall, I use a Festool CT36AC.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

i did use an old house vac with my table saw when i first started woodworking and doing stuff around the house. but not for that long haha.
    i upgrade after couple weeks to a ridgid 14gal shop vac.
    but running the table saw with a house vac was better than having nothing

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Apologizes on my part, I thought that was in reference to using non household vacuums and a cyclone hookup.

@madman_us

When I get a Bosch vacuum (A bit far for me @ $600 and with only 34k points) you’re probably going to see me try to set something up so I don’t have to deal with the lid on a 5 gallon bucket and I can access whatever’s inside esaier.

The internal container idea was so I could still use the LBoxx4 as a container (With relatively limited space after the other container goes inside) to store some of the tools. Now I’m reconsidering that idea in replacing it with a L-Rack-S piece where the dust container will sit on that and have the L-Rack-T on the lid.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I think the L-boxx would seal with little work. My Dust deputy is far from air tight. It’s just a snap on lid and nothing special.

I think a garabage bag in an L-4 with a cyclone on the lid would be the way to go.

don’t forget to email Oneida!!

Brad T

@thedude306

You can get a central vacuum type power head where they have a power switch on the wand or head itself and replace the cord end with a standard plug and plug it into your dust extractor after wrapping it around the tube. Kind of improvised but more or less that’s what canisters are in configuration. Some canister vacuums sold without power heads have a power take off kind of arrangement where they just supply 110V via a port near the inlet since they don’t have a hose with integral power cable. Usually you just velcro the power cable onto the hose and run it to the power head.

From my understanding most of the canister vacuum heads work on the same electrical voltage as the canister itself. My Sebo C3.1’s power head is also sold as a central vacuum head and the major difference is that they’re sold with a different wand and different lead that connects to the wand.

As for the LBoxx-4 I was thinking you could have a secondary container inside that you could just lift out, close the lid and then dump it out before putting it back in the LBoxx and closing the lid. That way you don’t have to carry the entire cyclone assembly and the LBoxx. The Mini CV06 I have is fairly heavy and that’s why I considered the LBoxx-4 option at first. A plastic bag seems like a good option, but I don’t know if it’ll do anything when you cover the intake for the hose connected to the cyclone (Like suck back up into the cyclone) from leaking into the LBoxx (Some of the dust collector proper setups have that problem where the container has a pressure difference versus the bag inside where the cyclone dumps into)

woodman_412

Brad I do have a hand held power head that is powered by the air passing through it. It spins pretty fast when I have it hooked up to my Bosch extractor. I’ll try and remember to post a pic later.

Dan

danpattison.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

ThanX for the link @Doobie,
    You surely can not go wrong with a Miele. I have do have a Dyson and it has been great but I do know where you are coming from and saying they are cheaply build or seem to be.
    I need to one day upgrade my central vac, though.

I have to agree the dyson has worked fine but it does feel cheap in the hand. Now that I know its all about the cyclonic action, i’ll just get a dust deputy stuck to the front of it lol. The miele seems like the way to go and I have heard bagged is really good but I can’t be bothered looking for bags.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

our dyson has been great. It’s going over 10 years and we had the same concerns about build quality. We won it at golf tournament. We also have a miele but the dyson gets used more often (it’s an upright vs the canister). They both suck.

Thanks for the info on the heads. I do have power right at the hose so adapting something to work should be pretty easy. I’ve never seen those air powered units but I suspect after some googlefooo last night that they use up some suction power.

Brad T

Doobie

This is a quote from another thread where the discussion veered into what is the distinction of the two semi and auto type of models. Thought it would be useful to cross post it here as well.

I haven’t done my homework and don’t know the differences of these two new vacs on the list, Other than 9 and 14 gallon. does the 9 have the clips on top for an Lbox? Are the amps/cfm the same? And are the footprints the same? I see semi vs auto, Not sure which one of those I’d prefer yet either

@Dabbs,
    Looks like the main diff is 9Gal to 14Gal.
    The front casters on the 14 protrude out a bit further and appear to be the same as the ones on the L-DOLLY.
    The top also has the L-BOXX Integration.
    Both have 150 CFM

The real major distinction imo, is one is auto clean, and the other is semi-auto clean. Very different functional differences between the two types.

Auto clean filter activates every 15 seconds in use unless you depress a deactivation button to NOT do such everytime you turn on the vac. For most usage, it is not necessary to have the auto clean constantly cycling every 15 seconds and having to deactivate manually what is the units default setting each time you use it is likely a nuissance to most users.

The semi-auto model only activates its auto clean action when you activate it to do so manually. Manual activation is done either at the wand handle, or via a red slider switch at the side of the canister unit. It can also be achieved by total blockage of the suction as well.

The auto clean model auto cleans and still keeps continuous suction while doing so. The semi models stop suction while doing their filter cleaning function.

The other difference between the two is the auto clean models have a ‘Power Broker’ dial whereas the semi models do not. The PB dial is basically a manual power to suction trade off device. In having a high amperage tool plugged into the unit and having the unit running at optimal suction could cause the electrical breaker to trip, this dial allows you to lower the running speed on the vacs motor and in turn allow less overall amps to be needed to run the vac and the tool in tandem and avoid the breaker tripping. Of course in turning down the power of the vac motor it will decrease the suction.

Doobie

Another useful tidbit originally posted in the New Bosch Tools Added thread where it really belongs in this thread.

Sounds like there really isn’t any down side to auto clean though.

Well there is kinda. Unlike most high end vacs that are tool activated and offer the convenience of not having to reach over each time you want to turn your vac on or off each time your tool is used, having to disable the auto clean each time if either the noise bothers you, or if you are using bags which they say should not have the auto clean enabled if you do, necessitates having to reach over to press the button to disable.

It somewhat largely boils down to this. If you are apt to mostly use bags, get the semi. If you are likely rarely ever to use bags, get the auto model.

But there’s another potential nuance to mention that may for some come into play. You are not supposed to use the filter cleaning feature on either vac if you have replaced the supplied filter with the optional Hepa filter IIRC from reading the owner’s manual a couple of days ago. If you are apt to go with a Hepa for better dust mitigation, you would likely prefer to have a semi model I would think.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 798 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.968 seconds