dcsimg

Bosch CAG180 18v 4½" Lithium-Ion Grinder – Review/Overview

This topic contains 96 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Was in Fry’s this evening, and finally noticed an end cap of Bosch tools, including the 6.3ah battery with charger kit much discussed in this thread. The price was $149.99.

What’s an end cap
    That’s pretty pricey just for one battery and charger
    I bought a twin battery packs 6.3 and the fast charger 1880 for 179.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Was in Fry’s this evening, and finally noticed an end cap of Bosch tools, including the 6.3ah battery with charger kit much discussed in this thread. The price was $149.99.

What’s an end cap
    That’s pretty pricey just for one battery and charger
    I bought a twin battery packs 6.3 and the fast charger 1880 for 179.

An endcap is the display at the end of an aisle at a store where the stuff is more visible. Typically they put promotional items there.

The $149.99 is the “regular price”. Fry’s usually do multiple sales throughout the year and the price would drop to $49.99 + free shipping for this item and would sold out in a matter of hours. I posted this deal in another thread a few times. I also noticed that they put the cordless grinder and compact saw om sale for around the same price ($49.99, $59.99) a lot too.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

OK just saw this video.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”#2 . Run Time Testing Bosch Core 6.3ah Vs Earlier Bosch 4ah Battery .” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/w7ao-rZsNdY?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    He was using a GWS18V-125SC which is a more advanced grinder being brushless.

My GWS18V-45 is brushed.

He was able to make 7 complete cut through a 1-1/8″ rebar with a fully charged 6.3ah battery. I did 10 cuts through 5/8 rebars and that’s probably right considering mine is brushed. Doubt the new grinder Bosch is sending me will make a difference.

I’d say that’s pretty good for a cordless tool
    I mean it’s over 1 inch
    Besides if I had to do more than a few , I’d be sure to have a chop saw or otherwise
    And if it was to far away from power , I guess we would have made sure to have them done before getting out in the field without power.
    I believe that’s Gerry I think he’s a long time member here.

The trick is to have to determine what’s “more than a few”. For rebars I typically use 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″. He was burning one bar of battery per cut through the 1-1/8″ bar.

If I am doing say say 20 cuts (which is not much) I can’t use this cordless grinder unless I have three fully charged 6.3ah on standby.

Chop saw is too heavy to haul out there just to make a few cuts like this, and subjected to rain and not worth the trouble.

Cutting ahead of time is not always desirable if you have odd cuts which is easier to place first then cut the excess in place.

In any case it’s not really about rebars it’s about surprisingly short run time. That other video the guy ran out of juice after 3 minutes of grinding welds. I have a rusted iron post outside that I wanted to get the rust off this past weekend and I debated using the cordless grinder but decided to go back to my beat up corded Makita grinder instead because I didn’t want to deal with not finishing due to battery dying. Basically I think a corded grinder is more practical unless you are truly doing little odds and ends, or if you have a bunch of batteries.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

By the way I did something galactically stupid last week when testing this grinder.

First, I did a wheel change with the battery on…which we know we shouldn’t do but often times I do.

Second, I must have been really tired or absent minded, I put the spanner wrench onto the flange to unlock it, and you know where you have to press on the button to stop the flange from spinning? Well, for whatever reason I cannot even explain, I pressed the actual on/off switch instead. Don’t ask me why. So for about a second my spanner wrench was on the flange fighting the wheel that’s been switched on. My bad. I wouldn’t have done that with a paddle switch.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

OK just saw this video.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”#2 . Run Time Testing Bosch Core 6.3ah Vs Earlier Bosch 4ah Battery .” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/w7ao-rZsNdY?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    He was using a GWS18V-125SC which is a more advanced grinder being brushless.

My GWS18V-45 is brushed.

He was able to make 7 complete cut through a 1-1/8″ rebar with a fully charged 6.3ah battery. I did 10 cuts through 5/8 rebars and that’s probably right considering mine is brushed. Doubt the new grinder Bosch is sending me will make a difference.

I’d say that’s pretty good for a cordless tool
    I mean it’s over 1 inch
    Besides if I had to do more than a few , I’d be sure to have a chop saw or otherwise
    And if it was to far away from power , I guess we would have made sure to have them done before getting out in the field without power.
    I believe that’s Gerry I think he’s a long time member here.

The trick is to have to determine what’s “more than a few”. For rebars I typically use 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″. He was burning one bar of battery per cut through the 1-1/8″ bar.

If I am doing say say 20 cuts (which is not much) I can’t use this cordless grinder unless I have three fully charged 6.3ah on standby.

Chop saw is too heavy to haul out there just to make a few cuts like this, and subjected to rain and not worth the trouble.

Cutting ahead of time is not always desirable if you have odd cuts which is easier to place first then cut the excess in place.

In any case it’s not really about rebars it’s about surprisingly short run time. That other video the guy ran out of juice after 3 minutes of grinding welds. I have a rusted iron post outside that I wanted to get the rust off this past weekend and I debated using the cordless grinder but decided to go back to my beat up corded Makita grinder instead because I didn’t want to deal with not finishing due to battery dying. Basically I think a corded grinder is more practical unless you are truly doing little odds and ends, or if you have a bunch of batteries.

I think you really don’t like the Bosch grinder 🤫😁,
    It seems like you would be better off with the Milwaukee cordless grinder , or just use the corded model if the Bosch is a pita to use , and probably better power and no downtime with the cords. Also you could get the paddle switch
    Good thing you didn’t get hurt with the spanner wrench ,

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

think you really don’t like the Bosch grinder ,
    It seems like you would be better off with the Milwaukee cordless grinder

I am on the Milwaukee platform, but their angle grinder any OMT I don’t like. Was hoping Bosch can fill the grinder need, but the main reason to try Bosch out is the cutting dust shroud.

Not sure other cordless grinders would do much better. That review I posted up top said the Hitachi grinder quit after two minutes. So this may be a limitation for all brands of grinders.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Not sure other cordless grinders would do much better. That review I posted up top said the Hitachi grinder quit after two minutes. So this may be a limitation for all brands of grinders.

That is a real shame. Guess you’ll just have to keep an eye on the reviews.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

think you really don’t like the Bosch grinder ,
    It seems like you would be better off with the Milwaukee cordless grinder

I am on the Milwaukee platform, but their angle grinder any OMT I don’t like. Was hoping Bosch can fill the grinder need, but the main reason to try Bosch out is the cutting dust shroud.

I knew you were on the Milwaukee platform
    How come you didn’t like the grinder from them.

I think that’s about right , they are high power drawing tools

I definitely want to get the Bosch cutting shroud.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I didn’t like the fit of the Milwaukee cutting shroud (which I bought then returned) on the m18 grinder. I also didn’t like the feel and form factor if the m18 grinder. The m18 OMT I don’t care for either. I do like the Bosch grinder cutting shroud, which doesn’t fit all models of Bosch grinders. I am going to wait for the replacement grinder to arrive and give it another go, but most likely it is just what it is. The Makita circular saw CB mentioned that be used as a regular CS but also can be mated with a track is appealing, so in order to not exceed two cordless platforms I will most likely get off the Bosch cordless platform and look at the Makita grinder, OMT, CS and some lawn tools. My Bosch grinder, hacksaw and freak with batteries, all hardly if ever used will go to a neighbor.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I will most likely get off the Bosch cordless platform

Limiting yourself to only 2 battery platforms it is tough to stay with Bosch as their tool selection is limited compared to others. Makita and Milwaukee probably have the most extensive line of cordless tools.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Limiting yourself to only 2 battery platforms it is tough to stay with Bosch as their tool selection is limited compared to others. Makita and Milwaukee probably have the most extensive line of cordless tools.

Yes. It’s difficult , even DeWalt have plenty of choice , I could imagine if Bosch had introduced similar tools like the other manufacturers
    They definitely would be a bigger player in the cordless tools industry.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Yes. It’s difficult , even DeWalt have plenty of choice , I could imagine if Bosch had introduced similar tools like the other manufacturers
    They definitely would be a bigger player in the cordless tools industry.

I am already on the Milwaukee platform, and most likely would add Makita as well. Then Bosch and Ridgid will be phased out or reduced to occasional home use. I will still buy corded Bosch. I just don’t have room to store too many cordless platform tools in my vehicle so that’s my #1 optimization.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

By the way I called Bosch today to ask about the replacement grinder and they said they shipped it out to me already but they can’t find it because the tracking number shows no record of this shipment and may be FedEx messed up so they are sending me a tracking number so I can call FedEx myself to inquire what happened to my grinder.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

My replacement grinder arrived today.

Anyone know if the replacement tool is a new or reconditioned tool? The tool looks new, the flanges have some scratches on it. Will be able to give it a test soon. Hopefully it will perform better.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

My replacement grinder arrived today.

Anyone know if the replacement tool is a new or reconditioned tool? The tool looks new, the flanges have some scratches on it. Will be able to give it a test soon. Hopefully it will perform better.

Congrats and good luck with the new grinder
    Looking forward to hearing what happens.

CB
    Pro

I can’t imagine that it would make much difference if a grinder is brand new or reconditioned by Bosch. Grinders are one of the quickest tools to get scratched and etched and paint chipped and gritty and dust coated from gear box oil effusion mixing with the grinder work generated dust that forms a permanent paste that adheres to every non reachable nook and cranny.

If it works, run it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think it’s the batteries,, I think they are old and mine loses charge a week after they are charged.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I think it’s the batteries,, I think they are old and mine loses charge a week after they are charged.

The two batteries I tried the grinder on are new.

One was a 6.3ah battery I bought to use with the Bosch compact saw and the other came with the Freak kit I won. Both tools I put away after doing some tests against existing tools I had, so I end up with two hardly used batteries. Both of these batteries are practically new and they both had the same performance. I don’t think it’s the batteries, I think the grinder just sucks the life out of batteries like nothing else.

Doobie
    Pro

One was a 6.3ah battery I bought to use with the Bosch compact saw and the other came with the Freak kit I won. Both tools I put away after doing some tests against existing tools I had, so I end up with two hardly used batteries. Both of these batteries are practically new and they both had the same performance. I don’t think it’s the batteries, I think the grinder just sucks the life out of batteries like nothing else.

My 18 V grinder is a power hog. I don’t use it a lot, but I recall last year when repeatedly cutting rebar the bars go down fast.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

My 18 V grinder is a power hog. I don’t use it a lot, but I recall last year when repeatedly cutting rebar the bars go down fast.

How many pieces of rebar were you able to cut , you can compare with Miamicuse

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.527 seconds