dcsimg

Bosch branded T Handle Tanos Systainer 2… not Sortimo L-Boxxes

This topic contains 48 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro

I have both those totes. One is a Festool branded one, the other is a slightly cheaper but the same physically except its badging, made by Tanos.

Kevin, does the handle on top pivot flat? Also, what’s inside these totes? Do they have any attachment or something to drop in a dozen or so vertical tools like hammers, chisels, pliers, pry bars etc…?

Handles are ridgid, but you can stack one tote onto another as the handle slides up into the middle partition cavity of the above unit.

No, there is not slotting for standing screwdrivers and such, just basically two long rectangular bins on each side of the center handle. They work remarkably well though.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have both those totes. One is a Festool branded one, the other is a slightly cheaper but the same physically except its badging, made by Tanos.

Kevin, does the handle on top pivot flat? Also, what’s inside these totes? Do they have any attachment or something to drop in a dozen or so vertical tools like hammers, chisels, pliers, pry bars etc…?

Handles are ridgid, but you can stack one tote onto another as the handle slides up into the middle partition cavity of the above unit.

No, there is not slotting for standing screwdrivers and such, just basically two long rectangular bins on each side of the center handle. They work remarkably well though.

Thanks. The Craftsman tote has a removable vertical storage on one side, but it’s too skinny so it’s good for putty knives and screwdrivers.

CB
    Pro

To segue the topic back to Bosch for a moment, with respect to open hand carry trays as opposed to enclosed boxes, the handles of the open trays of the Sortimo system fold down horizontally, and do not have the handle nesting divider that interrupts the middle of the space in the tray:

(sorry if images are not turning up… I’ll keep trying different ways)

Doobie
    Pro

There’s a whole bunch of different totes out there. I went with my Tanos/Systainers totes largely because I was already on their platform and I knew I would be for a long time. So many lines of tool boxes and such come and go over the years. I have a host of older totes I’ve used before which are now just relegated as storage or job specific seldom needed totes for barious things around the house.

Festool and Tanos do make hand tool organizer tool boxes. They are pricey though. Basically they are optional inserts for their boxes. Some folks make their own inserts for their hand tools too.

CB
    Pro

So at the end of the day, it looks like Bosch is doing neither of either?

Bosch flirted with Tanos boxes, then jettisoned that idea and went with the Sortimo boxes, which have a longer and wider footprint that permits better horizontal fitment of tools like recip saws and the larger hammer drills.

But then, according to reports of BTP members here about Bosch tools no longer shipping in L boxxes as of last year, and according to what a local tool retailer tells me regarding not seeing a Bosch tool in an L boxx for the last year and a half, and according to what someone reported here regarding the L-Boxxes no longer being available in the redemption program… all evidence is pointing to Bosch dropping Sortimo as well?

The Sortimo website provides no indication of this, suggesting even that Bosch and Sortimo are financially connected in some way, but that’s hard to tell.

Some of the BTP members (or maybe former members?) have a fairly sizeable collection of LBoxxes. I remember being blown away at the photos of floor to ceiling stacks of these rather expensive, for an empty box, blue and red LBoxxes lining the walls of their garages. What are you guys going to do if you can’t get anymore of them?

Xedos
    Pro

FWIW – Sortimo pays a licensing fee / royalty to TANOS to construct the L-Boxxes. There was a suit several years ago by TANOS and that was the result.

I doubt Bosch has invested in Sortimo, their Annual Report doesn’t disclose any connection.

The Bosch branded T-Loc Systainers are legit. Chinese copycats aren’t going to waste their time on something that had little to no market to begin with. While popular with collectors and aficionados; Bosch Systainers don’t have a large enough demand to warrant tooling up to make fakes.

CB
    Pro

This is the link that made it sound as if Bosch and Sortimo were partners. Like I said, it was hard to tell the financial connection from the symbiotic suggestiveness of the article, but I didn’t go so far as to dig through the Annual Report of either company.

Bosch Professional and Sortimo – A joint success story

There are so many additional elements to the Sortimo L-Boxx set up that are NAINA, or at least NMINA, (M = “marketed”) that I really had no idea until looking further into it. I’m guessing that most of it is cost prohibitive to individual tradesmen.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Love the colors LOL.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Love the colors LOL.

Same here ,

Doobie
    Pro

This is the link that made it sound as if Bosch and Sortimo were partners. Like I said, it was hard to tell the financial connection from the symbiotic suggestiveness of the article, but I didn’t go so far as to dig through the Annual Report of either company.

Bosch Professional and Sortimo – A joint success story

There are so many additional elements to the Sortimo L-Boxx set up that are NAINA, or at least NMINA, (M = “marketed”) that I really had no idea until looking further into it. I’m guessing that most of it is cost prohibitive to individual tradesmen.

I’ve read years ago that it was Tanos that originally developed the Sortimo type boxx and sold it off to Sortimo and receives a royalty also since. Can’t recall where I heard it from, but it seemed to be a reliable source at the time as it always stuck with me in the back of my head.

CB
    Pro

The colors in the photo several of you liked, from the top…

Bosch
    Hilti

In that order of hierarchy, with all the other also rans on the bottom.

I think that was another psychological effect that influenced me to believe that Bosch and Sortimo were somehow entwined deeper together.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

But then, according to reports of BTP members here about Bosch tools no longer shipping in L boxxes as of last year, and according to what a local tool retailer tells me regarding not seeing a Bosch tool in an L boxx for the last year and a half, and according to what someone reported here regarding the L-Boxxes no longer being available in the redemption program… all evidence is pointing to Bosch dropping Sortimo as well?

No, Bosch is not dropping Sortimo.
    @cb
    Their research came to the conclusion that customers in NA prefer canvas bags or other tool storage options. They rather buy a bare tool and not a Tool in a lboxx kit.
    Bosch Germany is still going strong with their Lboxx tool kits.

Love the colors LOL.

Sortimo offers quite a few

Attachments:

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

CB
    Pro

Their research came to the conclusion that customers in NA prefer canvas bags or other tool storage options. They rather buy a bare tool and not a Tool in a lboxx kit.

I wonder how their researchers are reacting to the rampant sales success of the new Milwaukee Pack Out system?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Their research came to the conclusion that customers in NA prefer canvas bags or other tool storage options.

I wonder how their researchers are reacting to the rampant sales success of the new Milwaukee Pack Out system?

The stores can’t seem to keep them in stock. They are far better than the cheap crunchy Sortimo boxes and they sell!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve got a bunch of L-Boxxes now, probably upwards of 20 or so. Likely never would have gotten any if it wasn’t for this forum and acquiring soke initial tools that came in L-Boxxes. While I like that they have a wider body that has been essential in fitting some oddball tools, and that they are cheaper than Tanos or Festool Systainers, I still much prefer my Systainers for a bunch of reasons.

Now that I’m finding Makita Systainers dirt cheap relative to the cost to any of the above aforementioned options, I’m stocking up on those. Hopefully the Makitas aren’t of such lesser quality that I regret that action.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I’ve got a bunch of L-Boxxes now, probably upwards of 20 or so. Likely never would have gotten any if it wasn’t for this forum and acquiring soke initial tools that came in L-Boxxes. While I like that they have a wider body that has been essential in fitting some oddball tools, and that they are cheaper than Tanos or Festool Systainers, I still much prefer my Systainers for a bunch of reasons.

Now that I’m finding Makita Systainers dirt cheap relative to the cost to any of the above aforementioned options, I’m stocking up on those. Hopefully the Makitas aren’t of such lesser quality that I regret that action.

Actually same here Kevin , if it wasn’t for BTP I would not have bought any first because they are fairly expensive for what they are , and not to many places carry them
    Alty most people who see them are very impressed with the style and quality.

I have around 12 to 15

Prior to these my tools were stored in the original case or some MasterCraft carry and roll boxes.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I’ve got a bunch of L-Boxxes now, probably upwards of 20 or so.

Curious Kevin, reading your posts I got the feeling most of the work you do is around your house, yet these boxes are more suited for on the go storage and transport from job site to job site. Why do you store your tools in these boxes to begin with?

I can’t imagine having these boxes at home, I have seen pictures of some posts here with the L-boxxes stacked like the Empire State Building, and to access the box in the middle you need to move those above it out of the way which seems like a real big nuisance. I know some can open midstack but still, if it’s against the wall, or if you are dealing with heavy stuff, I certainly wouldn’t open a box midstack if there are 4 boxes on top. Even the LRACK is more for grabbing an entire parts organizer to go.

It would seem a system of shallow and deep drawers, and shelves would be much more effective, no?

CB
    Pro

The most recent entries to this thread finally connected the dots for me.

The Empire Stack of L-Boxxes seen in the photos and even the avatars of members of BTP… are unique to the micro culture that evolved on BTP, due to those members receiving all those L-Boxxes, often with tools in them, for free, likely under the earlier, more far more generous reward program.

Hence the perennial threads “I got a Boxx”, that gestated from members literally receiving L-Boxxes with frequent regularity, building up their tall stacks.

These were not purchase decisions. This wasn’t typical behavior. There was no trade of hard earned cash in exchange for hoped for organization and protection of tools. The popularity of L-Boxxes visible on the photos posted in the archives of this forum was merely a collectors party (while it lasted) unique to BTP.

I didn’t quite connect all the dots until just now.

You won’t. I have a lot of the Makitas, and they are clearly still Tanos made.

The metabo box is also cross compatible with systainers

I have a lot of Festool, Makita, and Metabo plus a few pure Tanos ones. My lboxxes are mostly replaced by them so they serve duty as attic storage bins now

The Festool fit perfectly in an 18 inch wide ikea cabinet which is what my shop is full of – it’s a great organization and I can build a stack for whatever projects I’m into.

Back to the original question.

These are the boxes I was selling on eBay.
    These are genuine Tanos boxes which have been branded with the Bosch Logo.
    As others have pointed out Bosch no longer use Tanos boxes.
    And as most of my tools are in Tanos systainers I wanted some boxes for my own Bosch tools which were compatible with the Tanos system, I was able to order these in the correct Bosch color and I had the Bosch Branding added. I also thought others might like to have matching boxes so I listed a few of the surplus ones I had on eBay.
    I thought I had made it clear in my listing that theses were Genuine Tanos boxes with Bosch branding.
    But I just wanted to clear up any misunderstanding.

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.781 seconds