dcsimg

Bosch CAG180 18v 4½" Lithium-Ion Grinder – Review/Overview

This topic contains 96 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

well the new grinder is performing the same as the old one. So I think it’s just cordless grinders are good for those one or two off occasional use, but if you are in the field doing in place modifications for more than a few minutes you need a corded.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

well the new grinder is performing the same as the old one. So I think it’s just cordless grinders are good for those one or two off occasional use, but if you are in the field doing in place modifications for more than a few minutes you need a corded.

OH well , I guess it gets categorized as a power hungry tool for sure then.

Doobie
    Pro

Had a feeling that’s what was going on. So they replaced it with a new one? That’s still good customer service rather than just fluffing it off giving you the same one back with an explanation if that’s what they did.

I’m sure you’ll still find lots of use for a cordless model. I know I have and typically I don’t use a grinder very often. Myself, I’ve gone years at times never needing one at all, but the last couple of years I’ve used them quite a bit.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Had a feeling that’s what was going on. So they replaced it with a new one? That’s still good customer service rather than just fluffing it off giving you the same one back with an explanation if that’s what they did.

I’m sure you’ll still find lots of use for a cordless model. I know I have and typically I don’t use a grinder very often. Myself, I’ve gone years at times never needing one at all, but the last couple of years I’ve used them quite a bit.

It will be nice to have a cordless to use if I have one or two tiny quick things that I need to do and the cordless is close by. However that’s really not my work pattern as most of the time unless planned ahead I use the tools I have in my vehicle and nothing else, so I put all the tools in there to address 80-90% of my needs and do not put duplicate tools in there. Unlike at a home you might have several similar tools to choose I usually just pick one that works the best for me into the mobile tool cases and that’s what I use. For now it’s back to my Makita corded grinder and the Bosch grinder, battery and charger will go into my garage, right next to the Freak and the Bosch compact saw.

My most frequent usage for a grinder is cutting thick plaster with embedded lath. This cannot be done with OMTs or sawzall. Half the time it’s on walls half the time on ceilings. The dust coming down when making such a cut requires me to use dust collection which tethered me to a hose, and a cord, while standing on a ladder, in gloves, with an overall, respirator, face shield, hat etc…while making the cut holding the grinder while dust rain down on me. A cordless would make it more convenient with one less cord, and a good dust shroud that captures more dust would make less of a mess. Bosch makes a good dust shroud, hence I selected the Bosch grinder. But the short battery life makes this not practical.

May be the X-lock grinder will be a game changer. No idea. I will wait to see if that may be worth considering. Otherwise I don’t really have any cordless Bosch stuff that is able to make it into my vehicle for day to day use. I might give all the Bosch cordless stuff to one of my helpers.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

By the way, I also did a no load test. Just let the grinder with no wheel not cutting or grinding anything run and it ran for 45 minutes.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

By the way, I also did a no load test. Just let the grinder with no wheel not cutting or grinding anything run and it ran for 45 minutes.

Did you try this with both the grinders , the old one and the replacement one
    Maybe someone else can try this too

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Yup, did it for both old and new, no difference. The battery life of about 3 minutes max I was getting, is indeed the battery life to expect if you are cutting metal. I also tested this with two brand new CORE 6.3ah batteries with the same result.

Doobie
    Pro

Yup, did it for both old and new, no difference. The battery life of about 3 minutes max I was getting, is indeed the battery life to expect if you are cutting metal. I also tested this with two brand new CORE 6.3ah batteries with the same result.

Wow. That’s not a good run time. And you are getting this runtime when using it for cutting thru plaster and lathe I assume?

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Oh well, at least you know what to expect from cordless grinders.
    Thanks for the info.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Oh well, at least you know what to expect fromBosch cordless grinders.
    Thanks for the info.

Fixed it for you,,

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is incredible. I guess we are not ready to cut the cord on heavy duty grinding.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Oh well, at least you know what to expect from<strong class=”d4pbbc-bold”>Bosch cordless grinders.
    Thanks for the info.

Fixed it for you,,

🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤫

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤫

🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤫

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Oh well, at least you know what to expect from<strong class=”d4pbbc-bold”>Bosch cordless grinders.
    Thanks for the info.

Fixed it for you,,

Well, here is a video of Milwaukee M18 (not sure if it’s FUEL or not), and not clear if he is using the 5 or 6ah battery. Anyway, that lasted about 3 minutes – although I am not sure the guy knows how to use a grinder or he is just in an awkward operating angle for the camera.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Here is another video of four brushless cordless grinders – Bosch, Hitachi, Milwaukee FUEL, Dewalt Flex Volt. They all run about 3-4 minutes, brushless.

So it’s probably not Bosch, may be they all come out of the same Chinese factory LOL?

But then Bosch’s own ad for the grinder says “Optimized gear structure – delivers long runtime for all-day grinding tasks”

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Here is another video of four brushless cordless grinders – Bosch, Hitachi, Milwaukee FUEL, Dewalt Flex Volt. They all run about 3-4 minutes, brushless.

That’s just crazy. Oh well I guess that’s the way it is.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

That’s just crazy. Oh well I guess that’s the way it is.

I guess that’s what it is ,
    So depending on what you want to cut , a better option might be one of the cordless metal circular saws 🤔 I think I might have to pick up one of them.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.549 seconds