dcsimg

Bosch colt router upgrades??

This topic contains 46 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  thedude306 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)
  • Author

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

@boschtoolsservice

Howdy,

I have been using my brothers Colt router for a couple weeks and I am wondering if there are any plans for an upgrade.

In particular an LED light and the swivel cord. Two items that are holding me back on purchasing one of my own. I have these features on the MR23 and now think they are a must have.

Thanks

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Nice way to bring up suggestions Brad. I agree that they would be great additions. Same could be said for other tools as well.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

In particular an LED light and the swivel cord. Two items that are holding me back on purchasing one of my own. I have these features on the MR23 and now think they are a must have.

I’d second this. I’ve had the Colt for a while, but after using my new MRC23 for the last few weeks I would love to have these features on the Colt, the LED in particular would be a huge benefit. (And maybe an 18v version while we’re asking 🙂 )

Great suggestions guys. I would vote for all those also. A cordless model would be really cool.

redwood
    Pro

I beleive they upgraded the Colt in the last couple of years. I know they added the plunge option, I’m not sure about the light.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

No light as far as I can tell. Nothing in the literature. I don’t think either of these things would need a big rework, they are just upgrades to the current model.

It seems that most models of other brands now have an LED.

Brad T

I would like to see DC on the fixed base. It is available on the plunge base, which is nice. You can buy little aftermarket lights and add them. Micro-Fence actually sells them, but only to customers who have bought the plunge base but you can see example of what they look like and how they are mounted.

Orange County, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

yes, DC on that base would also be VERY high on my list as well. I am using DC more and more as it just makes sense.

I’ll look into adding lights.

Brad T

but only to customers who have bought the plunge base

As in, micro fence’s plunge base or Bosch’s? It would be a bummer if you have to buy micro fence’s to use their lights, but I am betting that is the case… Regardless, glad to know this sort of thing is at least available as an aftermarket item

John S

Well they just will not sell the lights to you unless you buy the plunge base. But, my guess is these lights can be found somewhere. Add a magnet or screw them in some place and you will be good to go. I agree that the lights on the MR23 are pretty cool and I like them a lot more than I initially thought I would.

Orange County, CA

If the base has some iron on it how about a magnetic led that is so commonly available now?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Those are all options, but I guess the point of this thread is to see if Bosch is going to make these changes in the foreseeable future. I like the colt but won’t buy one unless they are.

I don’t want to farmer fix a Bosch router when a comparable item is available from another manufacture.

I hope we get a GOOD answer from CS..

Brad T

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Those are all options, but I guess the point of this thread is to see if Bosch is going to make these changes in the foreseeable future. I like the colt but won’t buy one unless they are.

I don’t want to farmer fix a Bosch router when a comparable item is available from another manufacture.

I hope we get a GOOD answer from CS..

Brad, I have never heard it referenced as a “farmer fix” I like that term better thany others I have heard. I hope you don’t mind if I adopt it. I grew up around farms and worked on lot of them and that phrase never came up. I have seen lots of things repaired with duct tape and bailing wire.

Well they just will not sell the lights to you unless you buy the plunge base. But, my guess is these lights can be found somewhere. Add a magnet or screw them in some place and you will be good to go. I agree that the lights on the MR23 are pretty cool and I like them a lot more than I initially thought I would.

Oh, how you guys like to rub in your MR23s to all of us wannabes… I see how it is 🙂

Not to derail, but I echo Kurt’s sentiments – I think the phrase farmer fix is super helpful without being derogatory…. definitely will keep this in mind!

And I can tell you now that CS probably won’t have anything shocking to say about an 18v router being in the works. If it is, it is under wraps. If it isn’t being pursued, it will be a statement about how it is not yet being done “at this time” – and leaves us with our hopes up only to be waiting forever and ever 🙁

John S

Oh, how you guys like to rub in your MR23s to all of us wannabes… I see how it is :)

Well — it looks like you have enough points to jump into the MR23 camp now, John…it is a nice router. The only short-coming on it for me is the center-scribe marks on the base. I know I can add them, but that is the biggest gripe I have so far about the router.

Orange County, CA

I have been using my brothers Colt router for a couple weeks and I am wondering if there are any plans for an upgrade.

Great question! At this time I haven’t heard about any upgrades to the Colt. I’ll check into this and see if anything is in the works and let you know.

Brad wrote:
    Great question! At this time I haven’t heard about any upgrades to the Colt. I’ll check into this and see if anything is in the works and let you know.

Man… seeing Bosch CS interact with us here at BTP still amazes me – another awesome feature to this site!

I think another way Bosch could ‘upgrade’ their routers is to include the necessary adapters (and centering cone?) as part of the kits themselves rather than making us buy them after the fact…. but that is not a product improvement as much as it is a bundling change.

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

My old router combo kit came with the centering cone and the template guide adapter. The new MR23 kit didn’t have any of that. All comes down to cost I guess.

Brad T

My old router combo kit came with the centering cone and the template guide adapter. The new MR23 kit didn’t have any of that. All comes down to cost I guess.

That is really interesting to know. I am sure you are right, but if I paid full price for a set like the MR23 Combo, it would be a little disappointing to have to buy these extra accessories instead of having them included at that price. Perhaps they could have an additional bundle with some of these sorts of things for just a bit more?

John S

I would like to see kits as well as they usually save you dough. For example, the Colt has a number of optional bases, bushings to add on for template routing, a centering cone, etc. One kit to get it all at a lower price than separate pieces…I would have been in on that. Too late for me as I bought these add-ons separately already.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.524 seconds