dcsimg

Bosch Dust Extractor – lets talk

This topic contains 657 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ebooo Masterbosch 11 hours, 44 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 658 total)
  • Author

I didnt find a Topic of a Bosch Dust Extractor so i created one (if there is one, please delete)
    Now we can start talking about dust extractor from bosch, pros and cons etc since we have the VAC140A now on our rewards list.

– I am concerned about the HEPA ready option. i read somewhere that you have to turn “ACF” off when you want to run a HEPA Filter otherwise you will damage it.
    Here it is from amazon.com review:
    I acquired this vacuum along with the VF120H HEPA filter for removal of ash and for general shop use.

The auto filter clean (AFC) feature is always on when you turn on the device, and the manual says you have to disable it otherwise you ruin the $120 filter. The vacuum should detect that it is using a HEPA filter and automatically disable AFC, or at the very least remember if AFC was on/off last time you used. I reported the issue to Bosch, and they confirmed this is how the product works when I pulled them 2 weeks later for an answer. They did not respond when I subsequently conveyed my disappointment in this design flaw.

Otherwise works well. It is powerful and the feature to dial down the suction is useful. It’s pretty load, and has these pops when you turn it off. Not sure if this is only when using the plastic bag.

To be useful as a general shop vacuum you to acquire the extension tubes and nozzle separately.

i run a dust cyclone (mini CV06) with my current shop vac and it builds up quite some static. i read that you need to have a special cyclone for the festool extractor otherwise you will damage the extractor. is that the same case with the bosch? or maybe its better just to ground the cyclone.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Profile photo of Brad
    thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve got the VAC090A and love it. Had some initial issues with it (you should be able to search out the thread here) but it’s been rock solid after that.

The AFC is easy to turn off but it is a PITA that it defaults to the ON instead of needing to turn it on when wanted.

I’m just heading out but will answer any questions you have later.

I also have a rigid and a big DC as all seen here and they all have there place.

IMG_3064 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

the tool activation outlet is rated at 7.5 amp right?
    when you turn off the AFC, does it stay off when you run for instance a saw with the tool activation?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Profile photo of Bill
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve got the VAC090A and love it. Had some initial issues with it (you should be able to search out the thread here) but it’s been rock solid after that.

Brad glad to hear the replacement unit has been working fine.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

My only gripe (and I think I have said this everywh ere) is that the auto clean default is on and I wish it was off.

That really should be an on/off switch rather than a default off switch from having the Auto Filter Clean coming on everytime the vac is activated.

Now there is the sister model that does not do this. THE VAC140S only actiavet in the following manner per this cut & paste from the owners manual.

Semi-automatic filter cleaning (SfC)
    (Available on models VAC090S, VAC140S)
    Air reversals will clean the filters when either
    the actuator on the hose is depressed, or the
    airflow is blocked by covering the end of the
    hose. No suction will be available as the
    filters are being cleaned.
    To deactivate the SFC function, slide the red
    switch on the side of the vacuum towards the
    front of the vacuum. To reactivate, slide the
    red switch towards the rear of the vacuum.

END C&P

Why didn’t you go for the S model Brad? Or is it now in hindsight you would’ve had you known?

Quirky how Bosch seems to have gone about this. Two different models to achieve the same thing but using different methods.

I may be interested in getting one at some point, but I already have two Festool vacs and a host of other older repurposed screamers.

Kevin.

Profile photo of Brian
    Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Great thread, I will be following this, as I am no where near a expert with these types of vacuums, but after seeing some members talking about them, got me interested.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

A question for Brad @thedude306 or anybody else who owns one, the varible load switch, does that alternate the suction level?

By chance do you also own any Festool CT’s? If not, what made you chose the Bosch? If yes, how would you say they compare?

Kevin.

Profile photo of Andy
    yellaD
    Pro

You cannot run a regular dust cyclone on the Festo CT series. I’m thinking that if you gotta turn the suction down on the Bosch, a regular dust cyclone won’t work on this neither. Maybe the upgraded Dust Deputy will work on Bosch, as Festool now has their own version.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

You cannot run a regular dust cyclone on the Festo CT series. I’m thinking that if you gotta turn the suction down on the Bosch, a regular dust cyclone won’t work on this neither. Maybe the upgraded Dust Deputy will work on Bosch, as Festool now has their own version.

What do you mean by a regular dust cyclone?

Kevin.

I’d be surprise if the Bosch vacuum couldn’t run a cyclone, I have a CV06 Mini and I’ve run it off a Sebo canister vacuum (As an experiment) with higher motor CFM and water lift specs without harm. It runs fine on a (More like just a more powerful motor than the typical sub-120CFM/low water lift Shopvacs) Shopvac and I assume all you’d have to do on the Bosch is to just disable the automatic cleaning function.

Izzy Swan has the VAC140a with a CV06 Mini as well:

I’d have to assume its how Festool handles static dissipation (Funny story, I’ve received a reply on some vacuum manufacturers about the implementations of that before…) and grounding on their vacuum that causes them to not play well with a dust cyclone.

Profile photo of Brian
    Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@reflector thanks, that was a great video. Like the set up. Wanting a BOSCH vacuum even more now, the work bench was very nice as well.

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Izzy Swan has the VAC140a with a CV06 Mini as well:

Great video endorsement for the Bosch and the cyclone. Thanks for the link.

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.
    Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of Jon
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Awesome video! I officially Need this dust extractor! If an L-box compatible dust separator could be developed, I’d buy one right now.

I use a home made Thien baffle with my Ridgid and I’ll never go without a pre-separator again. It just makes life easier in the long run. Cleaning filters happens very seldomly, I use almost no bags at all…its just a better way to work.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

If an L-box compatible dust separator could be developed, I’d buy one right now.

Yes and yes to this! Dust Deputy, get on it!

I really like my 090A vac, but I do think the 090S option would be nice being semi-automatic rather than automatic.

John S

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Awesome video! I officially Need this dust extractor! If an L-box compatible dust separator could be developed, I’d buy one right now.

@jponto07,
    Jon build one out of a couple L-BOXX-4’s, It would clip right to the top of the VAC140A and always be there. 🙂

@reflector,
    ThanX for the video, definitely adding that to my list of needed rewards.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

I have the 090S and love it. I’ve never actually used the filter cleaning feature since I’ve never found the need for it. I use the reusable fleece bag in my vac and I don’t find that the filter gets dirty when I use that. I have both the regular and HEPA filters depending on what I’m doing but I find the fleece bag catches just about everything before it gets to the filter. I have the filter cleaning shut off on my vac. It’s cool to see that it got added to the prize list!

Dan

danpattison.com

Profile photo of Brad
    thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

the tool activation outlet is rated at 7.5 amp right?

That’s right but I think it’s WAY under rated. I have come to REALLY like this feature for sanding and wouldn’t be without it.

Now there is the sister model that does not do this. THE VAC140S only actiavet in the following manner per this cut & paste from the owners manual.

Yes, but that model does not have the power broker… So it’s a trade off.

when you turn off the AFC, does it stay off when you run for instance a saw with the tool activation?

Yes, once you set the AFC to off, it stays off until you manual turn the vac on and off.

the varible load switch, does that alternate the suction level?

Yes, it reduces suction.

Brad T

Profile photo of Brad
    thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

By chance do you also own any Festool CT’s? If not, what made you chose the Bosch? If yes, how would you say they compare?

I don’t own one, but the Festool rep brought me one to use when my Bosch was in the shop for so long. I had it for a full 30 days. The Festool is a really nice machine, but I prefer the Bosch. Better build quality, longer run time after tool activation shut down, L-boxx integration, quieter, and I felt it had better suction but I have NO imperial data to support that.

I really wanted to like the festool. Well I did like it, but I liked the Bosch better. I went through an absolute GONG show getting my Bosch fixed and was ready to make the switch. Bosch lost our appliance business for our house over it (because of dealing with Bosch service). I was REALLY upset with the whole deal, and I still came back to the VAC090A.

It’s just a better vac.

Speaking of a comparison, I also have a standard Rigid vac hooked up to a dust deputy with an iVac tool activation. It’s a great vacuum. It sucks better then the Bosch (or festool) and I still use it in my shop. It’s hooked up to my miter saw and I use it for my above blade DC on my table saw. It’s LOUD, like freak’n crazy loud, it blows dust in the air without the dust deputy, it’s a PITA to clean without the dust deputy, the attachments suck, it’s cumbersome. BUT, because it has great suction, it works better with the dust deputy then the bosch.

Does the dust deputy work with the bosch?? of course. But for my set up and needs, I wanted a smaller, higher suction, quieter, smaller hose, HEPA ready, more versatile vacuum. I use the Bosch on my routers, track saw and sanders and it excels with those tools. It also gets used on site and in the house etc so I am moving it around. The L-boxx integration makes this REALLY handy. I did contact Oneida about a L-boxx dust deputy, and I encourage everyone to do the same. If enough people ask, they might do it. I have also thought about going the DIY L-4 with DD but really don’t think I would use it at this time.

As for the auto clean, I like the feature. It does a great job when doing dry wall or MDF without a bag. Bags get expensive. I still use bags as the clean up is SOOO easy. The power broker feature is worth the PITA of having to turn off the ACF for myself. Some guys might not be bothered with it.

whoa, that was long winded.

Brad T

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Yes, but that model does not have the power broker… So it’s a trade off.

I didn’t notice that.

Nah! It shed light on your rationale which is well worth it for others to help judge the unit(s) involved.

Kevin.

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks for the info Brad. The 140 sounds like a nice unit.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 658 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.777 seconds