dcsimg

Bosch Dust Extractor – lets talk

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 798 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

well, I just received it. It does not come with the euro single lever release style LB4. It is simply a newer version of the older style

that is the new lboxx style, the lboxx4 LB4.

I thought the LB4 was to have a single lever release mechanism. This does not. You are still having to disengage both side latches seperately using both hands. The only diff with this Boxx and all my other older ones are some minor body profile changes.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

well, I just received it. It does not come with the euro single lever release style LB4. It is simply a newer version of the older style

I thought the LB4 was to have a single lever release mechanism. This does not. You are still having to disengage both side latches seperately using both hands. The only diff with this Boxx and all my other older ones are some minor body profile changes.

ya you suppose to use one red lever and slide the lboxx sideways so it will dislodge on the other side.
    that does not work?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

my upper shed’s storage loft

How big is the loft area?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

ya you suppose to use one red lever and slide the lboxx sideways so it will dislodge on the other side.
    that does not work?

So if it’s the new one, can he tilt the top even when another l box is attached to the bottom new one?

Doobie

that does not work?

Oh…I didn’t realize that was how it was to function as the improved release feature. I’ll give that a try later sometime.

So if it’s the new one, can he tilt the top even when another l box is attached to the bottom new one?

I’ll see about that too.

Doobie

10X20, but the wall height is only 4 feet high.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Oh…I didn’t realize that was how it was to function as the improved release feature. I’ll give that a try later sometime.

unless they changed something in the last minute for the size of the lboxx4, but I highly doubt that. report later when you checked it out.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s a nice size loft.. Lots of storage.

Dirty

Doobie

That’s a nice size loft.. Lots of storage.

That was the whole purpose of it. It really has already made a huge difference for us. I’ve most of what can go in plactic bins that are stacked on to dollies. I actually just bpught another six small dollies on sale yesterday at Princess auto for it. There’s already about a dozen dollies in use up there already. Makes diggin out stuff a lot easier.

Next move is to get a bunch of boards up there on the lumber rack I just installed after having reorganized things a bit better up there.

It was a lot more work than I anticipated in building the upper area adding this upper storage loft to the shed, but it was worth it imo. It’s like having a second shed without eating up backyard real estate. While it cost me a marginal amount in more building materials, it was the added time that was the real price paid for which I’m now greatful I was willing to spend my time at.

Doobie

unless they changed something in the last minute for the size of the lboxx4, but I highly doubt that. report later when you checked it out.

Just tried it. Nope, you definitely need to disengage both side clasp mechanisms to remove this newer version of what is obviously just the old L-Boxx with some minor cosmetic changes to it and not the anticipated newer LB series.

Kamster
    Pro

Kevin, do you have time to write a comparison of your Festool vacs versus your new Bosch? I’ve been sitting on the fence forever about which brand to go with…

Doobie

Kevin, do you have time to write a comparison of your Festool vacs versus your new Bosch? I’ve been sitting on the fence forever about which brand to go with…

Here goes….

The Bosch vacs do not come with an anti-static hose, the auto or semi models each have their issue with the whole auto clean mode versus my CT36AC which is a much better setup to deal with imo, but if you’ve never owned and regularly used a Festool vac, this may not bother you. Some folks in the past have also reported issues with their Bosch vacs failing early on.

While the auto clean model has the Power Broker dial, all Festool vacs have this built in more or less. One thing the Bosch has over the Festools is suction power. It is higher than my Festool vacs at its maximum than the Festool vacs, but I’ve never felt my Festools were lacking in any way in this regard anyways.

I’ve had a CT22 for almost 10 years, the CT36AC for about 5 years now, and more recently the CT-SYS little portable one. I simply got the Bosch vac as I’ve run out of things to get from the list; it was free essentially (other than the $400-$500 in accessories I just bought for it….Doh!); and I wanted a vac dedicated to reno work that was tallish with that carry handle of the 14 gallon model that I won’t overly care if the vac does get beat up in a construction/reno setting than my Festool vacs sitting comfortably in my shop. My two main Festool vacs more or less have dedicated homes in my shop, so this kinda solved a problem for me with not having to drag them out at times when needed to do on site work outside my shop.

One area that is personal choice though, is whether you plan on using bags or not. Other than silica/drywall/concrete dust applications where I just use a plastic liner with my CT36AC or now I would do similar with the Bosch vac, I have used bags all the time. Both brands can work without bags, but I just like bags. It makes life so much easier imo and I don’t mind the cost of them. People who are deadset against using bags also don’t factor in that the filters will wear out faster, especially if you are using the much more costly HEPA filters, there’s some cost savings trade off that is hard to judge exactly what is the trade off, but I know it is there. I’ll be using exclusively the Bosch fleece bags with mine although I do use the paper ones with my Festool vacs, the 14 Gallon bags would be very prone to ripping trying to remove as per is advised in the Bosch vacs owner’s manual.

If you ever have a bag that gets totally filled like I have with my Festool vacs once in a while, they pack hard and solid like a rock and even what starts happening is the debris starts to fill the hose. Once the debris fills the hose for a few feet, that’s when you really would start to notice the suction dropping. You pull a bag out like that, it’s tight in that bag well and once out, it’s more or less a solid block.

What I will say thus far on a more positive note about the Bosch vac, and keep in mind I’ve only really used it once so far, It is well made. You can tell it is not some cheap plastic they are using and the motor sounds real healthy. The wheels on it are real nice, although I felt with an L-Boxx 4 affixed on top with my vac accesories in it, it was very tippy going over uneven ground. I’ll need to try it out without the L-Boxx 4 on it to really pass judgement as to whether it is still tippy over the grass like this, but I haven’t done that yet. I just really like that unlike my Festool vacs I don’t have to squat and drag it along. I know there are handles you can get for the Festool vacs to make them easier to drag around, but because of where I keep my Festools in my shop, I didn’t want the handles on them.

Another nice feature of the Bosch vac is the on board ‘surround’ hose storage. This is easier to wrap up your hose than the top cavity hose storage way of the Festools, although it is a little tricky getting the little bungie straps hooked up if you have an L-Boxx fastened to the top, but not a hair puller sort of issue.

Hope this helps @kamster. FWIW to ya…..good luck with your decision and lemme know if you want to know anything else.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

It was a lot more work than I anticipated in building the upper area adding this upper storage loft to the shed, but it was worth it imo. It’s like having a second shed without eating up backyard real estate. While it cost me a marginal amount in more building materials, it was the added time that was the real price paid for which I’m now greatful I was willing to spend my time at.

Sounds to me it was a great ideal. You can never have enough storage. Like you said not eating up back yard real estate.

Kinda wishing I made my walls 8ft instead of 6ft. Maybe if I build another shed I will do something like you did.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That was the whole purpose of it. It really has already made a huge difference for us.

That thing would rent out here for 800$ a month!! No joke.

Dirty

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Just tried it. Nope, you definitely need to disengage both side clasp mechanisms to remove this newer version of what is obviously just the old L-Boxx with some minor cosmetic changes to it and not the anticipated newer LB series.

wow that’s really weird. are you able to take a picture of that?

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

wow that’s really weird. are you able to take a picture of that?

Here’s some I took alongside one of my existing L-Boxx 4s when I first got it.

The new one is the one on top and is consistent with the not so great image of it on the Bosch product page for that vac accessory kit it is sold with.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

when I look at your new lboxx LB4 I don’t see a plastic piece in the middle of the red latches like at the bottom lboxx. I marked it in the picture.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

when I look at your new lboxx LB4 I don’t see a plastic piece in the middle of the red latches like at the bottom lboxx. I marked it in the picture.

Not sure what plastic piece you mean. I see your arrow.

Kamster
    Pro

Here goes….

The Bosch vacs do not come with an anti-static hose, the auto or semi models each have their issue with the whole auto clean mode versus my CT36AC which is a much better setup to deal with imo, but if you’ve never owned and regularly used a Festool vac, this may not bother you. Some folks in the past have also reported issues with their Bosch vacs failing early on.

While the auto clean model has the Power Broker dial, all Festool vacs have this built in more or less. One thing the Bosch has over the Festools is suction power. It is higher than my Festool vacs at its maximum than the Festool vacs, but I’ve never felt my Festools were lacking in any way in this regard anyways.

I’ve had a CT22 for almost 10 years, the CT36AC for about 5 years now, and more recently the CT-SYS little portable one. I simply got the Bosch vac as I’ve run out of things to get from the list; it was free essentially (other than the $400-$500 in accessories I just bought for it….Doh!); and I wanted a vac dedicated to reno work that was tallish with that carry handle of the 14 gallon model that I won’t overly care if the vac does get beat up in a construction/reno setting than my Festool vacs sitting comfortably in my shop. My two main Festool vacs more or less have dedicated homes in my shop, so this kinda solved a problem for me with not having to drag them out at times when needed to do on site work outside my shop.

One area that is personal choice though, is whether you plan on using bags or not. Other than silica/drywall/concrete dust applications where I just use a plastic liner with my CT36AC or now I would do similar with the Bosch vac, I have used bags all the time. Both brands can work without bags, but I just like bags. It makes life so much easier imo and I don’t mind the cost of them. People who are deadset against using bags also don’t factor in that the filters will wear out faster, especially if you are using the much more costly HEPA filters, there’s some cost savings trade off that is hard to judge exactly what is the trade off, but I know it is there. I’ll be using exclusively the Bosch fleece bags with mine although I do use the paper ones with my Festool vacs, the 14 Gallon bags would be very prone to ripping trying to remove as per is advised in the Bosch vacs owner’s manual.

If you ever have a bag that gets totally filled like I have with my Festool vacs once in a while, they pack hard and solid like a rock and even what starts happening is the debris starts to fill the hose. Once the debris fills the hose for a few feet, that’s when you really would start to notice the suction dropping. You pull a bag out like that, it’s tight in that bag well and once out, it’s more or less a solid block.

What I will say thus far on a more positive note about the Bosch vac, and keep in mind I’ve only really used it once so far, It is well made. You can tell it is not some cheap plastic they are using and the motor sounds real healthy. The wheels on it are real nice, although I felt with an L-Boxx 4 affixed on top with my vac accesories in it, it was very tippy going over uneven ground. I’ll need to try it out without the L-Boxx 4 on it to really pass judgement as to whether it is still tippy over the grass like this, but I haven’t done that yet. I just really like that unlike my Festool vacs I don’t have to squat and drag it along. I know there are handles you can get for the Festool vacs to make them easier to drag around, but because of where I keep my Festools in my shop, I didn’t want the handles on them.

Another nice feature of the Bosch vac is the on board ‘surround’ hose storage. This is easier to wrap up your hose than the top cavity hose storage way of the Festools, although it is a little tricky getting the little bungie straps hooked up if you have an L-Boxx fastened to the top, but not a hair puller sort of issue.

Hope this helps @kamster. FWIW to ya…..good luck with your decision and lemme know if you want to know anything else.

Thanks very much for the detailed response. Lee Valley is clearing out all of the discontinued Festool vacs and getting 10% off anything Festool related is worth thinking about. Out here in BC its tough to find a store that has the Bosch in stock to look at. Festool is easy. And when you are spending close to a thousand on a dust extractor you want to make sure that you are getting the one that will meet your needs.

The wheels on the Bosch definitely look like they will stand up to a lot of moving over a long period of time. And I like the more vertical orientation of the Bosch with the handle.

I always use bags with my Shop Vac and Ridgid vacs – I like the fact that I can just pull the bag out, dump it in the garbage and the filter inside the vac is still relatively clean. I don’t mind paying for the bags but I do know that I will have to order all Bosch stuff online so I’ll have to make sure that I have a decent supply on hand. Festool stuff is a 15 minute drive away

Time to do another pros and cons list with the prices written down beside each item. Thanks again, Kevin

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Not sure what plastic piece you mean. I see your arrow.

the bottom lboxx has that little plastic piece (in the red circle)
    so it should dislodge like the other new LB4 lboxxs

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 798 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.040 seconds