dcsimg

BOSCH D-tect 150 Wall/Floor Scanner

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Author

58chev hey Frank, to bad we don’t live closer, I went to see our electricians yesterday,
    Man they are well equipped,
    They showed me this awesome detection tool
    I could always borrow it over night, to bad we aren’t closer.
    He said it works great, but very $$$$.00
    If you need more information on it let me know, I can send you more, he told me that they do have places that rent them out.

@boschmanbrian,
    Looks like one of those detectors that they use to locate gas/water/bell lines underground.

Amprobe, is a good co. sub-division of Fluke. I have a Voltmeter made by them. Great stuff.

ive never heard of them before, are they a big company in Canada? usually all i hear about is fluke.

To be honest with you, I have not really heard or used any of their equipment before, unless I did but just never really paid attention to it.
    We use fluke a fair bit at work.

I think your fil knows about them better than I do

Wouldn’t mind giving it a try, just to see what it’s capable of
    I will ask the lead electrician next time he uses it, to call me.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

I’d say that the ones that showed 4 3/8 or there about is a good possibility that it would be a stud. Yes, a couple other tries that I did but not recorded seemed to be 16″ apart.

I’m gonna ponder for a few days still, but I think come early next week, I’ll be redeeming for one myself.

I did a little analysis today of what I should be getting next, and the D-Tect 150 came second in line right behind getting a pair of Blaklader shorts.

I posted this in the “what are you saving up for….” thread, but this is what I’m refering to with my ‘analysis’.

@Doobie
    I stumbled across this old thread of the D-tect 150. I am just wondering if you decide to get one? If you did I wondering what your thoughts of D-tect 150 is?
    I was wondering if I got a D-tect 150 would help locate the sewer line in my basement floor. Maybe my local HD rents a d-tect 150?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

OLD THREAD WARNING

I’d say that the ones that showed 4 3/8 or there about is a good possibility that it would be a stud. Yes, a couple other tries that I did but not recorded seemed to be 16″ apart.

I’m gonna ponder for a few days still, but I think come early next week, I’ll be redeeming for one myself.

I did a little analysis today of what I should be getting next, and the D-Tect 150 came second in line right behind getting a pair of Blaklader shorts.

I posted this in the “what are you saving up for….” thread, but this is what I’m refering to with my ‘analysis’.

@Doobie
    I stumbled across this old thread of the D-tect 150. I am just wondering if you decide to get one? If you did I wondering what your thoughts of D-tect 150 is?

I was wondering if I got a D-tect 150 would help locate the sewer line in my basement floor. Maybe my local HD rents a d-tect 150?

I didn’t get it and it was largely due to Frank’s disappointing results using his.

He was trying to locate radiant heat water lines in his garage so he could drill holes for a car hoist he wanted to install in there to lift his cars up to work on them.

He never felt that he got relialable readings enough from it. It’s a pretty pricey redemption for what is extremely limited use as a homeowner.

If I ever I felt I really needed one, I’d just look into renting one. These things are meant for guys working concrete everyday looking for somewhat shallow buried obstruction where they need to drill.

I recall researching online user reviews and there were a lot of disappointed users. Sounded like a lot of user error, but it was also because it seemed to be a somewhat finicky device to calibrate properly to ensure your getting proper results.

Don’t waste your points on this unit Greg.

I did buy buy the D-Tect 120 along with a handful of other scanners and tried them all out. The 120 was the worst of the bunch. I kept one of the two Zircons I tried and brought back all the other ones still in resalable condition. Scanners out there have quite a varied level of quality and accuracy.

You can always rent a finder like this , they make different models for different searching , is electric or gas and like this one is used to locate sewage or plumbing lines ,
    This is just an example

@GTokley

Doobie

You can always rent a finder like this , they make different models for different searching , is electric or gas and like this one is used to locate sewage or plumbing lines ,
    This is just an example

I know it was mentioned to Greg before.

Have you looked into what renting one would cost @GTokley?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

This is not a reliable method because using a fish tape is a total crapshoot. I seriously doubt you can push past 10 to 15 feet of fish tape.

Most old pipes are full of debris on the bottom side, especially old cast iron pipes with build up rust that turns into nodules on the inside, that combined with grease, crap, TP, food waste, hair and whatever would gunk up the bottom of the pipe. A fish tape is not going to be able to navigate through. If not the waste then it’s going to stop at the first elbow at a “lip” then further pushing and bouncing will just turn the tape into a 180 or figure 8 binding itself at the turn. That’s why if one really wants to do it right they would get a pro to do this to (1) Clear the drain with a snake, (2) retrieve the snake to attach a locator head and (3) Scope the line with a camera with recording. You get all three done and negotiate the price for the whole thing. This eliminates the chance when someone tries to do only location to do it half way through and say “can’t go further because seems you have a blockage the locator can’t get past”, and guarantees you have a cleaned drain for camera to scope out any other issues (line breaks, root intrusion etc…)

Absolutely sure that DTect wouldn’t work in this case. Depth is most likely out of range, and it probably would detect rebars or old abandoned galvanized water lines and lead you on the wrong path for the sewer.

I have used a fish tape once it doesn’t work unless you have a perfectly straight pipe with no joint. You would have better luck fitting the locator on the tip of a 1/4″ snake powered by a hand drill, really need something that spins and self advance. But clear the drain first, this is very important.

As far as renting, I highly discourage a DIYer rent a drain cleaning machine for casual use. Rent a locator and use a fish tape like Kevin said, you can try it, I doubt it would work for more than 10 feet in. But rent a 100′ snake, or rent a snake equipped with a locator, don’t. Stay safe. The pros have been handling these machines day in and day out, they developed sort of a “feel” for it which is essential. When to push forward, when to back off, when to reverse, when to let go…are not something a newbie user can easily figure out. A pile of blockage settled at a 90 elbow takes experience to clear, the pros who have done it thousands of time know if this is a soft grease blockage, or a tree root intrusion, or an elbow, or a pile of sand, by feel, we can’t. We just know it’s not going forward. That experience is what may prevent a snake not moving forward into a state where you can’t go forward or pull it back because it twisted back on itself and winds and binds. You don’t want to rent a machine and be stuck 40′ in. I have also seen people getting seriously hurt by using these machines not knowing when to push and pull, and end up with the snake tearing up their hands when the latent twist energy releases. Be real careful.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

This is just an example

@Doobie
    I thought I answered your post & Brian post. I just wondering they went to spam.

Greg

@Miamicuse exactly , that’s why I recommend a plumber that actually knows how and the specs and bylaws and codes on running drains , my friend is never wrong by finding the drains , he doesn’t use any sort of detection system , just his over 20 years of experience , I don’t recall him ever missing the drain once , and he’s done hundreds of basement bathrooms and so on ,
    Yeah you are right about hiring a experience person , that’s something you don’t want to mess up ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

@Doobie

I didn’t get it and it was largely due to Frank’s disappointing results using his.

He was trying to locate radiant heat water lines in his garage so he could drill holes for a car hoist he wanted to install in there to lift his cars up to work on them.

He never felt that he got relialable readings enough from it. It’s a pretty pricey redemption for what is extremely limited use as a homeowner.

If I ever I felt I really needed one, I’d just look into renting one. These things are meant for guys working concrete everyday looking for somewhat shallow buried obstruction where they need to drill.

I recall researching online user reviews and there were a lot of disappointed users. Sounded like a lot of user error, but it was also because it seemed to be a somewhat finicky device to calibrate properly to ensure your getting proper results.

Don’t waste your points on this unit Greg.

I did buy buy the D-Tect 120 along with a handful of other scanners and tried them all out. The 120 was the worst of the bunch. I kept one of the two Zircons I tried and brought back all the other ones still in resalable condition. Scanners out there have quite a varied level of quality and accuracy.

Ok thanks Kevin! I did read that Frank didn’t have much success with D-Tect 150. I thought maybe you might have pick it up anyways as I know you love tools. It was just a thought. I like to do things myself. So I thought by getting a scanner it would help me do another job. Thanks for the heads up.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

This is just an example

@GTokley

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>

<iframe title=”SIMPLE WAY TO FIND A SEWER LINE UNDER CONCRETE SLAB” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ftyTG6xhYwQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” name=”fitvid0″></iframe>

</figure>

Thanks for the suggestion. I have watch this video before.

This is just an example

I have only looked online at my local rental places. I didn’t have any luck finding anything out. I will have to phone or stop into a rental place to find out a price.
    I have also found a couple local people who offer this service. It might be cheaper to got this route.
    When I closer to this project I will get some prices/quotes on costs.

Greg

Doobie

Doobie I thought I answered your post & Brian post. I just wondering they went to spam.

I just Approved that one, and also saw one from yesterday also I just approved @GTokley.

Thing is, when I approve them, they don’t show up where they were originally posted and also show the current date stamp of today. PITA.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Doobie I thought I answered your post & Brian post. I just wondering they went to spam.

I just Approved that one, and also saw one from yesterday also I just approved @GTokley.

Thing is, when I approve them, they don’t show up where they were originally posted and also show the current date stamp of today. PITA.

Thanks Kevin! Yeah I aware the post shows up with current date stamp.

This is not a reliable method because using a fish tape is a total crapshoot. I seriously doubt you can push past 10 to 15 feet of fish tape.

Most old pipes are full of debris on the bottom side, especially old cast iron pipes with build up rust that turns into nodules on the inside, that combined with grease, crap, TP, food waste, hair and whatever would gunk up the bottom of the pipe. A fish tape is not going to be able to navigate through. If not the waste then it’s going to stop at the first elbow at a “lip” then further pushing and bouncing will just turn the tape into a 180 or figure 8 binding itself at the turn. That’s why if one really wants to do it right they would get a pro to do this to (1) Clear the drain with a snake, (2) retrieve the snake to attach a locator head and (3) Scope the line with a camera with recording. You get all three done and negotiate the price for the whole thing. This eliminates the chance when someone tries to do only location to do it half way through and say “can’t go further because seems you have a blockage the locator can’t get past”, and guarantees you have a cleaned drain for camera to scope out any other issues (line breaks, root intrusion etc…)

Absolutely sure that DTect wouldn’t work in this case. Depth is most likely out of range, and it probably would detect rebars or old abandoned galvanized water lines and lead you on the wrong path for the sewer.

I have used a fish tape once it doesn’t work unless you have a perfectly straight pipe with no joint. You would have better luck fitting the locator on the tip of a 1/4″ snake powered by a hand drill, really need something that spins and self advance. But clear the drain first, this is very important.

As far as renting, I highly discourage a DIYer rent a drain cleaning machine for casual use. Rent a locator and use a fish tape like Kevin said, you can try it, I doubt it would work for more than 10 feet in. But rent a 100′ snake, or rent a snake equipped with a locator, don’t. Stay safe. The pros have been handling these machines day in and day out, they developed sort of a “feel” for it which is essential. When to push forward, when to back off, when to reverse, when to let go…are not something a newbie user can easily figure out. A pile of blockage settled at a 90 elbow takes experience to clear, the pros who have done it thousands of time know if this is a soft grease blockage, or a tree root intrusion, or an elbow, or a pile of sand, by feel, we can’t. We just know it’s not going forward. That experience is what may prevent a snake not moving forward into a state where you can’t go forward or pull it back because it twisted back on itself and winds and binds. You don’t want to rent a machine and be stuck 40′ in. I have also seen people getting seriously hurt by using these machines not knowing when to push and pull, and end up with the snake tearing up their hands when the latent twist energy releases. Be real careful.

Thanks again for you advice.

Greg

Doobie

I think Sami has the wisest advice and experience on this issue. I’d follow it. Don’t rent one as I suggested, get a pro. But you know that by now, I’m just concurring what he said.

So yesterday I was just lurking around the Bosch tools web page , I saw this , I don’t think it would be good for Greg to find plumbing drain lines , but I think it might have been good for Frank to find his heating in floor lines 🤷‍♂️
    I don’t know for sure , but it does look pretty cool ,
    I’d be curious to know how and try it out for myself ,
    Might just be good for seeing or finding those cold zones around windows and doors

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/new-products-gtc400c-206947-p/

Doobie

So yesterday I was just lurking around the Bosch tools web page , I saw this , I don’t think it would be good for Greg to find plumbing drain lines , but I think it might have been good for Frank to find his heating in floor lines 🤷‍♂️

Might just be good for seeing or finding those cold zones around windows and doors

I saw that too. Over a thousand bucks. Truly not a homeowner tool unless you have money to burn.

I saw that too. Over a thousand bucks. Truly not a homeowner tool unless you have money to burn.

Yeah , only if I was doing home inspection report or similar I invest in that , funny , after I posted it , last night I was seeing a few people from Bosch promoting it , I believe it was Bosch Europe though.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I think Sami has the wisest advice and experience on this issue. I’d follow it. Don’t rent one as I suggested, get a pro. But you know that by now, I’m just concurring what he said.

I thought I replied to this post yesterday.

I agree Sami has add some great advice to my issue. Just want to say thank you to everyone to add their opinion or advice to my issue. I will a hire pro to locate the sewer line and run the new sewer and plumbing lines.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Thanks Kevin! Your right I will get a pro to do the job. Yes Sami advice is the wisest and very helpful.

I don’t have money to burn really. I do like buying tools.

Greg

Doobie

You did. I just approved it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

You did. I just approved it.

Thanks Kevin. I thought I replied to that post.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.433 seconds