dcsimg

Bosch Dust Extractor – lets talk

Viewing 20 posts - 761 through 780 (of 798 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I went and fiddled with the new L-Boxx again. This is what I discovered this time around. While it definitely does not allow any type of single clasp disengagement to unlock two L-Boxxes from each other necessitating both clasps needing to be unlocked using two hands as previously mentioned, it does now allow users to open the newer type of L-Boxx I just recived with my vac kit with an existing L-Boxx attached on top.

Basically, where the older style had it’s clasping harness built into the wall frame part of the L-Boxx, this newer type has the harness built as part of the lid allowing one to open this newer style with a box affixed on top. But that’s it other than minor cosmetic tweaks to this newer style of L-Boxx.

I had thought the newer L-Boxxes were to offer a single clasp type of mechanism to disengage like Systainers went to years ago. Unless this is not the new LB4 and just an update of the old L-Boxx in the interim pending a single release model down the road, I don’t know what to call this type of L-Boxx.

Is this in fact the LB4 and some may have been mistaken in talking about its anticipated features months ago that supposedly was to have an improved release mechanism in some manner? I don’t know. This boxx certainly doesn’t offer anything of that nature. Just the luxury of being able to access lower stacked and connected boxes without unclasping them. Frankly, having been on the Systainer/Tanos platform for 10 years, that has never been a selling feature to me and I never use it as such.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

can you take a picture of the clasps from the new lboxx? from the side and the bottom

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Check out the YouTube video on that new one hand unlocking mechanism
    I think you just push one side, then lift that same side?

Doobie

can you take a picture of the clasps from the new lboxx? from the side and the bottom

Here ya go. First few are of an older L-Boxx, the others are of the new one. The last one last the new boxx on top with one side disengaged and tilted up and it still won’t allow the other side to slide away without actually engaging the clasp itself on that still engaged side.

Can you find that video Brian? I’d like to see it.

@boschmanbrian

@madman_us

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That system would be very useful for a amputee that only has one hand to work with..

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

So you can’t dislodge the new LB4 one-handed from the older style lboxx because the mount is build different from the newer style. the little platic piece slides into the groove/hole and prevents it from dislodging sideways.
    you can dislodge an lboxx from oen-handed when it’s stacked on a new LB4 lboxx

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

That system would be very useful for a amputee that only has one hand to work with..

True, or anyone with a disability with either hands, just like my friend who is a plumber, at times he struggles, but still is a great plumber.

Doobie

So you can’t dislodge the new LB4 one-handed from the older style lboxx because the mount is build different from the newer style. the little platic piece slides into the groove/hole and prevents it from dislodging sideways.

Lemme see if I can do that. Thought I had tried that configuration also of having an old on top of the new style but it worked no different, but maybe not.

Kamster
    Pro

Two videos showing the new style L-Boxx

This one is in German (you’ll need to turn captioning on)

Two videos showing the new style L-Boxx

This one is in German (you’ll need to turn captioning on)

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/mp6BdHMwyXU?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    <figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/3mU7iihOvb0?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Thanks, that’s the first I was referring to, the first one

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Lemme see if I can do that. Thought I had tried that configuration also of having an old on top of the new style but it worked no different, but maybe not.

I am pretty sure that will solve the mystery 😛
    It’s the lid from the new LB4 style that you can take the lboxx’s apart with just one hand.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Am I seeing that right. The new L-Boxx looks slightly bigger?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Kevin, do you have time to write a comparison of your Festool vacs versus your new Bosch? I’ve been sitting on the fence forever about which brand to go with…

Here goes….

The Bosch vacs do not come with an anti-static hose, the auto or semi models each have their issue with the whole auto clean mode versus my CT36AC which is a much better setup to deal with imo, but if you’ve never owned and regularly used a Festool vac, this may not bother you. Some folks in the past have also reported issues with their Bosch vacs failing early on.

While the auto clean model has the Power Broker dial, all Festool vacs have this built in more or less. One thing the Bosch has over the Festools is suction power. It is higher than my Festool vacs at its maximum than the Festool vacs, but I’ve never felt my Festools were lacking in any way in this regard anyways.

I’ve had a CT22 for almost 10 years, the CT36AC for about 5 years now, and more recently the CT-SYS little portable one. I simply got the Bosch vac as I’ve run out of things to get from the list; it was free essentially (other than the $400-$500 in accessories I just bought for it….Doh!); and I wanted a vac dedicated to reno work that was tallish with that carry handle of the 14 gallon model that I won’t overly care if the vac does get beat up in a construction/reno setting than my Festool vacs sitting comfortably in my shop. My two main Festool vacs more or less have dedicated homes in my shop, so this kinda solved a problem for me with not having to drag them out at times when needed to do on site work outside my shop.

One area that is personal choice though, is whether you plan on using bags or not. Other than silica/drywall/concrete dust applications where I just use a plastic liner with my CT36AC or now I would do similar with the Bosch vac, I have used bags all the time. Both brands can work without bags, but I just like bags. It makes life so much easier imo and I don’t mind the cost of them. People who are deadset against using bags also don’t factor in that the filters will wear out faster, especially if you are using the much more costly HEPA filters, there’s some cost savings trade off that is hard to judge exactly what is the trade off, but I know it is there. I’ll be using exclusively the Bosch fleece bags with mine although I do use the paper ones with my Festool vacs, the 14 Gallon bags would be very prone to ripping trying to remove as per is advised in the Bosch vacs owner’s manual.

If you ever have a bag that gets totally filled like I have with my Festool vacs once in a while, they pack hard and solid like a rock and even what starts happening is the debris starts to fill the hose. Once the debris fills the hose for a few feet, that’s when you really would start to notice the suction dropping. You pull a bag out like that, it’s tight in that bag well and once out, it’s more or less a solid block.

What I will say thus far on a more positive note about the Bosch vac, and keep in mind I’ve only really used it once so far, It is well made. You can tell it is not some cheap plastic they are using and the motor sounds real healthy. The wheels on it are real nice, although I felt with an L-Boxx 4 affixed on top with my vac accesories in it, it was very tippy going over uneven ground. I’ll need to try it out without the L-Boxx 4 on it to really pass judgement as to whether it is still tippy over the grass like this, but I haven’t done that yet. I just really like that unlike my Festool vacs I don’t have to squat and drag it along. I know there are handles you can get for the Festool vacs to make them easier to drag around, but because of where I keep my Festools in my shop, I didn’t want the handles on them.

Another nice feature of the Bosch vac is the on board ‘surround’ hose storage. This is easier to wrap up your hose than the top cavity hose storage way of the Festools, although it is a little tricky getting the little bungie straps hooked up if you have an L-Boxx fastened to the top, but not a hair puller sort of issue.

Hope this helps @kamster. FWIW to ya…..good luck with your decision and lemme know if you want to know anything else.

Very nice write up. I didn’t much about these vacs until I read this.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

I am pretty sure that will solve the mystery 😛
    It’s the lid from the new LB4 style that you can take the lboxx’s apart with just one hand.

Yes, but not like I had understood myself. I thought there was a single type mechanism like the triangular turn knob on a Systainer that would disengage both side clasps simultaneously. Obviously not.

It’s simple now only requiring one latch to be disengaged after which one can just slide the removing boxx sideways to remove from the other side’s hold-down harness rather than have to depress the release itself on that side.

While this is an improvement, it is still not nearly as nice as the Systainer latching system and what I myself had previously thought this redesign encompassed. A marginal improvement versus what I had hoped was a major one for the L-Boxx/Sortimo series. Whoop-tee-doo!

Doobie

So to answer this one, I did go and retry this. You can indeed dislodge an older L-Boxx on top of the new LB series by just unclasping one side clamp, lifting up that unclasped side slightly, and sliding it sideway away from the other side’s locking harness without having to touch that side’s mechanism’s release, but you can’t unlock in this fashion an LB on top of the older L-Boxx.

Or is it the other way around? …shoot…. I can’t remember for sure what I just did now after walking out in the rain to the shed where I tried this and I’m not gearing up again right now to do this….Doh! I ‘think’ I’ve got it right….Lol!

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

So to answer this one, I did go and retry this. You can indeed dislodge an older L-Boxx on top of the new LB series by just unclasping one side clamp, lifting up that unclasped side slightly, and sliding it sideway away from the other side’s locking harness without having to touch that side’s mechanism’s release, but you can’t unlock in this fashion an LB on top of the older L-Boxx.

Of course not because the older lboxx’s are not designed to take them apart sideways. They added this little feature for the LB4 models.
    exactly what I was saying 😛

you definitely can’t compare them with the Systainer’s and how they unlock. It’s a completely different design.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I believe they seem bigger from the outside due to the new design, but they are the same size from the outside.
    in the inside of the lboxx is a bit more room tho because they redesigned it.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

Or is it the other way around? …shoot…. I can’t remember for sure what I just did now after walking out in the rain to the shed where I tried this and I’m not gearing up again right now to do this….Doh! I ‘think’ I’ve got it right….Lol!

OK, I just went back to the shed for something totally unrelated and did check. An old L-Boxx can disengage sideways from the top of the newer LB version.

Here’s another thing I just wanted to add to that in regards to it’s disengagement abilities, an LB cannot disengage sideways off of the vacs. It is no different than an L-Boxx in that regard requiring both clasps being physically disengaged with two hands.

I believe they seem bigger from the outside due to the new design, but they are the same size from the outside.
    in the inside of the lboxx is a bit more room tho because they redesigned it.

That got me thinking about the insert Alex got me from Germany for my half inch sander which is designed for an L-Boxx 3. For reasons of wanting to store my rolls of Abranet sandpaper in it along with the sander, I had to nest the sandpaper rolls first in the bottom and then toss in the insert into an L-Boxx 4. Thinking how the sides are redesigned of the newer LB series, I thought I’d see if now the insert would possibly fit all the way to the bottom of the LB4. Unfortunately, no such luck. It still doesn’t go to the bottom due to the tapered inner walls of either type of Boxx. Oh well….no biggee anyways.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

OK, I just went back to the shed for something totally unrelated and did check. An old L-Boxx can disengage sideways from the top of the newer LB version.

That’s 100% correct 😛
    The other way around does not work due to the old lboxx design.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Lots of good information about the old l boxes and the new l box, plus the vacuum, sad to see that the boxes can’t be removed single handed from the vacuum, oh well, guess I’ll just place my new Bosch vacuum at the curb for garbage pick up

😮
    No frigging way lol

Regardless, some great information for anyone looking to get l boxes or the vacuum.
    Thanks guys.

Viewing 20 posts - 761 through 780 (of 798 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.195 seconds