dcsimg

Bosch Dust Extractor – lets talk

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 798 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

That’s one of the many things I like about my Bosch dust extractor compared to my shop vac is you don’t get the concentrated blast of exhaust air coming out of it. It seems to be more diffused coming out of the vents around the top of the extractor. After I got my extractor last year my main thought when comparing it with my shop vac is that it is a much more refined machine in every way.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It is a very refined machine. I’m still considering a second one for shop duty to replace the rigid but I’m not sold yet on what size or model.

I almost wish they made a smaller one then the 090 so it could stay in the shop and I could use the smaller as the portable.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

woodman_412

It is a very refined machine. I’m still considering a second one for shop duty to replace the rigid but I’m not sold yet on what size or model.

I almost wish they made a smaller one then the 090 so it could stay in the shop and I could use the smaller as the portable.

Glad to hear you talking about getting a second one Brad after all the hassle you had with the issue on the first one. I agree that a smaller size would be a nice option, although if I could only have one(which is true) then it would be the 090 that I have since it’s a good medium size to fit just about all applications. I still use my shop vac hooked up to the dust deputy for my portable table saw, router table etc. I use the vac and the extractor together fairly often.

Dan

danpattison.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Glad to hear you talking about getting a second one Brad after all the hassle you had with the issue on the first one. I agree that a smaller size would be a nice option, although if I could only have one(which is true) then it would be the 090 that I have since it’s a good medium size to fit just about all applications. I still use my shop vac hooked up to the dust deputy for my portable table saw, router table etc. I use the vac and the extractor together fairly often.

I think a router table is the perfect time use both the vac and an extractor…unless you have a true DC. I’ve tried to use my Ridgid for both above and below the table dust collection…and failed horribly. It just can’t do both.

You guys are really making me want the 9 gallon vac! I need something moderately portable.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

unless you have a true DC

I know you get this, You can’t replace true DC on a router table. The vacs will never keep up. I’ll never go back.

As always there is a place for both.

Brad T

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

That’s one of the many things I like about my Bosch dust extractor compared to my shop vac is you don’t get the concentrated blast of exhaust air coming out of it. It seems to be more diffused coming out of the vents around the top of the extractor. After I got my extractor last year my main thought when comparing it with my shop vac is that it is a much more refined machine in every way.

Thanks for the explanation. Now I’m flipping back and forth as to a 9 or 16.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

What’s the smallest extractor Bosch makes? I’d be interested in one about the size of a midi.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Attachments

I’m going for the semi

woodman_412

unless you have a true DC

I know you get this, You can’t replace true DC on a router table. The vacs will never keep up. I’ll never go back.

As always there is a place for both.

I’ve never used my 4″ DC on my router table. I’ve always found in my experience that the more concentrated suction from the shop vac is more effective than stepping down the 4″ line to 2 1/2″. The DC would definitely work better though if you were creating a lot of chips in a short amount of time. I’ll have to give the DC a try again though since you said it works well for you Brad.

Dan

danpattison.com

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I’ve never understood how a larger hose on the ct would make for better suction, when the hole on the kapex is still small. I mean it’s only as good as it’s weakest point of suction, right?

yellaD
    Pro

I’ve never understood how a larger hose on the ct would make for better suction, when the hole on the kapex is still small. I mean it’s only as good as it’s weakest point of suction, right?

That’s what I’m thinking too. Unless you plan on the DC as a shop vac and sucking up pieces of debris that are more than 27mm, maybe off the ground?

woodman_412

That’s exactly right. If there is a smaller opening at the saw than the diameter of the hose you are actually worse off. The velocity of the air will be slower in a bigger hose when you have it choked down to a smaller diameter at another point. You’d be best using the same diameter hose as the smallest opening along the route.

Dan

danpattison.com

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

That’s exactly right. If there is a smaller opening at the saw than the diameter of the hose you are actually worse off. The velocity of the air will be slower in a bigger hose when you have it choked down to a smaller diameter at another point. You’d be best using the same diameter hose as the smallest opening along the route.

My thoughts exactly. All these festool owners swear by the bigger 36mm hose. Doesn’t make sense due to the small 27mm opening at the saw.

woodman_412

I did a bunch of research on the physics of dust collection a couple years ago. It was very interesting and a big help when designing a system. Basically what it boils down to with what we are talking about is air won’t be compressed at dust collector/extractor power levels so whatever your limiting factor is dictates what volume of air will travel through the system or hose. Think of it like water at domestic service pressure. If you put a small fitting in somewhere along the line then your water output at the tap is only going to be as good as what can flow through that fitting at the given pressure.

Dan

danpattison.com

yellaD
    Pro

I did a bunch of research on the physics of dust collection a couple years ago. It was very interesting and a big help when designing a system. Basically what it boils down to with what we are talking about is air won’t be compressed at dust collector/extractor power levels so whatever your limiting factor is dictates what volume of air will travel through the system or hose. Think of it like water at domestic service pressure. If you put a small fitting in somewhere along the line then your water output at the tap is only going to be as good as what can flow through that fitting at the given pressure.

Ok so following that theory, if the shop DC is 4″ going in, 4″ tubes/pipeline, and, 4″ chute at the tool…that would be ideal. If, at one of the tools that’s attached and the DC chute is anything less (27mm,36mm,2.5″,etc) then the DC can only collect at the rate the small opening allows. When you turn that tool off and use another with 4″ chute, the DC will operate at optimal level again?

woodman_412

Ok so following that theory, if the shop DC is 4″ going in, 4″ tubes/pipeline, and, 4″ chute at the tool…that would be ideal. If, at one of the tools that’s attached and the DC chute is anything less (27mm,36mm,2.5″,etc) then the DC can only collect at the rate the small opening allows. When you turn that tool off and use another with 4″ chute, the DC will operate at optimal level again?

Yes if you have a blast gate or any way to cut off suction to the tool with the small port then you won’t be limited by that smaller diameter when you use a different tool with 4″ all the way. It’s only the smallest diameter that is in the active collection path that will limit you.

Now another note to consider is friction. In a dust collection system due to friction between the air and the inside of the pipes/hoses the air will slow down the further it has to travel. So in a well designed system the diameters will be gradually stepped down to keep the velocity up. So an example would be if you have a big system and start with an 8″ duct then you would step down to 6″ after you’ve gone some distance and possibly to 4″ when you’ve gone even further. Basically you want to step down the diameter so that the velocity will still be kept up even though there is now less air flow due to friction loses. Where we’re talking about dust extractors in this thread that’s not an issue since it’s always just a short run of hose but I just wanted to mention that while we’re on the physics topic. Another thing is ribbed hose has 3 times the friction of straight pipe so the less hose you use the better. If anyone has more DC system questions maybe we can move that discussion over to the DC thread and keep this on topic for the Bosch extractor.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

Dan, you’ve summed that up nicely. That is what I learned about all this when I did my research on the issue long ago as well.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Now there is the sister model that does not do this. THE VAC140S only actiavet in the following manner per this cut & paste from the owners manual.

Yes, but that model does not have the power broker… So it’s a trade off.

I didn’t notice that.

whoa, that was long winded.

Nah! It shed light on your rationale which is well worth it for others to help judge the unit(s) involved.

Brad, I’m not quite understanding. Do you have to turn the auto, “off” everytime you unplug the vac and plug it back in. What are you meaning by “its “on” by default”?

Thanks in advance.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That is correct. Every time you unplug the vac OR every time you turn the vac on/off with the switch you need to turn the ACF off.

It defaults to the on position when you power the vac (in any mode or with the cord etc)

When you turn it off in “tool activation” mode, it stays off until you unplug the vac or turn the dial to off. So the vac turns on with the tool, but the ACF stays off.

Brad T

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ll get a video up in the next day or two.

it’s confusing but once you see it you’ll get it.

Brad T

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 798 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.897 seconds