dcsimg

Bosch Dust Extractor – lets talk

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 798 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Calidecks64

Brad,
    ThanX for the short demo of how how the AFC operates.
    Does the thumping of the AFC get annoying when left on?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@Calidecks64

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/9bxR4xaE5QI?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

with mine being off you can still activate the thump via the handle on the rod a little red button. Does it have the same thing on the automatic?

Doobie

Nice little video Brad to help people figure out how the auto-clean model functions.

I don’t know if I could get used to that model myself being used to other ways my vacs function.

with mine being off you can still activate the thump via the handle on the rod a little red button. Does it have the same thing on the automatic?

No it doesn’t.

Do you, or Dan could answer this who has a semi model, find that whatever mechanism on the wand handle that triggers the self-cleaning function is prone to being accidentally triggered to activate in any way?

It sounds similar to my Festool CT36AC when it thumps, so I would say at first, when you are not used to it, yes in a sense you think there is something wrong. But insofar as it bothering because the thumps are so loud, no.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Thanks for the video Brad. It seems to work exactly as I had previously thought (from your explanation as well).

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Nice little video Brad to help people figure out how the auto-clean model functions.

I don’t know if I could get used to that model myself being used to other ways my vacs function.

No it doesn’t.

Do you, or Dan could answer this who has a semi model, find that whatever mechanism on the wand handle that triggers the self-cleaning function is prone to being accidentally triggered to activate in any way?

It sounds similar to my Festool CT36AC when it thumps, so I would say at first, when you are not used to it, yes in a sense you think there is something wrong. But insofar as it bothering because the thumps are so loud, no.

No I can take a photo of it later and post it up. It is a lever on the handle and you have to depress it all the way and hold it before the thump goes off.

I also want to ask with the filter cleaning abilities, at what point do you see replacing the filter? how can you tell it is at its lifespan?

Doobie

I also want to ask with the filter cleaning abilities, at what point do you see replacing the filter? how can you tell it is at its lifespan?

Unless it says otherwise in the owners manual, probably when it looks like it’s about to fall apart.

Some vacs will have a sensor of some sort to warn you, but I’m not sure any of these non-household use ones do. Some will simply state it as an interval dependant on how many hours use or how many consumable bags have been used since the last change.

If you puncture a hole in one clear thru, even a small one, discard it. Guy on another forum I recall reading years ago killed his vac motor using one that had a perforated filter in it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

it should be always OFF…and you just turn it on when you need it, for certain applications.

I agree. It seems backwards to me in that regard.

If that is the operation you want then get the semi-automatic version.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It is backward. It’s my biggest pet peeve on the vac but I wouldn’t give up the power broker for the AFC

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

yellaD
    Pro

What’s the longest anyone’s run their Bosch Vac/dc continuously?

Why would that matter?

Most vacs of this caliber would have some kind of overheat shut off protection.

So can you run the Vac for an hour straight? Let’s say you have it hooked up to a planer or jointer and you leave it on while you dress your boards. Is the combination of continually working hard on a LOT of chips/dust cause damage? Assuming it doesn’t fill up beforehand.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

no problem for an hour for me. I’ve done that lots when doing a big project for a kitchen and I am doing the carcasses or the face frames.

I wouldn’t have it hooked up to a jointer or planer. Not enough CFM and too much vac. Get a proper DC for that. (it will be cheaper as well)

Brad T

yellaD
    Pro

no problem for an hour for me. I’ve done that lots when doing a big project for a kitchen and I am doing the carcasses or the face frames.

I wouldn’t have it hooked up to a jointer or planer. Not enough CFM and too much vac. Get a proper DC for that. (it will be cheaper as well)

Haha, yeah the DC is cheaper for sure! We were doing that at @R-ice‘s shop, not for an hour but if it was a bigger project, it’s not out of the question. I was thinking about hooking it up to mitre saw and letting it run while I measure, cut, repeat. for extended periods of time. I dont do that now cuz the shop vac is way too loud, but the Bsoch is quiet enough to do that with.

Doobie

It is backward. It’s my biggest pet peeve on the vac but I wouldn’t give up the power broker for the AFC

I do understand that. Especially for sanding. I’m saying that with the understanding that the power broker enables selective and elective suction reduction.

So can you run the Vac for an hour straight? Let’s say you have it hooked up to a planer or jointer and you leave it on while you dress your boards. Is the combination of continually working hard on a LOT of chips/dust cause damage? Assuming it doesn’t fill up beforehand.

I don’t have a Bosch vac, but you should be able to run it pretty well continuously. These are not POS Shopvacs.

@yellaD
    , you really sound like you just fell off the turnip truck when it comes to above entry level tools. Have you spent the time to read thru this thread from its start. You should if you haven’t. Look up the vacs on Bosch’s respective product page for both types of vac and read the owners manuals. I did. You really should if you are serious about getting one of them.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Oh normally I wouldn’t either as I have a larger dust extractor to do that. I needed to see how well it would handle it. It actually handled it very well. In a pinch I think it would be fine.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

for a jointer, planer i would definitely go with a higher cfm dust collector and a huge collection bin. at a jobsite; might be something else…cyclone and a extractor would be useful. or just a collection bag right on the planer.

would be nice if the semi would have a power broker (too -EDITED- ).
    does anybody knows why (bosch didnt put it on the semi -EDITED- )?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

does anybody knows why?

No idea. I doubt that even Bosch knows to be honest….

All I DO know is I REALLY like this vac. I was using it to give the shop a clean up yesterday. It’s just a great tool in the shop that is often overlooked.

Brad T

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What is Power Broker?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great video, Brad…helps explain it clearly. Seems like the auto-clean would work great if not using a bag to keep everything clean. It is kind of load, but other than the noise it does not appear to be any other issue using the feature – I assume it is designed to run continuously. It seems like it should be a control to turn it on and off manually as others have said.

Orange County, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

What is Power Broker?

It is the knob on the vac that drops it’s amps from 9.5amps to 7.5 amps. It basically cuts power for to the vac for jobs like sanding.

I’ve never been bothered by the noise. Even in the video I can talk over the noise of the vac. And it’s in that cubby on my bench that makes it louder. Compared to a Rigid shop vac, it’s a whisper.

Brad T

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

What is Power Broker?

It is the knob on the vac that drops it’s amps from 9.5amps to 7.5 amps. It basically cuts power for to the vac for jobs like sanding.

I’ve never been bothered by the noise. Even in the video I can talk over the noise of the vac. And it’s in that cubby on my bench that makes it louder. Compared to a Rigid shop vac, it’s a whisper.

is there a huge difference in suction and noise-level (ok we know the extractor is not loud compared to others) when you use the dial?
    *cough* maybe a video would be nice 😛 like your short videos haha

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That sounds handy dandy. Guess it drops the load as well as the noise for continuous operation.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 798 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.808 seconds