dcsimg

Bosch CAG180 18v 4½" Lithium-Ion Grinder – Review/Overview

This topic contains 96 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Moze
    Dallas, TX

A grinder isn’t one of those tools that I use every day, but I do use one occasionally. When I do need one, just like with my other tools, I want a quality, reliable tool with some of the best features on the market. The Bosch CAG180 fits the bill.

I previously had the DeWalt 20v Max DCG412 and it worked well. However, there were two caveats that had me looking to replace it. The first is that the DeWalt, due to it’s longer body is a little more cumbersome to hold and to operate one handed. It’s not a huge strike against it, but for my use, the more compact a tool is, the better. The Bosch is a few inches shorter which makes it easier to operate with one hand. The second strike against the DeWalt is that it maxes out at 7k RPM. The Bosch also maxes out at 10k RPM. To me, that’s a significant difference. Grinding or cutting often seems to put the user in awkward positions, so the faster the tool works, the better.

I ran a couple of really quick tests. The first was on 3/8″ rebar and the second was on 2½” galvanized fence post. It worked flawlessly on both and cut through each item smoothly. It obviously throws a ton of sparks, like any other grinder. So if this is a concern, investing in a band saw would be a good idea (Bosch makes a great cordless one, by the way. My review can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN_iH02Sjjo).

There are a couple of things that I thought could use improving on the Bosch grinder. The first is that both guards (it comes with two) require that you use an Allen wrench (included) to fasten them onto the tool. The DeWalt guard has a small lever on it that clamps it in place. The second is that while there are two rubber ‘clips’ that are meant to hold the Allen wrench, they don’t hold it very well. An integrated tension sleeve (similar to the bit holder on Bosch’s socket ready impact) would have been a nice touch.

All in all though, it seems like a great tool. As one of the leading manufactures of concrete tools, I expect it will hold up well over time.

Click below for a quick video.

Resident Sign Guy

Nice review. Guess that was a great deal

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Thanks for the review Moze! It sounds like an easy choice for anyone using the Bosch 18v platform.

Why are there two guards? Are they different?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Oh how I loath the guard on that grinder. Especially after having the two on my bosch corded units. Lets just say if I could take it off, I would 😉

If they fixed the first problem, you wouldn’t need the allen key. Kill two birds with one stone!

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Nice video, it’s great to see it in action! I wonder how many cuts you could do on the rebar with one 4.0Ah battery?

A Working Pro since 2004

Just went and ordered one, thanks for video Moze

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Did you order from CPO also?

A Working Pro since 2004

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Another nice review Moze. Looks like a nice grinder.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Nice review

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Nice video, it’s great to see it in action! I wonder how many cuts you could do on the rebar with one 4.0Ah battery?

I don’t know but coming from my makita this grinder is in it’s own league.

I can get a day, maybe a day and half of use out of it. And that’s doing stuff like this.

Untitled by thedude306[/url], on Flickr

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wow, that’s very impressive @thedude306 it looks like it can handle quite a bit of work.

A Working Pro since 2004

staker
    Pro

Thanks for the review it look like another great cordless tool from bosch. It would be great at camp the less I have to run the gen the better.

Yes, esp with the 4.0 batteries, can’t see how it can be a bad deal. My makita is pretty beat up. Besides summer is almost here, if our son works 1/2 as hard as he did last year at least he can have a decent set of tools to be resonsible for ( Makita), and I get new tools..Bosch. But I think it will do him good to be responsible for his own tools

KenW
    Pro

Nice review for the grinder.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

looks good Moze thanks for posting

Can’t wait, mine got shipped today

Another great review moze . Liked that you shown it cutting material.

Always willing to learn .

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Yes, esp with the 4.0 batteries, can’t see how it can be a bad deal. My makita is pretty beat up. Besides summer is almost here, if our son works 1/2 as hard as he did last year at least he can have a decent set of tools to be resonsible for ( Makita), and I get new tools..Bosch. But I think it will do him good to be responsible for his own tools

Easier to learn how to take care of them if they are your own. That will be a nice gift to your Son and a great Bosch gift to you also 😉

A Working Pro since 2004

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Thanks guys!

Resident Sign Guy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Great review Moze, thanks. I now have 3 cordless grinders and know that this is a tool that bogs down easily so the next cordless grinder will be cordless for me.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.407 seconds