dcsimg

Bosch Dust Extractor – lets talk

Viewing 20 posts - 501 through 520 (of 798 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@jponto07
    hey Jon did you already get chance to open the motor housing to check if its possible to change the AFC?

It’s not easily accessible…and I’m not really wanting to tear into the vac! I may at some point, but its work into my satisfaction for now.

Too bad it is not accessible. Hopefully you will find an answer.

I really like the vac as-is actually. I initially thought that the auto clean feature would be annoying, but it’s not too bad. My biggest complaint about that feature is that it defaults back to ON whenever the selector switch is turned..if I go from tool activated to just ON, the AFC seems to reset back to the on default.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@jponto07
    hey Jon did you already get chance to open the motor housing to check if its possible to change the AFC?

It’s not easily accessible…and I’m not really wanting to tear into the vac! I may at some point, but its work into my satisfaction for now.

I really like the vac as-is actually. I initially thought that the auto clean feature would be annoying, but it’s not too bad. My biggest complaint about that feature is that it defaults back to ON whenever the selector switch is turned..if I go from tool activated to just ON, the AFC seems to reset back to the on default.

its kinda of weird why they built it like that. just make one switch capable of leave on auto or manual.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

@jponto07

its kinda of weird why they built it like that. just make one switch capable of leave on auto or manual.

I am pretty sure Bosch had an intention why they build it like that.
    Sure it would have been nice with auto on/off switch.
    Even the european dust extractor are build the same way.
    They have an additional dial for which size hose you use. 15,22 or 35mm

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

@jponto07

You’d likely be voiding the warranty if you went and did any mods to it anyways Jon.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

to anyone…

If you want to use the HEPA filter you have to turn off the AFC.
    We know that by now 😀
    But as soon as you turn on the auto model, the filter cleaning cycle kicks in right? so you don’t have enough time to shut if off, at least for the first cycle.
    I seen a video last time and the guy turned on the vac and the AFC kicked in right after that.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

redwood
    Pro

to anyone…

If you want to use the HEPA filter you have to turn off the AFC.
    We know that by now 😀
    But as soon as you turn on the auto model, the filter cleaning cycle kicks in right? so you don’t have enough time to shut if off, at least for the first cycle.
    I seen a video last time and the guy turned on the vac and the AFC kicked in right after that.

You have a few seconds. I don’t think that one burst every once in a while will kill the filter. But it is a pain in the a** to have to turn it off.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA
    @r-ice wrote:

how would you go about grounding the dust deputy? could you use metal tape on this inside and ground it to the vac?

Since you use the bosch dust extractor…this here is a good thread 😛
    I might me cautious with static build up from a cyclone and from the hoses too when using an expensive dust extractor.
    (festool claims that theirs will break down or so when you don’t use the right cyclone)

I would use metalic tape or static tape along the cyclone, maybe cooper wire too…from port to port and from top to bottom. attach a cooper wire to one of the screws with an alligator clip + cooper wire or so for grounding. you can also use cooper wire around the hoses.

attached some pictures I got from the internet

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@madman_us the ground wire, where is that attached to, i can’t really see it in the photo. would that just be dangling right on the ground itself and that would work? i’ll have to gather materials to try this out, as i do get static build up when i am sanding with any of the sanders attached to the bosch vac.

Doobie

This one of the reasons I never opted for a DD, the grouding dillema and for me, Festool themselves and their retailers recomkending against them for their CT’s. I also no longer want a DD for other reasons as well, but the grounding is one of them.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Been using dust deputies on 2 festool vacs and one ridgid vac for quite a while now and never had any problems

Doobie

Been using dust deputies on 2 festool vacs and one ridgid vac for quite a while now and never had any problems

The problem isn’t so much the static shock that snaps your finger back and makes you yelp should you have a static problem using one, it is the risk you could fry the electronics in the CT.

I’ve been using a ClearVue CV06 mini instead of a Dust Deputy. Haven’t been shocked by it or the hoses I have on it but I think this might be a materials question given the cyclones are made of different materials.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

The problem isn’t so much the static shock that snaps your finger back and makes you yelp should you have a static problem using one, it is the risk you could fry the electronics in the CT.

Yeah I realize that. I would hope that festool made their very expensive tools good enough that the eltronincs would be protected from some static shock. Like I said they have always worked fine the last few years I have used them. Whether or not it has any long term affects on them or not I do t know.

Doobie

Yeah I realize that. I would hope that festool made their very expensive tools good enough that the eltronincs would be protected from some static shock. Like I said they have always worked fine the last few years I have used them. Whether or not it has any long term affects on them or not I do t know.

Call up Festool support/technical. I recently did to ask about using my CT36 AC for use with my concrete surface grinder. They said they do not support using it for that. But when I dug with Eric with whom I spoke with there deeper, it is more an issue of the filter does not mitigate 100% filtration of what is harmful silica dust and the general issue of whether it harms the motor was also an issue, but very minal on that front. Basically, it will add to the premature failureof my motor in using it for that, but it is not a big deal much. I don’t plan on doing tons of concrete surface grinding anyways, so I’m alright with that.

I had a similar concern with using my CT for extracting some of that vermiculate looking old asbestos type insulation so,e years ago. I asked them if it was good for that, and Festool said no. But I did get comfortable enough in discussing this that what I did was use a spare hose I had to the vacs outlet and vented it outdoors and did the job anyways. It was a very small job and only sucked up a bag and a half of the insulation in what is now my previous generation model CT22. I couldn’t clear that crap out of where I needed to clean it out of via any other means.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I didn’t have a problem with the tracksaw and DD usage. However I am finding with the new Sanders I have the static buildups so I do want to try to ground it so I don’t fry the electronics in the Sanders.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA
    @r-ice wrote:

the ground wire, where is that attached to, i can’t really see it in the photo. would that just be dangling right on the ground itself and that would work? i’ll have to gather materials to try this out, as i do get static build up when i am sanding with any of the sanders attached to the bosch vac.

sorry was a little bit busy yesterday 😀
    I would just hammer a nail/ a piece of rebar or cooper grounding rod in the ground/soil and attach the wire to it.
    I have not tried it out myself but thats the only way I can think about it.

I’ve been using a ClearVue CV06 mini instead of a Dust Deputy. Haven’t been shocked by it or the hoses I have on it but I think this might be a materials question given the cyclones are made of different materials.

I have the same cyclone – I get quite a static build up; probably because of the ridgid hoses and I been using the mini CV06 and a ridgid vac for 3y now and the shop vac still works. nothing damaged the electronics….
    so my guess the bosch or festool might handle the static build up better.

Does the Bosch extractor has a 3-prong power cord?

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@madman_us it is a three prong power cord, so i am sure if you use the antistatic hose, it’ll work with it.

@r-ice wrote:

the ground wire, where is that attached to, i can’t really see it in the photo. would that just be dangling right on the ground itself and that would work? i’ll have to gather materials to try this out, as i do get static build up when i am sanding with any of the sanders attached to the bosch vac.

sorry was a little bit busy yesterday 😀
    I would just hammer a nail/ a piece of rebar or cooper grounding rod in the ground/soil and attach the wire to it.
    I have not tried it out myself but thats the only way I can think about it.

I have the same cyclone – I get quite a static build up; probably because of the ridgid hoses and I been using the mini CV06 and a ridgid vac for 3y now and the shop vac still works. nothing damaged the electronics….
    so my guess the bosch or festool might handle the static build up better.

Does the Bosch extractor has a 3-prong power cord?

@madman_us

Interesting, I’ve been using mine on a Shop-Vac 5872510 which is a three prong cord but I don’t have static issues on the CV06 mini, but I’m not using the stock hose and instead I have the 1.5″ hose on the cyclone end and a 2″ hose from the cyclone to the vac. What’s your temperature and RH? I’m dealing with mostly 60-80F weather and 40-60% RH so it might also be climate issue. I’d have to assume if humidity isn’t an issue its probably grounding from the vacuum side and it seems like Izzy Swan on Youtube doesn’t have issues with his CV06 mini and Bosch setup.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Interesting, I’ve been using mine on a Shop-Vac 5872510 which is a three prong cord but I don’t have static issues on the CV06 mini, but I’m not using the stock hose and instead I have the 1.5″ hose on the cyclone end and a 2″ hose from the cyclone to the vac. What’s your temperature and RH? I’m dealing with mostly 60-80F weather and 40-60% RH so it might also be climate issue. I’d have to assume if humidity isn’t an issue its probably grounding from the vacuum side and it seems like Izzy Swan on Youtube doesn’t have issues with his CV06 mini and Bosch setup.

my current ridgid has only 2 prong – thats why I’m asking about the bosch’s power cord.
    that might help with the static build up.
    sometimes the entire shop vac is covered in saw dust and sticks to it because of the static. I have the standard hose from ridgid which comes with it. and the orange extension hose.
    temperatures is here around 100F and humidity below 10% most of the time 5%

can’t wait to get the bosch dust extractor 😀

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Humidity might be part of it given dry weather prevents static charge from dissipating. I suspect the Bosch will be better with a three prong since I don’t get a lot of dust buildup on the vacuum. I’m more likely to see dust building up on the cyclone right now.

Viewing 20 posts - 501 through 520 (of 798 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.857 seconds