dcsimg

BOSCH D-tect 150 Wall/Floor Scanner

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

58chev

so.. you’ve had it for a day or so, what are your initial thoughts on the detect 150?

I’m starting to fear the worst right now having not heard from him by now.

You guys are relentless. LOL

@Doobie
    , When you mentioned “why did it come in a Kleenex box”, I guess for display purposes, the top of the box can be opened up so the carry handle of the bag is right there.

This is just my initial observation, I hope to have some time this weekend to give this scanner a complete test.

Has a nice protective carry bag, user manual and quick user guide.

First impressions:
    Very light, well balanced tool.
    Easy to read display. Easy to select for different scanning surfaces.
    Audible tone could be a bit louder.
    Does not like the signal of a WiFi Router, A warning appeared on the screen and the 150 shutdown. I was testing on a wall where the router was on the other side.

I only ran it on a couple of interior walls and basement floor for a few minutes.

Easily detects live electrical wires in a wall.
    Had no issues finding a void (drain pipe) in the basement slab.

Will take some practice on older (50 year old) walls, It clearly shows the 1/2″ space when running over a wood stud but the hollow space between studs is tricky. I had better luck locating a stud using the sign wave mode over the drywall mode.
    I found that on a newer wall with metal studs, it seems to be a bit more trickier. More practice for sure.

So far only thing that could be improved with the 150 is the live wire audible tone. I think in a noisy environment it would be hard to hear. Bit low in my opinion.

Like I mentioned, I hope to have more time on the weekend to test for a longer period of time and put some video together also.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Sounds like it is pretty good so far I’m looking forward to hearing more about it thanks.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Wow sounds like a winner to me, with all the features it’ll take a bit to learn it all. You seem to have better results then the Amazon reviews.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

First impressions sound pretty good, can’t wait to hear more

Wow sounds like a winner to me, with all the features it’ll take a bit to learn it all. You seem to have better results then the Amazon reviews.

Amazon reviews on tools you have to take with a grain of salt. It seems like a lot if reviews that are bad are just homeowner type people who don’t know how to properly use the tool.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Frank sounds promising so far. Nice to see it detects live wires easily.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Amazon reviews on tools you have to take with a grain of salt. It seems like a lot if reviews that are bad are just homeowner type people who don’t know how to properly use the tool.

And also written within an hour of getting it. Plus most people who are content with something dont bother to write a review, but people ticked off almost always want to make sure everyone hears it

And also written within an hour of getting it. Plus most people who are content with something dont bother to write a review, but people ticked off almost always want to make sure everyone hears it

Some good points about the reviews on some of the sites

@58Chev
    congrats again Frank, thanks for getting something up fast, I definitely will be following later to see and hear what your thoughts are after using this detection unit for awhile,

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah you guys are right, i like to use it as a measure to see what people think. i prefer to buy stuff that everyone raves about lol then you know you won’t have a problem.

Doobie

@Doobie, When you mentioned “why did it come in a Kleenex box”, I guess for display purposes, the top of the box can be opened up so the carry handle of the bag is right there.

That’s what I figured. Just seemed odd that they would do that, but then again it is a pretty pricey tool so I guess they package it to the hilt.

One test I’d like you to try Frank, if you please, is to see if you can detect the studs thru the exterior brick of a house. Mine are clay and have an irregular/bumpy surface though. I’ve read a complaint on amazon of how it doesn’t work well where concrete hollow are. I wonder if that’s also true with bricks that have those round hollow holes? I just took a pic of a stack of mine leftover in my yard below.

Another test is to find rebar in a concrete poured foundation above grade. If you can swing that too, that would be awesome to know.

I also thought of another test, although I’m thinking the pipe is buried too deep. The pipe in question I’m thinking about is my cold water feed pipe to the house from the street. Mine runs underneath the slab floor in my basement.

I was told some years ago that they are prone to eventually needing to be replaced in my area. My house is over 40 years old and if I ever had to do that, it may be nice to know where it in fact runs under my slab. I don’t know what is standard practice of how deep they are suppose to be under the slab, but there are a lot of things in my 1969 built house that they did shortcuts on, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it is not that deep below the slab rather than deeper as it may be have been required. This one’s no doubt a long shot that the scanner would find it.

EDIT….

As for the stud behind brick, homes in my area aren’t built like that. I have brick then 8″ block then just wood strapping. I will take it with me the next time I go visit my daughter and @r-ice, their home is brick then wood studs.

Just saw this written in the other thread.

Can I pay for the cab ride there? Lol!

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I also thought of another test, although I’m thinking the pipe is buried too deep. The pipe in question I’m thinking about is my cold water feed pipe to the house from the street. Mine runs underneath the slab floor in my basement.

I was told some years ago that they are prone to eventually needing to be replaced in my area. My house is over 40 years old and if I ever had to do that, it may be nice to know where it in fact runs under my slab. I don’t know what is standard practice of how deep they are suppose to be under the slab, but there are a lot of things in my 1969 built house that they did shortcuts on, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it is not that deep below the slab rather than deeper as it may be have been required. This one’s no doubt a long shot that the scanner would find it.

@Doobie
    I do know that from the service valve outside, it is typically 5 to 6 ft down. From there, straight to your foundation. Then up into your basement. So take a look at where the ground is in relation to your basement wall, then go down to reach 5 or 6 ft.

When I assisted in removing that part of the slab from @r-ice‘s home, the water pipe was about another ft or so under the slab. The scanner would not be able to detect that.

If the pipe that enters your home is copper, and never gets disturbed. you will not have to replace it. Only if it is an iron pipe.

My home built in 1953 has an original copper pipe that comes in and so did Aaron’s home which was built mid to late 50’s.

— Glenn Botting

Doobie

If the pipe that enters your home is copper, and never gets disturbed. you will not have to replace it. Only if it is an iron pipe.

I wish I would have asked to guy from the works dept what type it is. They had to change out my meter in the house about 8-10 years ago, and it was one of their guys who told me that a lot of the feeds need to get replaced in our subdivision built in 1969. I just never thought to ask what type of pipe it was from the street.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Frank, you mentioned that a couple of readings were “tricky”. What does that mean? Are you getting false positives?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Clev08
    Pro

The appearance reminds me a bit of the M12 scanner. Does this one have rollers on the back or soft pads?

Thanks Frank, can’t wait to see what happens when you play with it some more. First reviews are positive.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

For the short time you have had it, you have done a good variety of trials. I will be looking forward to your more in depth review as you gain more experience. This is a new tool to me, so I’m eager to know just what it can do.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Frank, you mentioned that a couple of readings were “tricky”. What does that mean? Are you getting false positives?

Yes, Interior walls (no insulation) that are only 4″, with the scanner on drywall setting it seems to go right past studs. When I put it on sign wave mode, it records the studs with no issues.

The appearance reminds me a bit of the M12 scanner. Does this one have rollers on the back or soft pads?

@Clev08
    Rollers on all 4 corners. The scanner knows when the rollers are slipping on smooth surface and bouncing on a ruff surface.

— Glenn Botting

I would imagine that it’s false positives . I really think there’s no 100 percent guarantee with any type of de-tect machine . Material itself has to much chemical makeup in it .

Always willing to learn .

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’m happy to hear that it seems to be mostly positive feedback you’ve got. Looking forward to an update this weekend!

Doobie

And why is the owners manual not available on the Bosch Product page. Wouldn’t that help sell more units. Especially for a tool like this. I know I’d prefer reading how it is supposed to work before ordering one.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/stud-finders-d-tect-150-29179-p/

Doobie

I wish I would have asked the guy from the works dept what type it is. They had to change out my meter in the house about 8-10 years ago, and it was one of their guys who told me that a lot of the feeds need to get replaced in our subdivision built in 1969. I just never thought to ask what type of pipe it was from the street.

Actually, wouldn’t the pipe type that comes up thru the slab in my basement be what it is in fact running to the street?

I went downstairs to go look at it, but I can’t see it well enough without removing the washing machine which I don’t care to do right now and will simply wait for another time. I don’t ‘need’ to know this right now anyways.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.523 seconds