dcsimg

Bosch CAG180 18v 4½" Lithium-Ion Grinder – Review/Overview

This topic contains 96 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Not sure if there is another vehicle to contact someone technical at Bosch to ask what I want to ask. But if the youtube video I saw they got 3 minutes of grinding time, then may be that’s what you get.

That to me just isn’t worth the effort to go cordless for only 3 min of run time.

I’ve only used my 18v grinder one time. Not sure on run time. But do know it ran more than three minute. Down side is how long the 6.3 battery takes to charge. Takes way more time to charge than deplete.

The 6.3ah takes a good 45 minutes to charge.

If you ever use your grinder again try to see if you can use it to grind or cut for a longer period of time. I would be curious how much you get out of it per charge.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I did hear back from Bosch tech support yesterday. Submitted request on 4/26 via web site, web site sent confirmation back said will respond within 48 hours. I got a reply back on 5/9.

The response asked me to try another battery. In my original inquiry I told them I already tried another battery and got the same performance. So I responded saying I did that already and no difference. Makes about 10 cuts and that’s it.

Second response was do I want to file a warranty claim? If so please provide name, place of purchase, date of purchase etc…

I replied back and said I don’t know that the item is defective. May be this is by design, hence my inquiry originally, should I be able to make more than 10 cuts of 5/8″ rebars with this grinder with a turbo diamond blade when paired with a fully charged 6.3ah CORE battery? I also mentioned that the tool was registered in my Provantage account already and provided by Provantage account #.

Third reply back was they would be happy to register the tool for me in my Provantage account if I provide them with a copy of the original receipt that way I can file a claim on the grinder.

I replied back and said again it was already registered in my Provantage account. I gave her the account number, model number, date code etc…but I reiterated my original question, should I be able to cut….or was that performance what I should be expecting.

Fourth reply back was finally a no you should be able to cut longer than that. They suggest I send in my drill to Bosch for service.

I replied back and said it’s not a drill, it’s a grinder. You mean I should service the grinder because it’s defective? Any chance both batteries I used are defective?

So obviously I am talking to an administrative person. Don’t know if I should be sending the grinder in for service. The grinder is the only cordless Bosch tool I actually [want to] use. I have Bosch drills, impacts, compact saw but they do not get used at all due to less performance compared to other brands I have. So if this grinder doesn’t cut it then I am switching out of the Bosch cordless altogether. I still use the corded Bosch rotary hammer all the time.

Just ran across your experience with the CAG180. I think there’s something wrong with your grinder. I have a couple of this model and a buddy of mine each used CAG180 with 4AH batteries to make oven 20 full cuts of .75″ rebar each. FWIW, we were using some pretty fancy thin kerf Diablo wheels on them.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Just ran across your experience with the CAG180. I think there’s something wrong with your grinder. I have a couple of this model and a buddy of mine each used CAG180 with 4AH batteries to make oven 20 full cuts of .75″ rebar each. FWIW, we were using some pretty fancy thin kerf Diablo wheels on them.

Thanks for the post! To clarify I am using the GWS18V-45 grinder. My understanding is it has the same motor and internals as the CAG180. If you can make 20 full cuts through 3/4″ bars and I am only doing 10 partial cuts through 5/8″ then it’s significant.

Yes the blades could make a difference too. I wasn’t using thin metal blades, but thin turbo diamond blades.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I wasn’t using thin metal blades, but thin turbo diamond blades.

I think that blade is for masonry and not steel. I use the black wheels for steel and also the Lenox MetalMax blades for steel.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Just ran across your experience with the CAG180. I think there’s something wrong with your grinder.

Could be, maybe you should have it checked out or the battery maybe bad?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Thanks for the post! To clarify I am using the GWS18V-45 grinder. My understanding is it has the same motor and internals as the CAG180. If you can make 20 full cuts through 3/4″ bars and I am only doing 10 partial cuts through 5/8″ then it’s significant.

Yes the blades could make a difference too. I wasn’t using thin metal blades, but thin turbo diamond blades.

Maybe give it a try with the thin metal blade and see if it makes any difference.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I think that blade is for masonry and not steel. I use the black wheels for steel and also the Lenox MetalMax blades for steel.

It is for masonry but sometimes I cheat if I just need to quickly cut some metal. When I cut stucco or plaster with it most times it has to go through embedded metal lathe.

I will try a thin steel blade and see.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Maybe give it a try with the thin metal blade and see if it makes any difference.

I will try a thin steel blade and see.

Maybe the new blade will help.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

A new thin metal blade did worse. Barely making eight cuts before it died. My diamond blade did better.

Bosch offered to replace the grinder so I will wait for a new one. I don’t think it will make a difference though. The grinder may just be a juice sucker being brushed and an old tool that hasn’t been updated.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

A new thin metal blade did worse.

what kind did you use?

Dirty

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

A new thin metal blade did worse. Barely making eight cuts before it died. My diamond blade did better.

Bosch offered to replace the grinder so I will wait for a new one. I don’t think it will make a difference though. The grinder may just be a juice sicker being brushed and an old tool that hasn’t been updated.

Something definitely sounds strange
    I’ll be curious to know if it does any better.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Man that is terrible. I’d almost say the tool is bad.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sounds like the batteries are bad.

Dirty

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

A new thin metal blade did worse.

what kind did you use?

Ridgid 4.5″ metal cutting diamond blade. I also tried with one of those cheaper $5 abrasive thin disc I have but I don’t generally like to use those.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Sounds like the batteries are bad.

Tried two batteries, same performance.

Take a look at this video.

Watch at the 3 minute mark forward for about 30 seconds. They were able to run the Bosch grinder with a 6.3ah battery and got 3 minutes 30 seconds out of it until the battery died.

I am thinking this is most likely what is to be expected. They tested a Hitachi grinder and it lasted two minutes. May be grinders are not cut out to be battery operated yet if you are doing something extensive. A few cuts here and there fine but if you are trying to clean up rust on an outdoor iron fence I think a corded grinder is needed.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

OK just saw this video.

He was using a GWS18V-125SC which is a more advanced grinder being brushless.

My GWS18V-45 is brushed.

He was able to make 7 complete cut through a 1-1/8″ rebar with a fully charged 6.3ah battery. I did 10 cuts through 5/8 rebars and that’s probably right considering mine is brushed. Doubt the new grinder Bosch is sending me will make a difference.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

OK just saw this video.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”#2 . Run Time Testing Bosch Core 6.3ah Vs Earlier Bosch 4ah Battery .” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/w7ao-rZsNdY?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    He was using a GWS18V-125SC which is a more advanced grinder being brushless.

My GWS18V-45 is brushed.

He was able to make 7 complete cut through a 1-1/8″ rebar with a fully charged 6.3ah battery. I did 10 cuts through 5/8 rebars and that’s probably right considering mine is brushed. Doubt the new grinder Bosch is sending me will make a difference.

I’d say that’s pretty good for a cordless tool
    I mean it’s over 1 inch
    Besides if I had to do more than a few , I’d be sure to have a chop saw or otherwise
    And if it was to far away from power , I guess we would have made sure to have them done before getting out in the field without power.
    I believe that’s Gerry I think he’s a long time member here.

CB
    Pro

Was in Fry’s this evening, and finally noticed an end cap of Bosch tools, including the 6.3ah battery with charger kit much discussed in this thread. The price was $149.99.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Was in Fry’s this evening, and finally noticed an end cap of Bosch tools, including the 6.3ah battery with charger kit much discussed in this thread. The price was $149.99.

Glad to see they are finally making it into the stores.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.591 seconds