dcsimg

Bosch CAG180 18v 4½" Lithium-Ion Grinder – Review/Overview

This topic contains 85 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 6 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Thanks, Dirty.

Did you mean the next grinder will be corded?

Resident Sign Guy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great review Moze. Cordless grinders have come a long way. The Bosch unit looks great and when I purchase one later this year it will be this model.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Thanks, Bill! I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

Resident Sign Guy

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

What is the capacity of battery used and how long is the runtime ?

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Strange that all their corded grinders have the toolless guard adjustment, but they skipped on the cordless.

I’ve considered getting this, but ended up with a corded instead since I don’t need a grinder far away from a receptacle.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve considered getting this, but ended up with a corded instead since I don’t need a grinder far away from a receptacle.

I don’t use a grinder that far from a receptacle either, but not having cords on the floor or getting in the way is the reason I went cordless. You just pick up the tool and use it. No fiddling with cords.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

True, same reason I got the cordless circular saw. Maybe after I upgrade my table saw, which I use a lot more often.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks, Dirty.

Did you mean the next grinder will be corded?

I sorry about that I wasn’t subscribed.
    No I ment it will be brushless, and it is.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

*** OLD THREAD WARNING ***

Nice video, it’s great to see it in action! I wonder how many cuts you could do on the rebar with one 4.0Ah battery?

I have the GWS18V-45 which is the same with some minor feature differences. It can make up to TEN cuts on 5/8″ rebars before a fully charged 6.3ah CORE battery is completely depleted. Not complete cuts, just enough cutting into the rebar that allows you to bend it off.

I know it’s an old thread but I have the answer so here it is.

If anyone else have this grinder (or the GWS18V-45 or 50, or a few other ones that Bosch made which are basically the same inside, except for BT, EC ready etc…), I do have a question on the slide switch – how do you RELIABLY lock the switch to on? Is it just repeatedly try to push it up and press and when that doesn’t stick you try it again and again and again until it locks once out of 3-5 times? Am I missing something here? Or do I have a defective slide switch? or this is a poor slide switch design compounded more when gloves are worn?

CB
    Pro

I do have a question on the slide switch – how do you RELIABLY lock the switch to on? Is it just repeatedly try to push it up and press and when that doesn’t stick you try it again and again and again until it locks once out of 3-5 times? Am I missing something here? Or do I have a defective slide switch? or this is a poor slide switch design compounded more when gloves are worn?

You have identified two of the reasons why I only use paddle switch angle grinders.

1. Paddle switches stop the go switch the instant the grinder is let go. Whether the grinder is knocked out of the grip, or the operator slips, or the operator gets hurt and reactively releases grip, the grinder stops turning.

2. Slide switches try to mimic this safety aspects by making the slide switches easier to slide off than to slide on. MUCH easier to slide off. Barely touch them and off they go.

Older slide switch designs were not this touchy, but they were not as safe either. Hence for me, and for the policies of several work industrial work environments that I’ve encountered, a paddle switch grinder is required.

Bosch seems to be well aware of this, and created an entire webpage devoted to identifying their paddle switch type grinders amidst their cordless line, which can be seen here:

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/cordless-angle-grinders-with-paddle-switch-37622-c/

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I prefer a paddle switch as well.

When I was deciding which grinder to go with, the dust cutting shroud Bosch made DA50DC was the main reason I choose the Bosch grinder. At the time they had several variation of the cordless 4.5″ or 5″ versions. I think the paddle switch version was three times more expensive (because it also included some bluetooth connect ready features, and a brushless motor I think) so I went with the basic version.

The slide switch is difficult. I have a corded Makita grinder with a slide switch and never had a problem with it with gloves on.

Right now I am waiting to see what this new 6″ Xlock grinder will be like…main thing is whether it has a good cutting shroud companion, has a paddle switch, and how difficult it is to adjust the wheel guard. If that doesn’t fit my needs then I might switch to Makita or Dewalt as my second 18V platform after Milwaukee.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

*** OLD THREAD WARNING ***

Nice video, it’s great to see it in action! I wonder how many cuts you could do on the rebar with one 4.0Ah battery?

I have the GWS18V-45 which is the same with some minor feature differences. It can make up to TEN cuts on 5/8″ rebars before a fully charged 6.3ah CORE battery is completely depleted. Not complete cuts, just enough cutting into the rebar that allows you to bend it off.

I know it’s an old thread but I have the answer so here it is.

If anyone else have this grinder (or the GWS18V-45 or 50, or a few other ones that Bosch made which are basically the same inside, except for BT, EC ready etc…), I do have a question on the slide switch – how do you RELIABLY lock the switch to on? Is it just repeatedly try to push it up and press and when that doesn’t stick you try it again and again and again until it locks once out of 3-5 times? Am I missing something here? Or do I have a defective slide switch? or this is a poor slide switch design compounded more when gloves are worn?

I received the cordless one earlier last year and I also bought a 4 1/2 years ago and never had any issues with the switch , I’ve used both cutting plenty of porcelain tile and even 1 and 3/4 paving blocks I figured that all the dust getting caked on would be an issue , however nothing so far
    The only issues is the cordless tends to build up lots of dust around the batteries , I often use my blower to blow them clean
    I will definitely use the dust extractor for it from now on

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I received the cordless one earlier last year and I also bought a 4 1/2 years ago and never had any issues with the switch , I’ve used both cutting plenty of porcelain tile and even 1 and 3/4 paving blocks I figured that all the dust getting caked on would be an issue , however nothing so far
    The only issues is the cordless tends to build up lots of dust around the batteries , I often use my blower to blow them clean
    I will definitely use the dust extractor for it from now on

Thanks Brian.

So just to confirm, you are able to switch your Bosch grinder to ON NO LOCK and ON WITH LOCK reliably, without the switch slipping back, while I had to switch it on and try to lock it and 9 out of 10 times it slips back when I let go. My 10+ year old Makita slide switch still work all the time. Like CB said earlier a paddle switch is better but that Bosch slide switch really sucks, but I don’t know if I have a bad switch or not.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is some poor battery life right there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

CB
    Pro

That is some poor battery life right there.

Agreed.

Is that why Fry’s sells the 6.3ah battery for $45, and includes a charger as further incentive? (or as required equipment).

With only 10 cuts of #5 to “completely depleted”, the charger would get more run time than the battery.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Don’t know if this has anything to do with Fry’s discounting the 6.3ah battery+charger.

I am disappointed in the run time, yes I have heard others mentioned grinders would eat up batteries quickly, but even with that expectation baked in I am still disappointed.

I have two 6.3ah batteries. So I swapped one out with the other. The runtime is about the same. So it’s not like I have a bad battery…unless they are both bad.

I did some Googling, and found a couple of youtube videos of grinder reviews where the Bosch grinder I have was one of those reviewed. They used a 6.3ah battery and did some grinding of steel welds and was able to get a little over 3 minutes of runtime grinding. I am kind of thinking this is about right when compared to my 10 cuts through about 60% of 5/8 rebars. So may be my expectation needs to be adjusted lower.

I also contacted Bosch at the BoschTools.com web site using the Contact Us option:

https://www.boschtools.com/webform/us/en/contact.htm

selecting the Performance/Design/Safety as the category option, and basically asked them the same question, “Should a fully charged 6.3ah when paired with the GWS18V-45 grinder using a 4.5″ turbo diamond blade, be able to make more than ten cuts (not complete cuts, just about 60-70% so it can be bent off) through 5/8″ rebars”. I sent that in last week, got the auto-confirmation back that “Please allow up to 48 hours for our service technicians to get back to you.” and it’s been 48 hours times 3 so far. Nothing. May be that web submittal goes to never never land.

Not sure if there is another vehicle to contact someone technical at Bosch to ask what I want to ask. But if the youtube video I saw they got 3 minutes of grinding time, then may be that’s what you get.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Not sure if there is another vehicle to contact someone technical at Bosch to ask what I want to ask. But if the youtube video I saw they got 3 minutes of grinding time, then may be that’s what you get.

That to me just isn’t worth the effort to go cordless for only 3 min of run time.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

That to me just isn’t worth the effort to go cordless for only 3 min of run time.

I’ve only used my 18v grinder one time. Not sure on run time. But do know it ran more than three minute. Down side is how long the 6.3 battery takes to charge. Takes way more time to charge than deplete.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Down side is how long the 6.3 battery takes to charge. Takes way more time to charge than deplete.

That is the weakness on big batteries like that. They do take a while to recharge.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thumbs up on the review Moze. Thanks.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.654 seconds