dcsimg

Bosch DDH181X Review

This topic contains 41 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Hey guys, I promised a video of the Bosch DDH181X in action and here it is! I want to apologize for the time t took but work has ben really hectic and a rough few weeks with my best friend Rufus had me busy but my nearly 14 ear old Mini Schnauzer is doing a lot better! I shot the video a total of three times, the third I kept.

Quick break down on the Bosch DDH181X drill:

Bosch DDH181X Brute Tough Drill Driver. 708″ lbs. torque, two speeds, 1700 rms blah blah blach, anybody can read that!

I wanted to check out hw this mchine would perform next to my DeWalt DCD985 Hammer Drill. The tools are comparable, however the Dewalt is faster at 2000 rpms. This was not an endurance test, I just wanted to see how well it held up to the Dewalt. And of kicks, I added my brushless Festool T18 into the video too. I utilized a 2-1/4″ Lennox hole saw and a really old 1″ spade bit into kiln dried pine, two inches thick. The Bosch did awesome. I dare say on the 1′ spade it was the fastest.

The grip is really comfortable on the Bosch, lots of overmold the short chuck is great for small areas and the active response technology is a wrist saver. I know because I have used it several times. What I don’t like may seem trivial but….no belt clip, no on board bit storage. I might be a DiY guy and woodworker, but I do use my tools.

I plan on using them semi professionally when I retire in 3-1/2 years. I climb ladders, i walk on roofs etc. and those are important things for me, so I am docking it on those two issues. That’s it though. You can attach a lanyard and that fixes the biggest problem in my opinion. The LED work light is awesome, shines light at the end of the bit and boy this guy has some serious power. The thirty minute fast charger is awesome and I love Bosch 4.0ah batteries regardless. Comes with a soft sided case. I hope you like the video and have an awesome weekend!

I’ll attach a couple of,pics in a few!  Here’s video of me with my Bosch DDH181X-01 Drill/Driver.

Anonymous

Great video and comparison, It was nice to finally see the Brute in action. Boy you really bear down on those drills will all your weight, And I noticed you give it an extreme ‘twirl’ action. I understand why but not to that extreme. It seems like it’d distort the hole a little. Anyway, I really enjoyed seeing that drill in action. Thanks for going through the trouble of posting it

Thanks Dabbs! Yup lots of force but not so much downwards as opposed to keeping it in tight to my body, the hole saw is quite dull after several years of use. Probably should’ve broken out my new set but…..

Anonymous

Thanks Dabbs! Yup lots of force, the hole saw is quite dull after several years of use. Probably should’ve broken out my new set but…..

Ohhh ok LOL, That makes sense. If ya gotta do it ya gotta do it 🙂

Yeah, so the first time I was leaning back and let me tell ya…..that active response stuff works. Ow! I ended up getting a new Milwaukee set but I didn’t want to use the. For a darn video as opposed to work. Three days ago when I shot the video for the second time, the teeth got snagged in the hole and spun my wrist pretty quick. What was awesome is it kicked and immediately, and I mean immediately cut power to the machine. It was so quick I would have never responded in time. Really awesome technology in this machine.

Anonymous

Yeah, so the first time I was leaning back and let me tell ya…..that active response stuff works. Ow! I ended up getting a new Milwaukee set but I didn’t want to use the. For a darn video as opposed to work. Three days ago when I shot the video for the second time, the teeth got snagged in the hole and spun my wrist pretty quick. What was awesome is it kicked and immediately, and I mean immediately cut power to the machine. It was so quick I would have never responded in time. Really awesome technology in this machine.

Wow, Yeah dang it I keep forgetting about that feature. It’s good to hear that it truly works that well to save ya, I’m liking this drill more and more

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Thanks for the in use video. I’m quite tempted to pick one up, but don’t think I’ll ever need such a powerful drill.

What really impressed me when I started to look into this drill is that despite the (stall) torque rating is only a bit more than the compact version, the actual running torque is much higher, actually the same as stall torque as the Bosch brushless compact.

monman1
    Pro

Thanks for the Great video!

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Nice comparison video. Looks like the Bosch did well. I do like having a belt clip. Wonder why Bosch decided to not use one on this drill?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Awesome job with the drill review . Thanks for sharing with us . Got to give you credit with your shop size . It’s small but well thought out . How’s the Dewalt tool box in the back round .

Always willing to learn .

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the comments.
    @ronw beats me dude. That’s really a crappy way to do it because it is a really large gun and hauling it around on a ladder would be much easier with a clip.

@skillman Thanks for that! I will hopefully have my fastcaps up this weekend and will be moving some stuff around again. The Dewalt box is awesome. I have it on the top of a regular shop table, I did not buy the bottom. It’s more for holding some of my nice Woodpecker tools and a lot of odds and ends. The only gripe I had with the box is it comes with NO handle for the top compartment! I ordered a Dewalt miter saw grip and attached it to the top so I can open it without prying. Other than that the bearings work great and the grommets in the back allow me to have a charger in the top. The two bottom drawers are nice and high so you can stick some larger things in them,

@chrisk1970, thanks for taking the time to produce the video. You did a super job showing us the drill, a very capable drill for sure. Good to hear about the active response working well for you too.

@ronw beats me dude. That’s really a crappy way to do it because it is a really large gun and hauling it around on a ladder would be much easier with a clip.

@skillman Thanks for that! I will hopefully have my fastcaps up this weekend and will be moving some stuff around again. The Dewalt box is awesome. I have it on the top of a regular shop table, I did not buy the bottom. It’s more for holding some of my nice Woodpecker tools and a lot of odds and ends. The only gripe I had with the box is it comes with NO handle for the top compartment! I ordered a Dewalt miter saw grip and attached it to the top so I can open it without prying. Other than that the bearings work great and the grommets in the back allow me to have a charger in the top. The two bottom drawers are nice and high so you can stick some larger things in them,

How much did you pay for the top half unit .

Always willing to learn .

Anonymous

Nice comparison video. Looks like the Bosch did well. I do like having a belt clip. Wonder why Bosch decided to not use one on this drill?

I am surprised too that they didn’t include the tiny little threaded socket molded into the lower sides to add a belt clip or bit holder, Although I’m not impressed with the bit holder but a belt clip would be nice

@chrisk1970 – great video review – thanks for posting. So, would you say this is your preferred drill of the three?

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I liked the video although I can’t get the sound to work on it?? I’ve been having sound problems lately with you-tube???

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Liked the video and comparisons Chris. Thanks for posting it.

I just bought this drill last week, but yet haven’t had time to try it.

Three days ago when I shot the video for the second time, the teeth got snagged in the hole and spun my wrist pretty quick. What was awesome is it kicked and immediately, and I mean immediately cut power to the machine. It was so quick I would have never responded in time. Really awesome technology in this machine.

That’s interesting. I had no idea what was really meant by the Respose Technology. Nice feature if I understand now what it does. I might have thought mine was busted if I hadn’t read this if it was to kick in while using it.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

How much did you pay for the top half unit .

I got it for $199 with free shipping to my HD. They do not carry it normally. I was looking on line and the prices on the box went up though!

@chrisk1970 – great video review – thanks for posting. So, would you say this is your preferred drill of the three?

@mrtooljunkie yeah that’s a hard one to answer. Firstly, I love my Festool. But in all fairness, it’s got the Centrotec chuck which makes the unit super compact and additionally, I have the offset eccentric chuck and the right angle chuck so I can use it in the smallest places. That is my first choice.

Between the Dewalt and the Bosch…..? I love having a tool that was made here. The Dewalt has the hammer function so it’s the least used tool in my shop, but when I was building it, it was the most used after my Kapex and Dewalt DW745. But then the again, the Bosch has a lower top speed but in my opinion is faster. Coupled with the active response, it’s a better tool for user safety (last year, I strained my wrist with the Dewalt in some wet wood when I assume I hit a knot and did not have the piece secured.

I can’t really answer that fairly but I can honestly say I’ll be using my Bosch over my Dewalt. They both have really good pros with little cons. I’ve got two projects planned, one beginning this weekend that’ll have me up on ladders driving lags and setting carriage bolts and having a belt clip is a nice feature. Bosch over looked this. There is no place for one either. I don’t mean to get stuck on this but it’s a feature I use whenever I’m outside. I’m a clean nut about my tools. When I drop a couple hundred bucks, it’s going to look new for a long time. I know it’s vain but that is how I am about my truck, my work car, my yard, I’m OCD I guess. I don’t want my really super nice Bosch sitting on pavement getting knocked over and scuffed all up. I know I’ll use the Bosch more because it is shorter, I honestly think it has the same amount of power but although it says it’s slower at high, I felt it drilled quicker. I like the shorter chuck. Sorry for the foggy answer but…..when you give me a tool made here I naturally want that tool first (unless it’s a Festool…cmon…..we’ve all got are preferences….brunette a or blondes? Dewalt, Bosch or Festool….?) but I honestly think the Bosch holds its own. The work light is in a better place, on the grip resulting in less shadowing…my shop is in the basement so ,very little natural light down there. The over molding is more pliable and is everywhere on the tool, resulting in a really comfortable grip.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Thanks for the additional commentary. Especially in regards to the Festool aspect.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.821 seconds